5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for audio Gurus... adding 7th (front middle) speaker to 6 speaker systems

Clyde

Reaction score
I’m swapped out my front side dash speakers for Infinity references. My stock speakers were 8 ohm, the references are 4 ohms. I want to add the center dash speaker to my base 6 speaker system.

My thought on how to accomplish this (and get a more balanced system with all channels having the correct resistance) is to run the added middle speaker off one of the side dash speakers in series- making the two speakers a total of 8 ohms on that channel. I would then add a 4 ohm resistor to the other front side speaker also making that channel 8 ohms.

Now my questions for you audio Gurus... any thoughts in general about this set up? Will I achieve a true balance (or close enough), or do I risk one side being noticeably louder than the other or the rest of the system. What resistors should I use, (4 ohm - what wattage, quality brand, etc).

I currently have to fade the balance towards the rears as the ohm difference of the infinity speakers vs stock make them louder. I thought up this idea while contemplating adding resistors to the two front infinity’s to balance it out.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm far from an audio guru, but why not add two 4 ohm tweeters to the center? Which on the stock 6 speaker is not really a grille, just looks like one. There aren't any holes in the honeycomb. I'm going through this myself, first try is going to be 4 ohm resistors on each 3.5

Clyde

Reaction score
On my truck (2019), it is a grill/honeycomb beneath it is the mount for a 3.5” speaker.

Nibis

Reaction score
Why don't you replace your door speakers with the Infinity reference 2 ways

Clyde

Reaction score
Adding a speaker while balancing all channels seems like the better & least expensive option for what I’m trying to achieve (that’s given my idea would even work).

I’m sure replacing the door speakers would be an improvement over stock (and balance if I went with 4 ohm all the way around), but at this point I’m pretty happy with the sound quality of the stock door speakers and have a few other add-ons/modifications I’d like to do before putting money into door speakers.

Nibis

Reaction score
Adding a speaker while balancing all channels seems like the better & least expensive option for what I’m trying to achieve (that’s given my idea would even work).

I’m sure replacing the door speakers would be an improvement over stock (and balance if I went with 4 ohm all the way around), but at this point I’m pretty happy with the sound quality of the stock door speakers and have a few other add-ons/modifications I’d like to do before putting money into door speakers.
The middle speaker is for surround sound, I don't think you will get any real benefit, changing door speakers to the same 4 ohm will balance the system, and play louder

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Get a dsr1 and maestro connectors. You can tune up to 8 speakers and tune them individually.
I have a Laramie. I hooked up all 9 speakers. Included a center like from factory. Also 2 subs and 3 amps lol. So all speakers have own channel. Sounds amazing and I can adjust on my phone if needed

Gozar

Reaction score
I swapped out all my speakers to Kenwood Excelon, they make a kit specific for the 5th Gen RAM with 6x9 mid woofers for the front doors and 3.5 2-way for the dash. Added Execlon 6x9 2-way in the rear doors, a Kicker Key amp (with auto setup mic) then added a JBL powered 8" sub under the rear seat. Sounds fantastic.

Reaction score
Get a dsr1 and maestro connectors. You can tune up to 8 speakers and tune them individually.
I have a Laramie. I hooked up all 9 speakers. Included a center like from factory. Also 2 subs and 3 amps lol. So all speakers have own channel. Sounds amazing and I can adjust on my phone if needed

Did you use the AR-CH4 harness? Did you use the ANC bypass or is that completely hooked up like normal?

Damion

Reaction score
Adding a speaker in the centre of your dash won't get you much, the centre speaker is for the amplified systems ( alpine, HK ) and is only used in " Surround Sound " mode. Having the alpine system, I leave the surround mode off, I find it makes the audio sound weird,

Doing what you want to do would in theory "work " but would present 2 issues,

1) tapping off either speaker and running it to the centre channel will give you sound there, but it would throw the balance off in the system and listening dynamics. Basically you'd have one side sounding louder than the other ( more cone area = louder )

2) using a resistor to bring the impedance down will work but you'd need a fairly large resistor ( 5-10w) to keep the temps down if you play your music loud for long periods, a small resistor will burn up from heat.

Its also possible that you may run into and echo from having 2 speakers on the same channel separated.

At the end of the day its your truck, do what you will, but I really can't see any gain in doing this unless you upgrade to a 5-6 channel signal processor and have the centre be its own output.

805myth1

Reaction score
Yea I used the ch4 since I have factory amp. Also the dsr1 already cancels the anc. No need for a bypass.

So to install the dsr1, you have to run all the speakers on an amp? Since the dsr1 replaces the factory amp all together?

Ramtrx

Reaction score
So to install the dsr1, you have to run all the speakers on an amp? Since the dsr1 replaces the factory amp all together?
the purpose of the dsr1 is to take the factory signal and allow it to separate to 8 possible speakers to connect to amps while allowing factory sounds like back up alarm and things like that.

805myth1

Reaction score
the purpose of the dsr1 is to take the factory signal and allow it to separate to 8 possible speakers to connect to amps while allowing factory sounds like back up alarm and things like that.

A few more questions, did you use the speaker wire leads from the ch4 t harness to connect to the amps? And if so are they all independent from each other? Or are some combined?

20200703_120853.jpg

Ramtrx

Reaction score
A few more questions, did you use the speaker wire leads from the ch4 t harness to connect to the amps? And if so are they all independent from each other? Or are some combined?

View attachment 60766
I used the rcas to the amps. You can use the factory speaker wires or run your own to each speaker. Also the dsr1 is programmable to allow a different signal to each channel. So when setting it up you can adjust the signal going to the amp. There is actually a lot that can be done. I learned from reading online and watch videos to see how to program it correctly.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
I didn’t want to splice anything. I ran the rcas under the carpet to my amps. Using the diagram to plug into my amp according to how I had my speakers set up and how I wanted them to sound and each channel accordingly. So when I was adjusting anything in the dsr1 it would correspond to that speaker I wanted. I also ran new 16g Wire to each speaker.

805myth1

Reaction score
I didn’t want to splice anything. I ran the rcas under the carpet to my amps. Using the diagram to plug into my amp according to how I had my speakers set up and how I wanted them to sound and each channel accordingly. So when I was adjusting anything in the dsr1 it would correspond to that speaker I wanted. I also ran new 16g Wire to each speaker.

Yeah I don't want to splice into any of the factory wires either but I want to save some time and labor of running all new wiring to each speaker. So the ch4 harness is effective enough to connect the speakers to the aftermarket amps?

Users who are viewing this thread