5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Speaker Upgrade

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the none alpine version. Question are the front/rear speakers components or tweeter/mid/base?
Can you replace the front/back with a three way if the factory wasn't a three way and will it cause issues?

Last edited:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I have the none alpine version. Question are the front/rear speakers components or tweeter/mid/base?
Can you replace the front/back with a three way if the factory wasn't a three way and will it cause issues?

You can change the speakers no problem... change the dash speakers too to some nice infinity 3.5s and believe me, you gonna be impressed.
Start with the dash speakers because they are the easiest to swap and then if you like the way the system sounds, continue with the door spkrs. Some people don't like the sound of the AM speakers so that's a good way for you to know if you like the extra loud and crisp highs...

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
On the base 6 speaker system you get a full range signal on all of the speakers. So you can use two or three way speakers for every location.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can change the speakers no problem... change the dash speakers too to some nice infinity 3.5s and believe me, you gonna be impressed.
Start with the dash speakers because they are the easiest to swap and then if you like the way the system sounds, continue with the door spkrs. Some people don't like the sound of the AM speakers so that's a good way for you to know if you like the extra loud and crisp highs...

got it i will start with the dash then and go from there

spark

Reaction score
got it i will start with the dash then and go from there

I replaced all 6 speakers with Infinitys. I did the dash first and while the sound was great, it was very overpowering at first due to the speaker's lower resistance and higher sensitivity. Fading the audio back to the rear a notch or two helps.

For both sets of 6x9's I went with the 2 way speakers. There is a button on the tweeter portion of each 6x9 that gives a 3db boost to the tweeter. I turned this off on all 4 speakers. In hind sight I could have left it on for the rear 6x9's. The front gets enough highs from the dash for my taste, so I wanted more bass from the 6x9.

Last thing I did was add the resistor from Infinity to the dash 3.5's. In the stock 6 speaker setup all speakers receive a full range signal as previously mentioned. Whenever I cranked the volume it seemed like the 3.5's were really struggling trying to hit the bass notes and I thought they may blow.

All in all, its a night and day difference from the stock set up for not a lot of work. The 6x9's wont give you any"bump" but do have a good bass.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced all 6 speakers with Infinitys. I did the dash first and while the sound was great, it was very overpowering at first due to the speaker's lower resistance and higher sensitivity. Fading the audio back to the rear a notch or two helps.

For both sets of 6x9's I went with the 2 way speakers. There is a button on the tweeter portion of each 6x9 that gives a 3db boost to the tweeter. I turned this off on all 4 speakers. In hind sight I could have left it on for the rear 6x9's. The front gets enough highs from the dash for my taste, so I wanted more bass from the 6x9.

Last thing I did was add the resistor from Infinity to the dash 3.5's. In the stock 6 speaker setup all speakers receive a full range signal as previously mentioned. Whenever I cranked the volume it seemed like the 3.5's were really struggling trying to hit the bass notes and I thought they may blow.

All in all, its a night and day difference from the stock set up for not a lot of work. The 6x9's wont give you any"bump" but do have a good bass.
If you want to turn the boost on in the back, you can try poking it through the speaker grille.

Adding the Bass-Kill resistor was a good advice. @busa2009, you should do that too.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want to turn the boost on in the back, you can try poking it through the speaker grille.

Adding the Bass-Kill resistor was a good advice. @busa2009, you should do that too.

Does this need a resistor? It looks like one is already there
7a7f8f916797af8f3220089844c27b86.jpg

fe94244290bdea72e93be96d8357764d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Does this need a resistor? It looks like one is already there
7a7f8f916797af8f3220089844c27b86.jpg

fe94244290bdea72e93be96d8357764d.jpg

I don't think that's it. I can't see how it's connected but the bass blocker has to be plugged in line with the positive terminal.

P Palmer

Reaction score
I don't think that's it. I can't see how it's connected but the bass blocker has to be plugged in line with the positive terminal.
I believe that is the crossover capacitor for the tweeter in your coaxial speaker. You’ll need to use another capacitor to cut off the bass frequencies for the mid range driver.

2020RamSport

Reaction score
That is a capacitor being used as a high-pass filter for the tweeter.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that is the crossover capacitor for the tweeter in your coaxial speaker. You’ll need to use another capacitor to cut off the bass frequencies for the mid range driver.
That's what i thought. It's not my post btw...

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok I got it. So I need to put a resistor on the positive side. Is there a certain resistor I need or go on crutchfield and see if they offer it

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
WAIT!!! You have the HK system???
When you said non-alpine, i thought you mean you have the base system...

Last edited:

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WAIT!!! You have the HK system???
When you said non-alpine, i thought you mean you have the base system...

Hmm have to look at my sheet but these are the speakers that came out and this is what’s under my seat
dfcc944e6fb4dac921231501f51bf64c.jpg

7a33727661a6bc3a3e2bc20a4a31b1f9.jpg

3b48958539efc1113169553416f503cc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread