5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quiet A/T tire?

goose2

Reaction score
I have the Falken wildpeak tires that come from the factory on the Offroad package and they hum like hell on fresh paved road. I’m changing them out soon.

Attachments

• 63ECCCBC-74A6-4402-997D-09FCBED1FC65.jpeg
    63ECCCBC-74A6-4402-997D-09FCBED1FC65.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 111

67 RT

Reaction score
there are several types of wildpeaks, he might have one of the noisier ones. The at3w is very quiet but i dont have your ears.

He must have the noisy ones, b/c I have hearing impairment. And that is not BS. Lol.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Minimum noise.

Oooh, purty! AND, your truck is the same color as mine - thanks for the preview of what my truck would look like (ok, I have the 22s, but close!).

-John

moparleo51

Reaction score
i have the falken wildpeaks a/t 3 and it seems like a good tire so far for me, way better then the crappy goodyears , IMO

Attachments

• 20190928_155203.jpg
    20190928_155203.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 135

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oooh, purty! AND, your truck is the same color as mine - thanks for the preview of what my truck would look like (ok, I have the 22s, but close!).

-John
Thanks, John. A few more pics. I'm really liking these tires. They ride great and the noise is minimum.

Attachments

• Nitto Ridge Grappler 9.jpg
    Nitto Ridge Grappler 9.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Nitto Ridge Grappler 8.jpg
    Nitto Ridge Grappler 8.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 257
  • Nitto Ridge Grappler 7.jpg
    Nitto Ridge Grappler 7.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 257

Savagescott

Reaction score
I just put 295/60/20 Terra Grappler G2s on my Limited. Not thrilled with the noise level - they're louder than I expected based on some reviews and counseling from Discount Tire and I'd say the ride is just OK... so, I'm considering a change, too, but I don't know if my expectations are out-of-line - maybe they're really quiet for an AT. I'd love to know more from you that have direct head-head experience with the G2.

BTW.. no fitment issues with the tires/wheels - I've not heard any rubbing, etc. Offset is +2.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I stopped at Discount Tire last night to have the lugs re-torqued and had a conversation with a very helpful rep. He said in his experience with many AT tires, the G2 is one of the quiets. He said the Ridge Grappler may be a bit quieter but not really noticeable and in his opinion, the G2 is much better in snow.

He rode with me to confirm the G2s are pretty quiet. As a comparison, he let me drive his truck with new BFG KO2s and they were definitely louder, especially under 30 mph.

To get any quieter he suggested the Michelins but they obviously don't have the look most of us are going for.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you leveled? Thats the size Nittos I want but thought I'd need a level to get that size and I don't see it in your signature

No. It's not leveled or lifted. I do get a little bit of rub in reverse when the steering wheel is turned all the way. For example, when backing up out a parking spot. The tires hit a little bit of the plastic wheel liner when fully turned in reverse. I could trim the plastic a bit, but is so minor I haven't done so. Hope this helps with your decision. And here's a pic showing the stance.

Attachments

• Nitto Ridge Grappler 4.jpg
    Nitto Ridge Grappler 4.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 181

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. It's not leveled or lifted. I do get a little bit of rub in reverse when the steering wheel is turned all the way. For example, when backing up out a parking spot. The tires hit a little bit of the plastic wheel liner when fully turned in reverse. I could trim the plastic a bit, but is so minor I haven't done so. Hope this helps with your decision. And here's a pic showing the stance.
Love it. Not sure if I wanna level which is why I asked. May just trim the rubbing area - I guess ill decide soon. Thanks!

ab46501

Reaction score
285/60/20 Cooper AT3 XLT. I debated a long time before ordering these tires. Over the years I have had most of the AT tires out there. Toyo's ATII, Wrangler Duratracs and BFG KO2's were my most recent. I was looking at these and Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Everyone in my area seems to have either KO2 or Ridge Grappler so I decided to go with something different and chose the Coopers.

I have to say I am extremely pleased with them. Very quiet and smooth on road and look a lot more aggressive in person than they do in pictures. My son even made the comment that he thought they looked more aggressive than the KO2. The tread pattern is more traditional but the lugs are farther apart than they appear in pictures. The sidewall looks really good also.

Attachments

• 20191017_113046.jpg
    20191017_113046.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 251
  • 20191017_113111.jpg
    20191017_113111.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 251

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I had G2’s on my Tacoma and they were by far the loudest tire (AT or MT) that I’d ever heard. I’m not sure if I had a defective lot or what the issue was but the noise was awful. I bought my Ram leveled with 35x12.5 Procomp A/T Sport’s. They’re not as loud as my G2’s but you’ll definitely hear a drone with the radio down.

That is weird - my G2s aren't any louder than factory.

CHENSLEY78

Reaction score
I have Nitto Ridge Grappler 33x12.5x20. 21k miles. Tires are very noisy. Last Ram had Cooper Discoverer AT 3’s and were much quieter even at 40k miles. I would never recommend the Ridge Grapplers and will be replacing in the next few weeks.
The whole reason I’m looking at this thread is to find a quiet all-terrain tire. I’m disappointed to see some recommending the Ridge Grapplers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have Nitto Ridge Grappler 33x12.5x20. 21k miles. Tires are very noisy. Last Ram had Cooper Discoverer AT 3’s and were much quieter even at 40k miles. I would never recommend the Ridge Grapplers and will be replacing in the next few weeks.
The whole reason I’m looking at this thread is to find a quiet all-terrain tire. I’m disappointed to see some recommending the Ridge Grapplers.

You've given me something to think about, I was going to get a set of Ridge Grapplers because my buddies say that Ridge Grapplers are very quiet, some absolutely raving about them. Maybe you got a bum set or maybe they have become cupped over time and got louder?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm with you on that. I have about 25k on my ridge grapplers and these things have gotten noisy. I have rotated every 5kish and they are wearing very even but that humming at highway speed ugh.
I haven't been impressed with the performance in snow either.

EDIT:. I had BFG KO2's on my last truck and they were much quieter but didn't wear as even my Ridge Grapplers despite rotating them regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread