5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions/help on powered running board install

tuner1129

Reaction score
Any word on whether these are controllable after installed or flashed by dealer? I just had mine added at dealership and they work fine with open/close of door. However, I do not see them on my MOPAR vehicle site, nor an app in UConnect to control them. I'm wondering if the dealer just did not flash them to the vehicle, or if there is no independent control. Anybody have a picture of where the UConnect control is/what it looks like?
If the dealership installed them you should be able to see them in you uconnect apps. I never had them flash it because they all want $200 for 5 mins to add the sales code. My works perfectly and I did it myself. If you dont see it them go back and have them add the sales code and make sure they dont try to charge you. It happen to one of my friends, but I got his money back since the installation includes the add of the sales code. Sorry I dont have a picture of where it should be located.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

timtlu

Reaction score
If the dealership installed them you should be able to see them in you uconnect apps. I never had them flash it because they all want $200 for 5 mins to add the sales code. My works perfectly and I did it myself. If you dont see it them go back and have them add the sales code and make sure they dont try to charge you. It happen to one of my friends, but I got his money back since the installation includes the add of the sales code. Sorry I dont have a picture of where it should be located.

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking the dealer didn't do it correctly. Stopped by and they said they added it, might take a day to show up on UConnect? Doesn't sound right, but I'll give it a shot.

You spoke about sales code. Im assuming that refers to the service sales, not the parts? The parts were bought through a different dealer than I had install. Should that make any difference? Thanks again to those who know better how this works than I do.

tuner1129

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'm thinking the dealer didn't do it correctly. Stopped by and they said they added it, might take a day to show up on UConnect? Doesn't sound right, but I'll give it a shot.

You spoke about sales code. Im assuming that refers to the service sales, not the parts? The parts were bought through a different dealer than I had install. Should that make any difference? Thanks again to those who know better how this works than I do.

Absolutely that's what we are here for to help one another. To me personally that doesnt seem correct, I could be wrong ofcourse but when my friend had them doit the setting was on the uconnect. I would say give it the time they say and if not well atleast well know they lied and yes by sales code I mean just upgrading the computer not a part. I would say if its working dont worry about it but you paid for the installation and flashing so make sure they doit correctly. Personally I wont doit unless I'm thinking of selling the truck to have that feature show up as a dealer installed part.

timtlu

Reaction score
Absolutely that's what we are here for to help one another. To me personally that doesnt seem correct, I could be wrong ofcourse but when my friend had them doit the setting was on the uconnect. I would say give it the time they say and if not well atleast well know they lied and yes by sales code I mean just upgrading the computer not a part. I would say if its working dont worry about it but you paid for the installation and flashing so make sure they doit correctly. Personally I wont doit unless I'm thinking of selling the truck to have that feature show up as a dealer installed part.

About an hour later got in the truck to run an errand and everything was as it should be. Either it took a little time or dealer did something remotely after I went and inquired. Either way, everything is good to go, now! Thanks for the feedback, again.

Only cost $189 to install. Based off the $85 - $100 flashing prices I was seeing thrown around, I felt it was a reasonable value to not have to mess with the wiring myself, and get it into warranty coverage.

tuner1129

Reaction score
About an hour later got in the truck to run an errand and everything was as it should be. Either it took a little time or dealer did something remotely after I went and inquired. Either way, everything is good to go, now! Thanks for the feedback, again.

Only cost $189 to install. Based off the $85 - $100 flashing prices I was seeing thrown around, I felt it was a reasonable value to not have to mess with the wiring myself, and get it into warranty coverage.
There we go see I was wrong lol but definitely good news that it works now. Yes, by all means is that was the cost then I would of done it at the dealers but here for them to do the installation it was between $750 - $850 which was no way was going to pay that lol I bought it from the dealership so I have the warranty covered just if anything goes wrong I have to unmount it and take it in off the truck. You got a great deal! And bow everything is working

RichM1983

Reaction score
Tuner,

I was able to get the wiring as you know. I finally got the module. I'm still missing the grey connector. No luck finding it anywhere...I was able to get everything installed and was able to rig up the connector. Once it was all "hooked" up they still don't work. I think the problem is the 12v source from the fuse box. I have some questions on that part of the install for you. When I installed the wire in the connector under the fuse block it didn't connect to anything on the block??? When I probe the wire I get no voltage or a very low, less than 1V, reading. Could you take a pic of your fuse block for me? Just with the lid off, not disassembled. Does any of this sound familiar to you?

tuner1129

Reaction score
Tuner,

I was able to get the wiring as you know. I finally got the module. I'm still missing the grey connector. No luck finding it anywhere...I was able to get everything installed and was able to rig up the connector. Once it was all "hooked" up they still don't work. I think the problem is the 12v source from the fuse box. I have some questions on that part of the install for you. When I installed the wire in the connector under the fuse block it didn't connect to anything on the block??? When I probe the wire I get no voltage or a very low, less than 1V, reading. Could you take a pic of your fuse block for me? Just with the lid off, not disassembled. Does any of this sound familiar to you?
Oh man sorry to hear that man, I could but the wire comes from the buttom of the fuses. So I would have to dismantle everything again. I think it's a trigger wire connected to tell the steps the door is open and close. Shouldn't carry high voltage so that would make sense why it doesnt work. I took the picture to show you.
498e0f984590cf100e64bfa6ffee8a9b.jpg

tuner1129

Reaction score
Tuner,

When you say block, do you mean like a ground?

TwinSac

Reaction score
Where can we buy power running boards? Dealership or online vendor?

Hope that wasn't a dumb question. I'm only a week into ownership.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RichM1983

Reaction score
Well I’m an idiot! I installed the red wire in the wrong connector on the fuse box. Fixed that and boom. They work like a charm! Sometimes it’s hard being dumb lol.

RichM1983

Reaction score
Where can we buy power running boards? Dealership or online vendor?

Hope that wasn't a dumb question. I'm only a week into ownership.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

They are all over the internet. Search around for the part number. I’ve found them as low as around $1300. Local dealer may best that tho. Not sure.

tuner1129

Reaction score
Well I’m an idiot! I installed the red wire in the wrong connector on the fuse box. Fixed that and boom. They work like a charm! Sometimes it’s hard being dumb lol.
Nice! Alright man there you go, and you did it the hard way so now you know more then I do lol glad to see your up and running now. What a difference in getting in and out right

RichM1983

Reaction score
Nice! Alright man there you go, and you did it the hard way so now you know more then I do lol glad to see your up and running now. What a difference in getting in and out right

Thanks!

It’s a huge difference!

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My local dealer matched a $1208 ebay price, I installed it and was very easy and had a friend who works at the dealer flash it for a $25 dollar tip lol . If they want to charge you $200 go talk to a manager and say cmon man this takes 5 minutes and they'll bite. I bet they'll do it for as low as $50 if you talk some sense into them.

Anyhow, after the sales code has been flashed, it does indeed take a little bit for it to show up, even if the radio module has been reset. We disconnected the battery, held the terminals together (drains all capacitors), plugged it back up and they showed up in the Uconnect.

If anyone has any questions about the install, feel free to ask me, it's fresh in my mind.

Saeed

Reaction score
So is there an option to add the power board to uconnect 8.4 ? If so can we see that?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So is there an option to add the power board to uconnect 8.4 ? If so can we see that?

I think there is, when i installed mine i remember seeing it pop up on the 8.4. Let me do a little digging and i will report back. Have you already installed the power boards?

Saeed

Reaction score
Yes I did but the dealer said there is no option to flash the smaller screen. Thank for the help

Users who are viewing this thread