5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quiet A/T tire?

Iluvbitsie

Reaction score
I would say no more than 2 mpg difference. went from a 32" tire to a 34" tire so I re-calibrated the speedo with the rough country unit.

We pull a 2 horse bumper pull trailer with ours as well. The LT tires feel much more secure and stable......still very pleased with the
Continental A/T's
Thank you. Do you feel it needed the load e tire for the horse trailer? Hard asking people that don’t haul animals for safety

Iluvbitsie

Reaction score
I would say no more than 2 mpg difference. went from a 32" tire to a 34" tire so I re-calibrated the speedo with the rough country unit.

We pull a 2 horse bumper pull trailer with ours as well. The LT tires feel much more secure and stable......still very pleased with the
Continental A/T's
Also did u do a level kit? Need airbags to not sag while towing?

clarkehaven

Reaction score
Also did u do a level kit? Need airbags to not sag while towing?
My truck has air suspension so it self levels. Before the RAM I had a 2016 suburban that we pulled the trailer with and I HAD to put air bags in the rear coil springs to tow properly . I used the 1000lb bags and they were inexpensive and worked well....I did not install a compressor just a valve in the rear that a used to adjust air pressure in the bags.

as far as the tires go.....if you air up your rear tires to max pressure while towing you should be fine (depending on your tongue weight) My truck had 22" wheels and "car tires" on it and I had already bent one wheel. I feel much more secure with the E rated tires but they might be a little harsh on those CA roads.

Iluvbitsie

Reaction score
My truck has air suspension so it self levels. Before the RAM I had a 2016 suburban that we pulled the trailer with and I HAD to put air bags in the rear coil springs to tow properly . I used the 1000lb bags and they were inexpensive and worked well....I did not install a compressor just a valve in the rear that a used to adjust air pressure in the bags.

as far as the tires go.....if you air up your rear tires to max pressure while towing you should be fine (depending on your tongue weight) My truck had 22" wheels and "car tires" on it and I had already bent one wheel. I feel much more secure with the E rated tires but they might be a little harsh on those CA roads.
Thank you so much for your help. I kno wit the e rated tires it’s to pull a lot . My trailer is 3100 without a horse so prob b around 4,500 with one and never over 7000. Still my Toyo 275/60r20 be ok? Not e rated

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is your load rating at max pressure?

My Ridge Grapplers are XL rated (2756 lbs @ 50 psi) which is not a whole lot less than the E-rated versions (3415 lbs @ 80 psi). Granted the 10-ply sidewalls will be a lot stiffer and provide better support for the load but you won't have a lot of tongue load.

I'm coming from the 3/4 ton diesel world and have always run E-rated tires but I also had an 8000 lb truck to put them on. Now that I have a gas truck (with 3.21 gears) I am a little more conscious about what I do. I was going to go to an E-rated tire (stiffer sidewalls and deeper tread) but changed my mind after I found out that they are 10+ lbs more than an XL or C-rated counterpart. Since my max towing capacity is only ~8,100 lbs (3.21 gears) I have no worries about pulling that around with my tires.

Just my .02

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is your load rating at max pressure?

My Ridge Grapplers are XL rated (2756 lbs @ 50 psi) which is not a whole lot less than the E-rated versions (3415 lbs @ 80 psi). Granted the 10-ply sidewalls will be a lot stiffer and provide better support for the load but you won't have a lot of tongue load.

I'm coming from the 3/4 ton diesel world and have always run E-rated tires but I also had an 8000 lb truck to put them on. Now that I have a gas truck (with 3.21 gears) I am a little more conscious about what I do. I was going to go to an E-rated tire (stiffer sidewalls and deeper tread) but changed my mind after I found out that they are 10+ lbs more than an XL or C-rated counterpart. Since my max towing capacity is only ~8,100 lbs (3.21 gears) I have no worries about pulling that around with my tires.

Just my .02

What tires/size do you have?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I stuck with the stock size: 275/65-18.

I thought about going "+1" and going to 275/70-18 and bumping up to a 33" tire like the Rebel but personal choices (tires available, price, potential fuel economy) were not enough for me to pull the trigger for an extra 1/2" of ground clearance.

BigDsLimited

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

I ended up swapping out the duratracs for the continental terrain contact a/t. Not as aggressive looking as the duratracs, but way Quieter. So far real happy with the switch.

I will recommend them also! Just took my Laramie on a mountain camping trip with the 285/45R22 Conti TerrainContacts and they very highway smooth and took the high grade gravel roads like a champ. It was pretty dry so never saw any mud.

Attachments

• IMG_20190702_095307.jpg
    IMG_20190702_095307.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 300

Tundralag

Reaction score
I took off the Bridgestone Duelers and put on Cooper AT3 4s tires.. Wow what a difference. Quiet, Look Great, Reviews say they are great in the snow. of course here in Hellpaso it doesn't snow much.. but when I go to PA this winter for Deer season they will come in handy.
I haven't noticed any difference in my mileage either.. but I am on my first tank since new.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Third on the Ridge Grapplers. For an A/T tire these are amazingly quiet. They look fantastic and ride great to!

11388fc09a1ef16dfb5392db8ef31a7a.jpg

—-|||RAM|||-—
Phil

sent from my mobile device
Phil - I'm considering the 285/60r20 Ridge Grapplers on my stock Longhorn wheels. My truck is not lifted, leveled, etc. I'm assuming your Ram is not lifted either and that you had no issues with fitment, rubbing, etc.?

Thanks

BlckDT

Reaction score
Phil - I'm considering the 285/60r20 Ridge Grapplers on my stock Longhorn wheels. My truck is not lifted, leveled, etc. I'm assuming your Ram is not lifted either and that you had no issues with fitment, rubbing, etc.?

Thanks

I am not lifted and no air suspension. There is slight rubbing at full lock forward/reverse. It’s the flimsy inner wheel liner which can be zip tied or pinned back without any visual differences. I am planning to get my lift soon so I’m not worried about it right now. 90% of the time I don’t hear it since im typically not fully locking a turn.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am not lifted and no air suspension. There is slight rubbing at full lock forward/reverse. It’s the flimsy inner wheel liner which can be zip tied or pinned back without any visual differences. I am planning to get my lift soon so I’m not worried about it right now. 90% of the time I don’t hear it since im typically not fully locking a turn.
Thanks. Sounds like the slight rub on the wheel liner is easily remedied.

MB13

Reaction score
Third on the Ridge Grapplers. For an A/T tire these are amazingly quiet. They look fantastic and ride great to!

11388fc09a1ef16dfb5392db8ef31a7a.jpg

—-|||RAM|||-—
Phil

sent from my mobile device
Side note: Where did you get your black lug nuts from?

BlckDT

Reaction score

41magmag41

Reaction score
falkin wildpeak at3w is an excellent choice. Just put a set on my 2019 Bighorn and love them. Had them on the taco before this and my son is still running them. Quiet, grip is great in both snow and rain. there were times here in New Hampshire I never needed to engage the 4x4 on the taco with snow because the gripped so well.

67 RT

Reaction score
All I know is my neighbor has some Falken Wildpeaks on his brand new Silverado and i can hear the humming sound from the tires all the way up and down the street. I have Hankook AT2 that came on my FIL truck when he died and they drive pretty well and I don’t hear anything from the tires.

Leveled

Reaction score
I had G2’s on my Tacoma and they were by far the loudest tire (AT or MT) that I’d ever heard. I’m not sure if I had a defective lot or what the issue was but the noise was awful. I bought my Ram leveled with 35x12.5 Procomp A/T Sport’s. They’re not as loud as my G2’s but you’ll definitely hear a drone with the radio down.

41magmag41

Reaction score
All I know is my neighbor has some Falken Wildpeaks on his brand new Silverado and i can hear the humming sound from the tires all the way up and down the street. I have Hankook AT2 that came on my FIL truck when he died and they drive pretty well and I don’t hear anything from the tires.

there are several types of wildpeaks, he might have one of the noisier ones. The at3w is very quiet but i dont have your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread