5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About Tow/Haul Mode

Kenny4

Reaction score
I haven't used tow/haul mode other than playing around to here the exhaust better. Live in So Cal and have to go to Big Bear lake with a flat bed trailer and 2 dirt bikes on board, about 2000-2500lbs. It's a steep climb and very winding, some corners almost to a stop the curves are so tight. If you leave the trans in normal function I'm sure the trans will do a lot of shifting up and down. If you use the tow haul, it seems the rpms will be revving pretty high, plus sucking up a bunch of fuel. What about the shift control on the steering wheel, can you set it at a lower gear and leave it there? ( I haven't used that for anything yet either ). Thanks

GATORB8

Reaction score
On the downhills the revs are engine braking, doesn’t use much if any fuel and saves your brakes. Nice to have the auto engine braking engage in tow haul.

In tow/haul I can run the blue ridge/Smokeys interstates in cruise control and it can hold the speed without braking with the boat hooked.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Use it.

I go up Highway 2 fairly often from La Cañada to Chilao or beyond with an empty truck and use Tow/haul. If you're really putting your foot into it and it's loaded, you'll be kicked down into a lower gear anyway. But when you ease off, it won't be so quick to upshift, causing another downshift in no time. And when you're on a downhill, it will do a better job of compression braking. As in, whatever speed you're going when you let off the gas, it will hold you at that speed and downshift for you if needed, and it won't upshift until you accelerate again. Or flick tow/haul off.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Definitely use it, in fact in your RAM manual it states to use it even when not towing on canyon type roads to assist in engine braking and keeping tranny temps low.

If RAM recommends to use it when not towing in those situations, you should definitely use it when towing in those situations.

Conundrum

Reaction score
At what point (how much weight in the bed) is it recommended to turn tow/haul on?

The only time I ever used it, I hauled a snow blower and a bed full of misc. items, but where I drive is Western MD into North Central WV. So there are some "mountains" but nothing like out West. Using it was probably overkill.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tow/haul can be used for more than towing or hauling. It is to be used when in steep terrain, or anytime you feel the truck deserves more gear.

Basically...tow/haul is the way the truck would be programed before MPG ratings became a fuss. And being out of tow/haul is how trucks are now programed to stay in the higher gears and lower RPM.

Remember. The Hemi develops its horsepower at 5600 And torque at 3950...so around 4000 RPM is where it likes to growl when working...tow/haul helps that.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Tow/haul can be used for more than towing or hauling. It is to be used when in steep terrain, or anytime you feel the truck deserves more gear.

Basically...tow/haul is the way the truck would be programed before MPG ratings became a fuss. And being out of tow/haul is how trucks are now programed to stay in the higher gears and lower RPM.

Remember. The Hemi develops its horsepower at 5600 And torque at 3950...so around 4000 RPM is where it likes to growl when working...tow/haul helps that.

Yup, the manual actual states that you should use it in the canyons and hilly terrain to prevent the transmission from overheating, even when not towing.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a certain point and/or weight limit tow/haul should be activated.

I would say any towing at all, you should activate it, it will still go to 8th gear when cruising, it just holds the gears longer getting there. The big reason for it, is that it will downshift to a lower gear when braking, and downshift more aggressively the harder and longer you brake. It also won't shift up again until you press the gas pedal, even when coasting.

Anytime you need a little bit pep in the reaction of the transmission or need some more engine braking, even when not towing, you should also use it. I rather enjoy how it works driving up and down canyon roads at my local mountains. This will lower your mpg, but it will decrease the strain on your drivetrain, save your brakes while being a little more fun.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish I had seen this thread 24 hours ago lol. I just drove through the Virginia mountains on I-77, I didn’t use tow/haul as I was empty and didn’t realize that it was in the manual to do so. The truck did downshift even without it engaged but there were a few parts of 5% grade where I had to either hit brakes or manually downshift a few more gears. Tranny temps weren’t an issue it was in the 40’s but still good info!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a certain point and/or weight limit tow/haul should be activated.
There is no set weight. I use tow/haul mkre ofen then not. It is the way a truck is supposed to feel.

Anything beyond a driver is considered hauling.

It becomes personal preference. If on the interstate you would want to turn it off so you can coast down hills/cruise control is less aggressive.

Anywhere else...tow/haul is a good idea.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I wish I had seen this thread 24 hours ago lol. I just drove through the Virginia mountains on I-77, I didn’t use tow/haul as I was empty and didn’t realize that it was in the manual to do so. The truck did downshift even without it engaged but there were a few parts of 5% grade where I had to either hit brakes or manually downshift a few more gears. Tranny temps weren’t an issue it was in the 40’s but still good info!
Last weekend I towed a 7k# car hauler both ways that same stretch of 64 / 77 from Charleston to Greensboro. Never used tow haul (didn’t use it the entire 900 mile trip). Set the cruise and let it take control both up and down. It’ll downshift using cruise and no tow haul. And Yes, you do need to use the brakes periodically on a 5% grade downhill especially when it says 55 mph and it’s tighter turning.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I haven't used tow/haul mode other than playing around to here the exhaust better. Live in So Cal and have to go to Big Bear lake with a flat bed trailer and 2 dirt bikes on board, about 2000-2500lbs. It's a steep climb and very winding, some corners almost to a stop the curves are so tight. If you leave the trans in normal function I'm sure the trans will do a lot of shifting up and down. If you use the tow haul, it seems the rpms will be revving pretty high, plus sucking up a bunch of fuel. What about the shift control on the steering wheel, can you set it at a lower gear and leave it there? ( I haven't used that for anything yet either ). Thanks
I live in MT and tow a 6700 travel trailer in the summer. Tow Haul is a must both with the trailer and without on mountains. As others have noted, it's going to stay in lower gears longer going up and will shift at different points to use engine breaking going down irrespective of whether you have a trailer on or not. We definitely use in the mountains going down with or without the trailer. I DO use the gearing also as you can be at certain points going down where the truck is still picking up too much speed and you find just the right gear that will get you a steady state at the right speed for a few miles. Hit the plus hold for a second or so and it's back to D.

My goal in the mountains is to use the brakes as little as possible and use the engine/transmission going down. I consider having to hit the brake pedal as a "fail." I follow people who ride their brakes with and without trailers and it makes me cringe seeing some guy (usually from a flat state/or rental) with his brakes constantly on going down a big mountain with a big trailer on the back. I have actually stopped at most any turn off a couple of times as I could see his brakes starting to fade by how the rig was responding. I stopped because I frankly did not want to be behind a person who had lost control and might die because of ignorance and stupidity... Having towed for 16 years, I've made gentle mentions to a few (three I can remember) at gas stations (I followed them in on purpose) asking open ended questions about how they use tow haul and maybe noting how I don't like to use my brakes. Tow/Haul is not a toy, it is an invaluable tool if you live or travel in the mountains.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in MT and tow a 6700 travel trailer in the summer. Tow Haul is a must both with the trailer and without on mountains. As others have noted, it's going to stay in lower gears longer going up and will shift at different points to use engine breaking going down irrespective of whether you have a trailer on or not. We definitely use in the mountains going down with or without the trailer. I DO use the gearing also as you can be at certain points going down where the truck is still picking up too much speed and you find just the right gear that will get you a steady state at the right speed for a few miles. Hit the plus hold for a second or so and it's back to D.

My goal in the mountains is to use the brakes as little as possible and use the engine/transmission going down. I consider having to hit the brake pedal as a "fail." I follow people who ride their brakes with and without trailers and it makes me cringe seeing some guy (usually from a flat state/or rental) with his brakes constantly on going down a big mountain with a big trailer on the back. I have actually stopped at most any turn off a couple of times as I could see his brakes starting to fade by how the rig was responding. I stopped because I frankly did not want to be behind a person who had lost control and might die because of ignorance and stupidity... Having towed for 16 years, I've made gentle mentions to a few (three I can remember) at gas stations (I followed them in on purpose) asking open ended questions about how they use tow haul and maybe noting how I don't like to use my brakes. Tow/Haul is not a toy, it is an invaluable tool if you live or travel in the mountains.

My exact approach (albeit without a 3 1/2 ton trailer: props to you). On steep grades, I'll use the engine to control the speed rather than heating up the brakes, as much as possible. Of course, brakes are easy and relatively cheap to change, transmissions and engines are not, so there's a balance in there somewhere.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last weekend I towed a 7k# car hauler both ways that same stretch of 64 / 77 from Charleston to Greensboro. Never used tow haul (didn’t use it the entire 900 mile trip). Set the cruise and let it take control both up and down. It’ll downshift using cruise and no tow haul. And Yes, you do need to use the brakes periodically on a 5% grade downhill especially when it says 55 mph and it’s tighter turning.
Most makers also increase trans hydraulic line pressure to hold the clutches from slipping, and shorten the shift time to keep slipping to a minimum. All slipping between and in gears create wear and heat.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's part of my ritual once I get in the truck to turn on tow/haul so much so I forget sometimes I even did it and have to look down at the dash to make sure I turned it on, once I get the Tazer, I'll have to retrain my brain because it has a feature where the truck will remember the last way it was since the last crank and run. I much rather the dynamics of and manners of the truck with tow/haul enabled, especially with oversized tires on 22's. Where I live and drive is pretty much flat terrain, I just prefer the trans tuning/shifting and engine braking to help save my brakes...it also disables MDS when in tow/haul, which I want as well, I hate the MDS function. I do tow my boat a good bit, and hardly know it's back there.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I agree ^^ only time I’m not in tow haul is when I’ll be on the highway for a bit.

I much prefer the way the transmission shifts up and down with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I may try doing that as well, there is no real negative to driving in tow/haul mode other than mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread