5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions for Ecodiesel owners

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So does GDE. The deringer really isn't even a tune, the fact you need it and then the pedal monster to get rid of the lag tells me that.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Yes, they don’t claim it is. It is considered an in-line, or “piggyback,” tuner. It’s in the same category as products like a pedal commander.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Due to putting on 35+k miles a year I'm thinking about swapping the hemi for the ecoD. Not much towing, lots of commute (usually 65 to 75 mph) and then driving on rough muddy jobsites (>10 mph).

1. If I swap to 295/60r20 or 35x11.5x20 tires am I going to hit myself for not getting 3.92 gearing?

Probably. I put my experiences in the Tire/Wheel subforum, but I took a huge hit putting LT tires on my 3.21 ecodiesel. If I'd had 3.92, the truck might've handled the weight a bit better. Black Rhino Duggers, 20", weigh 31 pounds and the 275/65r20 Wildpeak AT3Ws I tried weigh 66.1 pounds.

Having 97.1 pounds of wheel/tire at each corner definitely affected the mileage and shifting. ;)

I went from upper 20's (~28+ combined) to 23 at best.

But, damn, it looked good. :)

2. Folks with the banks Derringer and pedal commander, is it worth the entry price? MPG increase at all?

3. Anybody got the fabtech 3" coilover lift? It says it doesn't fit the diesel, but don't see why it wouldn't. One user said it seemed "loose", wondering what that means.

4. Does the tranny stay in 8th or have to downshift a lot at interstate cruise speed for people with bigger tires and the 3.21 gears?

See my above. The truck will not go much lower than 1000 rpm before downshifting. With the 34" tires I tried, there was a lot of 7th gear highway time, with downhills getting 8th. This is all above 70-75 mph.

Thanks for your time and answers

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably. I put my experiences in the Tire/Wheel subforum, but I took a huge hit putting LT tires on my 3.21 ecodiesel. If I'd had 3.92, the truck might've handled the weight a bit better. Black Rhino Duggers, 20", weigh 31 pounds and the 275/65r20 Wildpeak AT3Ws I tried weigh 66.1 pounds.

Having 97.1 pounds of wheel/tire at each corner definitely affected the mileage and shifting. ;)

See my above. The truck will not go much lower than 1000 rpm before downshifting. With the 34" tires I tried, there was a lot of 7th gear highway time, with downhills getting 8th. This is all above 70-75 mph.
I hope I don’t have that issue when I put on my wheels and tires in the spring. I’m at 83lbs each. I really don’t want to take a huge loss on the tires or wheel/tire combo by going to something else though.

Whitenight

Reaction score

Yikes, that's a huge hit to mpg. According to one of those transmission calculators, in 8th it should be doing 1950 rpm at 75 with 34" tires and 3.92 gears. That's about 200 less than the hemi at that speed with 3 92 and stock tires.

Been trying to find the lightest combo I can, firestone destination xt in 295 60r20 are only 55lbs, same size toyos at3 are 59. Fuel shok are 34lbs. Gonna be heavier no matter what.

IDK, the gearing is the toughest decision. Might just get 3.21 and just keep stock tires since I pile the miles on so fast. AAHHHHHH lol

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yikes, that's a huge hit to mpg. According to one of those transmission calculators, in 8th it should be doing 1950 rpm at 75 with 34" tires and 3.92 gears. That's about 200 less than the hemi at that speed with 3 92 and stock tires.

Been trying to find the lightest combo I can, firestone destination xt in 295 60r20 are only 55lbs, same size toyos at3 are 59. Fuel shok are 34lbs. Gonna be heavier no matter what.

IDK, the gearing is the toughest decision. Might just get 3.21 and just keep stock tires since I pile the miles on so fast. AAHHHHHH lol
That’s the same problem I’m having right now, but I made the mistake of already buying wheels and tires for a ‘21 ram 1500 that had 3.92’s. Now I have a ‘22 with 3.21’s (which I wanted), but my wheel setup may cause an issue. I did find some lightweight alternatives for the tires, and there’s a lot more available for your rim size if you’re willing to play around with sizes.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Banks Derringer makes me nervous, because basically all they're doing is tricking the PCM into throwing more fuel and more boost at the engine. Mind you, this is with a Bosch CP4 injection system that has a horrendous reputation for blowing up even on stock trucks. Ram even recently issued a recall of a quarter-million HD pickups because of this. The only reason you don't hear about the Ram 1500 blowing injection pumps quite as often as the 2500-3500 is because of the lower fuel quantity demand from the PCM. Well, as soon as you throw a Derringer on there that goes out the window.

The major plus to the Derringer is that it can be 100% removed if you have an hour to do it. This means if you do blow your engine or fuel system you may be able to remove it and salvage warranty coverage. It also means when you sell the truck you won't lose a thousand bucks like I did with the GDE tune.

So there are pros and cons to everything.

Whitenight

Reaction score
The Banks Derringer makes me nervous, because basically all they're doing is tricking the PCM into throwing more fuel and more boost at the engine. Mind you, this is with a Bosch CP4 injection system that has a horrendous reputation for blowing up even on stock trucks. Ram even recently issued a recall of a quarter-million HD pickups because of this. The only reason you don't hear about the Ram 1500 blowing injection pumps quite as often as the 2500-3500 is because of the lower fuel quantity demand from the PCM. Well, as soon as you throw a Derringer on there that goes out the window.

The major plus to the Derringer is that it can be 100% removed if you have an hour to do it. This means if you do blow your engine or fuel system you may be able to remove it and salvage warranty coverage. It also means when you sell the truck you won't lose a thousand bucks like I did with the GDE tune.

So there are pros and cons to everything.
Good info, thank you

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
You go through 5 gallons of def every thousand miles? You sure you don’t have an issue?

Should have qualified that statement. That’s 100% towing heavy. It’ll do 3500-5000miles on a tank of def without towing.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Should have qualified that statement. That’s 100% towing heavy. It’ll do 3500-5000miles on a tank of def without towing.
Oh, gotcha. I’m new to ecodiesels, so your original statement concerned me a little.

gorilla57

Reaction score
Oh, gotcha. I’m new to ecodiesels, so your original statement concerned me a little.
And just so you know, DEF consumption should be roughly 2-3% of your diesel fuel consumption. So, if you think that you are burning through a bunch of DEF, calculate it out in case you need to take the truck in for possible problems.

But.....not sure what the DEF consumption should be for one of the tunes. The 2-3% is for stock tuning.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And just so you know, DEF consumption should be roughly 2-3% of your diesel fuel consumption. So, if you think that you are burning through a bunch of DEF, calculate it out in case you need to take the truck in for possible problems.

But.....not sure what the DEF consumption should be for one of the tunes. The 2-3% is for stock tuning.
Thanks for the info! GDE told me to drive it for a year or two before tuning (and they don’t have a tune yet for the ‘22) so I’m still on the stock tune. I’ll have to start calculating when I fill the def tank soon. I didn’t have a full tank when I got it and didn’t care to push the dealer to fill it.

Whitenight

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information fellas. Going to order a 3.92 geared, billet silver ecodiesel tomorrow. I think it will be worth the slightly less mpg of those gears when I switch to the bigger/heavier tires and level/coilover lift.

Don't think I'll do the Derringer, if I do any of that probably the GDE tune or wait till it's out of warranty and visit Canada.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Great choice!
85e79a6a9ec1daf1ca14153b56cbe416.jpg

bec2878db2d84dc956862b9d6d12d7d2.jpg

ManBOOYA

Reaction score
With my 3.21 and stock tires, I find my mine downshifts to 7th at 75mph more than I expected it would. I live in a very flat state, and the overpass hills are large enough to make it downshift often. With bigger tires, I’d absolutely recommend 3.92’s. I’m very happy with my 3.21 and stock tires, though
7th gear with the 3.21 is almost the exact same as 8th with the 3.92. So you may get a bit of fuel savings if it stays in 8th at all

Dirtdoc

Reaction score

I have a 21 limited ED with 3.92's. Put on 275/60/20's, 33" tires and at 70 turning 1900 rpm. Seems to be a good rpm as very rarely downshifts to 7th on hills, basically only if stiff wind and fairly steep ascent.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 21 limited ED with 3.92's. Put on 275/60/20's, 33" tires and at 70 turning 1900 rpm. Seems to be a good rpm as very rarely downshifts to 7th on hills, basically only if stiff wind and fairly steep ascent.
That makes me think I’m going to have a problem with mine go back on.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Good looking rig! Do you have a level or is that stock rebel height?

Dealer quoted me 5 to 6 months, would have been quicker if I wanted a hemi.

Stock height, just the 900 lb tongue weight and pointing up a small hill, no level.

Got that rig right before pricing went wild in 2021, and had to wait 3 months less a day from order to arrival. Dealer offered me $5,000 more than I paid to not take it home and 4 months later they were offered me $10k and then $12k more than my original purchase prices a few weeks later. The exact same truck is now going for $20k more than I paid. The market is nuts.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked at Trading my 20 Reb ED in on a 22. Exact same truck is 12k more than I paid. It’s FN nuts. So big thumbs down from the Canadian judge.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s the new reality, and it’s not going away any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online