5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radar Detector

41magmag41

Reaction score
Im going to throw my 2 cents worth in here. Save your money, most departments have gone to laser units or air patrol. If you do find a department running radar with a new quality units your aleady in the bag by the time your unit warns. Most Departments wlll give you 10 mph over, there are enough idiots out there running higher than that.

Cortesio

Reaction score
Do you just not use your sun visor?

I’m tall enough lowering the sun visor blocks my view of the road so I’ve never used them much in any car I’ve driven. With how the RD is positioned I can lower the visor so it’s straight down but if I push it much more towards the windshield it’ll hit the buttons. I know this because my average height wife is in the habit of slamming the visor down to block the sun every time she drives the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cortesio

Reaction score
Im going to throw my 2 cents worth in here. Save your money, most departments have gone to laser units or air patrol. If you do find a department running radar with a new quality units your aleady in the bag by the time your unit warns. Most Departments wlll give you 10 mph over, there are enough idiots out there running higher than that.

I’m not sure where you read this but virtually every word of it isn’t true. Laser units cannot be used while moving. Due to the nature of LIDAR, it must be specifically aimed at a targeted car. Useful for stationary speeds traps, but have absolutely not replaced radar units. If LIDAR is a concern, an active counter measure (laser jammer) needs to be employed because detecting a LIDAR signal almost definitely means an officer is specifically targeting you. I don’t have a laser jammer so I turned laser detection off. It also is not in wide use in my area.

Virtually every patrol car in this country used for traffic enforcement still has a radar unit installed. Radar is not some mystical thing that has somehow advanced beyond the realm of science. Devices transmitting electromagnetic radiation (like these radar units) are regulated by the FCC. There are certain bands of frequencies that they are allowed to transmit in that are public knowledge. In its simplest form, an RD is merely an antenna used to detect radio waves in the bands used for police radar. That detection range can measure in the miles depending on terrain. Due to the way radio waves propagate through space, you don’t have to be targeted to detect the signal.

In practice, this means in the unlikely case an officer has his radar off and only turns it on to measure your speed, you’re right that your detection will be too late. However the more common situation is that an officer either has the radar turned on full time or is intermittently using it to measure passing cars. In either of these cases, you are warned well in advance of the officer even seeing you.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only been lazed one time that I am aware of, by the very well to do off state troopers of tax-a-maryland.
Air patrol... Have not seen one on east coast since the eighties, signs are still up how ever. Maybe Cali can afford them?
The bottom line is that WAZE, RD and if you still have a CB? are your friends.

Cortesio

Reaction score
Only been lazed one time that I am aware of, by the very well to do off state troopers of tax-a-maryland.
Air patrol... Have not seen one on east coast since the eighties, signs are still up how ever. Maybe Cali can afford them?
The bottom line is that WAZE, RD and if you still have a CB? are your friends.

The state patrol does some air speed enforcement in my area but it’s very uncommon. Waze and an RD cover me enough for my needs.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m not sure where you read this but virtually every word of it isn’t true. Laser units cannot be used while moving. Due to the nature of LIDAR, it must be specifically aimed at a targeted car. Useful for stationary speeds traps, but have absolutely not replaced radar units. If LIDAR is a concern, an active counter measure (laser jammer) needs to be employed because detecting a LIDAR signal almost definitely means an officer is specifically targeting you. I don’t have a laser jammer so I turned laser detection off. It also is not in wide use in my area.

Virtually every patrol car in this country used for traffic enforcement still has a radar unit installed. Radar is not some mystical thing that has somehow advanced beyond the realm of science. Devices transmitting electromagnetic radiation (like these radar units) are regulated by the FCC. There are certain bands of frequencies that they are allowed to transmit in that are public knowledge. In its simplest form, an RD is merely an antenna used to detect radio waves in the bands used for police radar. That detection range can measure in the miles depending on terrain. Due to the way radio waves propagate through space, you don’t have to be targeted to detect the signal.

In practice, this means in the unlikely case an officer has his radar off and only turns it on to measure your speed, you’re right that your detection will be too late. However the more common situation is that an officer either has the radar turned on full time or is intermittently using it to measure passing cars. In either of these cases, you are warned well in advance of the officer even seeing you.

This is 100% accurate. Very well said.

41magmag41

Reaction score
yes air patrol is used quite a bit here in New hampshire. The cost ratio for air patrol is about 85.00 and hour, one ticket will pay for that and the rest is gravy for the state.

Hate to burst your bubble but laser can be used on the move with a cruiser. Ive seen the units.

41magmag41

Reaction score
todays units, radar. can remain hot until the officer hits a button which allows the signal to be generated and sent out, then it turns the radar signal off until the next time the officer hits the hot button. Unless you are next to the car being clocked you would get an error reading for 3 to 5 seconds and thats all. Trust me by the time your device reads that there is a unit near by, youve already been had. Should you get caught with a laser jammer its confiscation time and a rather a large fine

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Should you get caught with a laser jammer its confiscation time and a rather a large fine

depends on the state. Most states laser jammers are legal. In a handful, they are not. They also having “parking detection sensor” mode so with a press of a button they behave like sensors only but that’s for another discussion. Radar jamming on the other hand is very illegal, everywhere.

here’s a good article on jammers and why you might even want to consider them in states where they are illegal:

Last edited:

41magmag41

Reaction score
I think if you check with the FCC, which radar and laser units come under, radar and laser jammers are a no no, thus in ALL states they are a no no. To Mr Cortesio, the newer laser units can be used on the move in the cruiser.

Cortesio

Reaction score
I think if you check with the FCC, which radar and laser units come under, radar and laser jammers are a no no, thus in ALL states they are a no no. To Mr Cortesio, the newer laser units can be used on the move in the cruiser.

You should go ahead and check with the FCC on that. They have as much regulatory control over laser jammers as they do flashlights.

And no, due to the operating principle behind LIDAR, they are not used on the move. This isn’t something that is overcome by a “new” version. It is an inherent design element.

Cortesio

Reaction score
todays units, radar. can remain hot until the officer hits a button which allows the signal to be generated and sent out, then it turns the radar signal off until the next time the officer hits the hot button. Unless you are next to the car being clocked you would get an error reading for 3 to 5 seconds and thats all. Trust me by the time your device reads that there is a unit near by, youve already been had. Should you get caught with a laser jammer its confiscation time and a rather a large fine

I don’t think you have a good understanding of the physics behind how radar works. A radar detector is scanning for the presence of a radio signal within a specific band. The signal is either there or it isn’t. Because of that, radar detectors don’t have an “error” mode. If a radar signal is emitted in the detectable range of a radar detector (again could be miles) then the radar detector will detect it.

Patsy1099

Reaction score

that is incorrect. Radar jammers are illegal. Laser jammers are legal in most states. Read the link above for more info

Patsy1099

Reaction score

ThomasFlood

Reaction score
I’m been researching the radar detectors, what brand you all recommend? Where are you mounting it? I’ve seen several rear view mirror mounts where it isn’t as noticeable meeting cops. Has anyone had any luck with it?

Hi, I'm using radar detector since 2018 and I mounted my radar on windshield and I never got into trouble but It'll be good idea to mount it with rear view mirror and there's no problem with where ever you mount it if it's 360 and if you are still looking for radar detector then feel free to read it here

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They may be legal but if the cop sees one or even the mount, you are getting a ticket. Ask me how I know.....

N0cturnal

Reaction score
My vote is for Uniden R7 due to front and back antennas and directional arrows, which helps when the State Trooper is coming from behind, or if it is a false positive due to a cop passing by on the opposite side of the highway.

I also use Waze, but RD has saved my bacon couple of times and paid for itself. Waze becomes useless when you go out to NH, ME, or remote areas of PA and NY. Not many people report cop sightings and other things on Waze.. and then you hear Beep Beep of KA band and you check you speed. I don't usually speed, but use it as a tool for awareness around me. My second and last speeding ticket was in California in 2009.

TheLegend

Reaction score
Uniden R8 is the way to go it has BlueTooth now and you can run it with HighwayRadar app (Android only) on the app you can set custom rules to cut down on K band false alerts, pulls reporting for location of cops, aircraft’s, speed cameras, and red light cameras. It’s amazing and you will not be disappointed best setup you can do IMO. You also could do similar with the V1G1 and their APP.

Users who are viewing this thread