5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions for Ecodiesel owners

Whitenight

Reaction score
Due to putting on 35+k miles a year I'm thinking about swapping the hemi for the ecoD. Not much towing, lots of commute (usually 65 to 75 mph) and then driving on rough muddy jobsites (>10 mph).

1. If I swap to 295/60r20 or 35x11.5x20 tires am I going to hit myself for not getting 3.92 gearing?

2. Folks with the banks Derringer and pedal commander, is it worth the entry price? MPG increase at all?

3. Anybody got the fabtech 3" coilover lift? It says it doesn't fit the diesel, but don't see why it wouldn't. One user said it seemed "loose", wondering what that means.

4. Does the tranny stay in 8th or have to downshift a lot at interstate cruise speed for people with bigger tires and the 3.21 gears?

Thanks for your time and answers

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're going bigger tires I would definitely get the 3.92.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

d3sarius

Reaction score
With my 3.21 and stock tires, I find my mine downshifts to 7th at 75mph more than I expected it would. I live in a very flat state, and the overpass hills are large enough to make it downshift often. With bigger tires, I’d absolutely recommend 3.92’s. I’m very happy with my 3.21 and stock tires, though

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have 3.92 305/70/18 i get avg on winter blend city and hw in nyc 21 summer i get about 23/24 depends on my foot

as for cruise control i feel mpg takes a huge hit with it so kinda learn some fancy foot work when driving and you get better mpg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Due to putting on 35+k miles a year I'm thinking about swapping the hemi for the ecoD. Not much towing, lots of commute (usually 65 to 75 mph) and then driving on rough muddy jobsites (>10 mph).

1. If I swap to 295/60r20 or 35x11.5x20 tires am I going to hit myself for not getting 3.92 gearing?

2. Folks with the banks Derringer and pedal commander, is it worth the entry price? MPG increase at all?

3. Anybody got the fabtech 3" coilover lift? It says it doesn't fit the diesel, but don't see why it wouldn't. One user said it seemed "loose", wondering what that means.

4. Does the tranny stay in 8th or have to downshift a lot at interstate cruise speed for people with bigger tires and the 3.21 gears?

Thanks for your time and answers
For question #2:
Banks derringer is a great option- it safely adds power under the right conditions and keeps all the factory safeties in place. The downside is there is no increase in mpg, which is part of what you asked. Banks themselves say that there’s no increase in mpg. Aside from that, the derringer monster package is well worth the price for the data logging that saves to sd card.

Whitenight

Reaction score
For question #2:
Banks derringer is a great option- it safely adds power under the right conditions and keeps all the factory safeties in place. The downside is there is no increase in mpg, which is part of what you asked. Banks themselves say that there’s no increase in mpg. Aside from that, the derringer monster package is well worth the price for the data logging that saves to sd card.
Do you have the Derringer and idash? What's the difficulty level on installing one?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have the Derringer and idash? What's the difficulty level on installing one?
I don’t have one, I just have researched it to death so I’ve talked to several people that have them and drove one with it. I canceled my order of the Derringer and I am getting the GDE tune in a couple months when it comes out.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
With my 3.21 and stock tires, I find my mine downshifts to 7th at 75mph more than I expected it would. I live in a very flat state, and the overpass hills are large enough to make it downshift often. With bigger tires, I’d absolutely recommend 3.92’s. I’m very happy with my 3.21 and stock tires, though
Same thing with the 3.92 (when I had it). It would drop to 7th just as you stated. This was with cruise engaged.

Whitenight

Reaction score
I don’t have one, I just have researched it to death so I’ve talked to several people that have them and drove one with it. I canceled my order of the Derringer and I am getting the GDE tune in a couple months when it comes out.
I thought the GDE one is out, or is a tune different from the flas
Same thing with the 3.92 (when I had it). It would drop to 7th just as you stated. This was with cruise engaged.
My hemi (3.92) will stay in 8th set at 77 in cruise unless it's a steep overpass ramp or there is a wicked head wind. Granted, it sits at 2100 ram or so at that speed. I get about 17 mpg average for the year doing those 35k miles, main reason that I'm looking to switch. Maintenance cost increase doesn't bug me much as I'll be doing the oil and fuel filter changes.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
I thought the GDE one is out, or is a tune different from the flas

My hemi (3.92) will stay in 8th set at 77 in cruise unless it's a steep overpass ramp or there is a wicked head wind. Granted, it sits at 2100 ram or so at that speed. I get about 17 mpg average for the year doing those 35k miles, main reason that I'm looking to switch. Maintenance cost increase doesn't bug me much as I'll be doing the oil and fuel filter changes.
Meant to add that in the scenario with cruise set, I have it on 72 and returning about 25-26 mpg. It's not bothersome but it is noticeable.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
If you’re upsizing tires, definitely get the 3.92’s. I’ve got a rebel with 33’s and it is perfectly suited for 3.92’s. At 120kph/70mph it doesn’t down shift much from 8th. It even tows my 33’ 7600lb trailer in eighth at that speed and only downshifts to 6th for big hills and occasional shifts to 7th for wind.

Banks is more for those looking for more power. Won’t add fuel mileage, may take out some pedal delay, but not worth the entry price.

If you’re doing lots of miles carry an extra 2.5 gallon jug of def as it uses a tank of def about every 1000miles. If you get too low it starts the countdown and will go into limp mode when it hits zero and not restart if shut off unless filled.

My rebel gets about 27-28 in the summer on the highway and right now in -20 with winter fuel is getting 18.5mpg doing full city driving. In the summer of it sees only city it’ll get 21-22. Gets 13-16 mpg towing the trailer mentioned above. Well worth the upgrade from the Hemi, especially considering the best mileage I ever got in mine was 16mpg and was as low as 6mpg towing.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re upsizing tires, definitely get the 3.92’s. I’ve got a rebel with 33’s and it is perfectly suited for 3.92’s. At 120kph/70mph it doesn’t down shift much from 8th. It even tows my 33’ 7600lb trailer in eighth at that speed and only downshifts to 6th for big hills and occasional shifts to 7th for wind.

Banks is more for those looking for more power. Won’t add fuel mileage, may take out some pedal delay, but not worth the entry price.

If you’re doing lots of miles carry an extra 2.5 gallon jug of def as it uses a tank of def about every 1000miles. If you get too low it starts the countdown and will go into limp mode when it hits zero and not restart if shut off unless filled.

My rebel gets about 27-28 in the summer on the highway and right now in -20 with winter fuel is getting 18.5mpg doing full city driving. In the summer of it sees only city it’ll get 21-22. Gets 13-16 mpg towing the trailer mentioned above. Well worth the upgrade from the Hemi, especially considering the best mileage I ever got in mine was 16mpg and was as low as 6mpg towing.
You go through 5 gallons of def every thousand miles? You sure you don’t have an issue?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For question #2:
I don't know if I'd call the banks safe. I'm pretty sure it just cranks fuel pressure/boost.

The GDE is by far the most "complete" tune and in fact keeps all factory safeties in place. It took a long time to develop and they did a lot of testing.

I plan on tuning my ED when the warranty is up and the only one I'd consider would be GDE.

Whitenight

Reaction score

Yeah, if I get new tires they will be 33.5 or 34 inch ones. I suppose that warrants the 3.92. Wish the 3.55 was still an option. Probably end up with the bds 2" coilover lift when I do the tires. Don't need monster wheels, but extra ground clearance is a must on my jobsites. I can usually bum def off the contractors if I need it lol

Whitenight

Reaction score
You have to drive to Detroit or have a useless truck for a bit to do that don't you?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can say that on 295/60R20 tires with 3.92 gears in stock condition my truck would stay in 8th gear almost all of the time on the interstate, even when towing. It would only downshift for steep hills. I was very impressed.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd call the banks safe. I'm pretty sure it just cranks fuel pressure/boost.

The GDE is by far the most "complete" tune and in fact keeps all factory safeties in place. It took a long time to develop and they did a lot of testing.

I plan on tuning my ED when the warranty is up and the only one I'd consider would be GDE.

I understand what you’re saying, but I’m gonna have to trust Banks on how they describe their system design for the Derringer. Banks has a good reputation for a reason.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying, but I’m gonna have to trust Banks on how they describe their system design for the Derringer. Banks has a good reputation for a reason.
So does GDE. The deringer really isn't even a tune, the fact you need it and then the pedal monster to get rid of the lag tells me that.

Users who are viewing this thread