5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quiet A/T tire?

Btharp2624

Reaction score
First of all, does this exist? I’m probably in the same boat as a lot of others. Going for an aggressive look, but quiet on the pavement.

Currently have 275/60r20 wrangler duratracs. Seem a little noisy for my taste, but the guy at discount tore said these are the most quiet a/t tire available. Any truth to that statement? I don’t have any experience with other a/t tires.

Any recommendations on a quiet a/t? If not I’ll probably go with Michelin defender ltx m/s.

Thanks!

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor ones on my Outdoorsman and liked them if you wanted to stay with Goodyear

RodRow

Reaction score
I have been VERY pleasantly surprised by the lack of road noise on my Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They ride great, look great and handle awesome. We will see how loud they get after 25k miles. :unsure:

Btharp2624

Reaction score
Also forgot to mention I live in MN so winter traction is pretty important.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look st
First of all, does this exist? I’m probably in the same boat as a lot of others. Going for an aggressive look, but quiet on the pavement.

Currently have 275/60r20 wrangler duratracs. Seem a little noisy for my taste, but the guy at discount tore said these are the most quiet a/t tire available. Any truth to that statement? I don’t have any experience with other a/t tires.

Any recommendations on a quiet a/t? If not I’ll probably go with Michelin defender ltx m/s.

Thanks!
Michelin LTX A/T’s. They aren’t as aggressive as most but they are super quiet and more aggressive than an M/S. I put 40k miles on mine on my 2016 F150 FX4. Never had any issues and they still had close to 50% tread left on them.

eskiv80

Reaction score
I had General Grabber AT2s on my 2015 express and they were fairly quiet for the 40k miles i had them before trading it in. They were a great all around tire. I think General tire replaced the AT3 with the ATX. That is probably what I will go with when I need tires for the '19.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
I had Cooper Discoverer AT3's on my last rig, nice and quiet for 30k miles (when I sold it... still plenty of tread). Good in snow even though not "severe snow" rated (just M+S), at least for the size I had. I'll likely get the newer version (AT3 XLT) when I tire of the stock Falkens (which don't seem like bad tires so far other than being undersized in my opinion). The Coopers seemed quieter than BF Goodrich All Terrain KOs as well as Wrangler Silent Armor (no longer made, but I went through 2 sets. Probably would have gotten a 3rd (even though I don't like Wranglers usually) set, but they were discontinued. After having owned the Cooper AT3 I think it is a better tire (quieter, lasted longer, better wet traction, snow was about the same). YMMV.

MacDuff

Reaction score
Recent experience with 4 fairly aggressive tires, I drive 130 miles each day mostly highway. Wanted the "look" but not the noise.

Current tire - BF Goodrich KO 2 - Best of the bunch, VERY quiet ride for an AT. Great ride, great wet and snow traction, 3 peak rated. Very happy with these after trying the other 3 below.
Nitto Ridge Grappler - Another solid tire, quiet, good ride, traction good, just not quite at the level of the BF Goodrich during my use.
Yokohama Geolandar MT G003 - Advertised as the most quiet M/T you can buy. Not bad for an M/T, but at the end of the day still too noisy for me. Not an A/T replacement in terms of noise levels.
OEM Falken Wildpeak AT3/W - Another good tire, very quiet, 3 peak rated on non OEM version. Didn't keep mine because I wanted larger tires and like the look of the BF Goodrich better.

I fought the BF Goodrich purchase despite all of the good things I'd heard about them. I didn't want to follow the crowd, in this case the crowd was right..lol

Last edited:

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks!
I just put on Toyo Open Country RT's and they are awesome!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Recent experience with 4 fairly aggressive tires, I drive 130 miles each day mostly highway. Wanted the "look" but not the noise.

Current tire - BF Goodrich KO 2 - Best of the bunch, VERY quiet ride for an AT. Great ride, great wet and snow traction, 3 peak rated. Very happy with these after trying the other 3 below.
Nitto Ridge Grappler - Another solid tire, quiet, good ride, traction good, just not quite at the level of the BF Goodrich during my use.
Yokohama Geolandar MT G003 - Advertised as the most quiet M/T you can buy. Not bad for an M/T, but at the end of the day still too noisy for me. Not an A/T replacement in terms of noise levels.
OEM Falken Wildpeak AT3/W - Another good tire, very quiet, 3 peak rated on non OEM version. Didn't keep mine because I wanted larger tires and like the look of the BF Goodrich better.

I fought the BF Goodrich purchase despite all of the good things I'd heard about them. I didn't want to follow the crowd, in this case they were right..lol
I ran three sets of the BFGs on my previous truck; I couldn’t think of a reason to go with something else. When it comes time to replace these OEM Falkens...

machz

Reaction score

Thanks!

All true AT tires are going to have some noise and the duratracs are surprisingly quiet. I have also had good luck with BFG and Toyo but they are so close you would have to run them back to back to hear any difference. If you are not happy with duratrac's you are not going to be happy with any true AT tire IMO. I would look for a more aggressive all season tire as the sidewalls are going to be softer to absorb some of the noise and have smaller lugs.

Truckin

Reaction score

Thanks!
Guy at Discount needs a hearing aid...I have 275/65 R20 BFG KO2's and I assure you these are much quieter than Duratracs, they are also a great all round A/T tire. Yes, they do cost more than most but you do get what you pay for. These ride smooth, quite and track straight as an arrow...For an A/T tire. Are they as quite as a Michelin all season tire-of course not.

clarkehaven

Reaction score

Thanks!

i just put LT275/65R20 Continental TerrainContact A/T on my limited...rides better than stock tires and I hear no difference... and looks a helluva lot better (switched from 22" with ridiculous Goodyear car tires on them)

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i just put LT275/65R20 Continental TerrainContact A/T on my limited...rides better than stock tires and I hear no difference... and looks a helluva lot better (switched from 22" with ridiculous Goodyear car tires on them)

Pics?

Btharp2624

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

I ended up swapping out the duratracs for the continental terrain contact a/t. Not as aggressive looking as the duratracs, but way Quieter. So far real happy with the switch.

Attachments

• 14D4BBCD-7AEA-4EBA-9E1C-48DFEF1559BD.jpeg
    14D4BBCD-7AEA-4EBA-9E1C-48DFEF1559BD.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 613
  • 3D9274B6-CB44-46D8-9AB5-15ABD7C44104.jpeg
    3D9274B6-CB44-46D8-9AB5-15ABD7C44104.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 607

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

I ended up swapping out the duratracs for the continental terrain contact a/t. Not as aggressive looking as the duratracs, but way Quieter. So far real happy with the switch.

What size and how much?

Side note: what tonneau cover do you have?

Btharp2624

Reaction score
What size and how much?

Side note: what tonneau cover do you have?

275/60r20
$211/tire

Tonneau is revolver X4, but am swapping that for the MX4. Not impressed with the security of the revolver. With the tailgate locked I can reach in with my hand and pull the release cable to open the cover.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Falken Wildpeak AT3/W is the OEM A/T for Off-Road Group equipped Rams. They are very quiet and ride smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread