5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R&D for a plug-n-play Ram specific dashcam wiring kit

dongar llc

Reaction score
Hey forum. I wanted to gauge the possibility of a Ram specific plug-n-play dash cam wiring adapter. This adapter would be unique in that it takes the 12V power running through your autodimming mirror, and steps it down to a 5V USB output... all condensed into a 2.75" jumper harness. I've been making these for the Toyota guys and they love them. Check it out here.

So the biggest barrier I see for doing this on a Ram is that the terminal housing (connector on harness) is relatively inaccessible on your guys' trucks. I can tell that at the very least you have to at least remove the mirror. Possibly some other plastic housing or headliner too. Does anybody have any insight as to how much effort mirror removal would require and if there's approximately 2.5" of clearance for a jumper harness? I have all the parts necessary to launch something like this by late May. I am also happy to send prototypes out soon for testing. Thanks for the help.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be willing to test. I was planning on buying a dash cam soon. From what I have gathered its not really a big deal to access the wiring under the mirror. Give me a few and I'll find the thread for people adding the rain sensors.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Instructions on how to remove the cover, there is plenty of room in there.
Where the cover meets the wire shroud that runs to the headliner there is a plastic clip on each side. I stuck a little screwdriver in to pry the larger cover piece up away from the shroud while wiggling the shroud a little bit. Then did the same on the other side. Once both clips are disengaged you can pull the shroud down from the top at the headliner. It should just slide out at that point.

For the cover, there are two clips that hold it onto the mirror. I rotated the cover clockwise a little while pulling the side outwards. Then wiggled the other side to get it off.

dongar llc

Reaction score
Instructions on how to remove the cover, there is plenty of room in there.
Where the cover meets the wire shroud that runs to the headliner there is a plastic clip on each side. I stuck a little screwdriver in to pry the larger cover piece up away from the shroud while wiggling the shroud a little bit. Then did the same on the other side. Once both clips are disengaged you can pull the shroud down from the top at the headliner. It should just slide out at that point.

For the cover, there are two clips that hold it onto the mirror. I rotated the cover clockwise a little while pulling the side outwards. Then wiggled the other side to get it off.
Thanks for the thread... this is incredibly useful. Would you say that this is something most people would be comfortable with? It sounds straight forward but I think I'd be worried about people damaging other components behind that shroud. Also, would you say there's room between the shroud and the windshield to slip a USB cable under?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is in no way meant to be negative however it’s extremely simple to run the power cable along the top of the windshield and down the Pillar into the fuse box. The camera shroud for our trucks is large as you know and mounting locations a matter of taste /functionality due to the physical size of the various cams. I like simple as well maybe these are the right route for some members here.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the thread... this is incredibly useful. Would you say that this is something most people would be comfortable with? It sounds straight forward but I think I'd be worried about people damaging other components behind that shroud. Also, would you say there's room between the shroud and the windshield to slip a USB cable under?
Anything that doesnt require me to run more wire than I have to is worth it to me. Yes there is enough room to fit a usb cable and unless you are a total klutz you shouldnt be able to damage anything under there.

jrr907

Reaction score
Hi, dongar
I would be more than happy to test one of ur prototype usb connector. When you have them available. Just contact me.
Thanks,

dongar llc

Reaction score
Sending out some prototype stuff to the 3 gentlemen who PM'd me. Prototypes are good for adapters requiring less than 1.5A or so.

I haven't seen one of the mirrors in person yet, but I believe I selected the proper connectors and crimp terminals based on looking at photos of used mirrors on ebay, etc, as well as the factory service manuals and the service site (the vehicle OEM part #s of these things always differ from the actual supplier OEM part number). If the connectors mate (I'm hoping they do), let's figure out the optimal length of the wires between the connectors and the USB module. The USB module could be put on an 8" wire, for example. If this is all sorted out properly, I'll plan for a production run with a nicer USB module or consider adding additional pins for the older Rams (these have an integrated phone mic in the last generation, it appears...).

IMG_1543.JPG

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sending out some prototype stuff to the 3 gentlemen who PM'd me. Prototypes are good for adapters requiring less than 1.5A or so.

I haven't seen one of the mirrors in person yet, but I believe I selected the proper connectors and crimp terminals based on looking at photos of used mirrors on ebay, etc, as well as the factory service manuals and the service site (the vehicle OEM part #s of these things always differ from the actual supplier OEM part number). If the connectors mate (I'm hoping they do), let's figure out the optimal length of the wires between the connectors and the USB module. The USB module could be put on an 8" wire, for example. If this is all sorted out properly, I'll plan for a production run with a nicer USB module or consider adding additional pins for the older Rams (these have an integrated phone mic in the last generation, it appears...).

View attachment 54816
Would this harness also work on a radar detector?

dongar llc

Reaction score
Would this harness also work on a radar detector?

Some radar detectors are switching to 5V USB power yes, but pretty much 99% of them sold historically have just run off 12V vehicle system. I can also make breakout cables with these same parts (literally the harness in my pics without the USB module soldered to it), if you want to hook up your own 12V detector.

zlman

Reaction score
You beta testers....Take LOTS of pics as you remove the cover and splice in. Post how to pics and vids, I'm fairly handy but the fear of wrecking something on my truck paralyzes me sometimes.
If it's as easy as some think, I will buy one.

dongar llc

Reaction score
Two people have confirmed the adapter has worked for them. Install looks pretty straight forward. The riskiest step is removing the plastic shroud.

I'm hoping to gather any more thoughts on length, etc.. It takes roughly up to a month to have the parts & boards made and then adapters manufactured so ETA will be 2nd half of June.

Arth

Reaction score
Yeah I'd be in too. Personally I would increase the length a little just so the buyer has choice as to where they want to mount the dash cam. I am running a dash cam right now using micro usb and I have mounted to the right of the mirror.

bribout

Reaction score
I'm pretty pumped for this, I stopped my installation of my garmin mini dash cam until this product becomes available, looking forward to it.

dongar llc

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been swamped with projects recently but have commissioned just a relatively small run of these adapters to feel out the market. It looks like the 1500 shares the same connector and wiring in the Pacifica and Durango. Should be ready by the end of June and will include a shorty 8" USB microUSB cable if purchased from my webshop. You can follow me on IG @dongartechnologies where I'll also announce when ready.

Merchant Mafia

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been swamped with projects recently but have commissioned just a relatively small run of these adapters to feel out the market. It looks like the 1500 shares the same connector and wiring in the Pacifica and Durango. Should be ready by the end of June and will include a shorty 8" USB microUSB cable if purchased from my webshop. You can follow me on IG @dongartechnologies where I'll also announce when ready.
When the truck is turned off I’m assuming there is not power to run a dash cam in parking mode using your connector correct?

Users who are viewing this thread