5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quality issues with Ram windows operation and glass quality?

HowdyHo

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello. I have had 2 issues with my new truck and have not had them properly taken care of. This morning, I had a third problem arise.

1. The windshield glass has lots of little bubbles inside it. The only time you can see it is early in the early morning when driving into the sunrise. It is very annoying, I see it every day on the way to work.

2. The right rear door window really gets stuck into the groove, so when you first put it down after sitting for a while (like in the morning), it can stick for a second, and it makes a loud snapping-like sound as the glass is released from the upper groove. The window is now loose in its tracks.

3. And today, my sliding rear window started barely moving when pressing open/close.

The LAST thing I want to do is spend my free time going to a dealer about this, again. I have to take a day off or go in on a weekend.

I emailed Chrysler about the first two, and been to a dealer. Chrysler said the issue/complaint number is closed. This last visit, the guy working there was cool. Because it was not sun-up, you could not see the bubbles. And that morning I put all the windows down when I left home (dumb mistake on my part), so the window did not stick when I got there.. When you first open it, that is when it happens. Then it works fine for a while. Then when it sits for a while, it sticks again.

Any tips?

Thank you.

FYI, the truck is less than a year old and it has less than 10k miles on it.

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello. I have had 2 issues with my new truck and have not had them properly taken care of. This morning, I had a third problem arise.

1. The windshield glass has lots of little bubbles inside it. The only time you can see it is early in the early morning when driving into the sunrise. It is very annoying, I see it every day on the way to work.

2. The right rear door window really gets stuck into the groove, so when you first put it down after sitting for a while (like in the morning), it can stick for a second, and it makes a loud snapping-like sound as the glass is released from the upper groove. The window is now loose in its tracks.

3. And today, my sliding rear window started barely moving when pressing open/close.

The LAST thing I want to do is spend my free time going to a dealer about this, again. I have to take a day off or go in on a weekend.

I emailed Chrysler about the first two, and been to a dealer. Chrysler said the issue/complaint number is closed. This last visit, the guy working there was cool. Because it was not sun-up, you could not see the bubbles. And that morning I put all the windows down when I left home (dumb mistake on my part), so the window did not stick when I got there.. When you first open it, that is when it happens. Then it works fine for a while. Then when it sits for a while, it sticks again.

Any tips?

Thank you.

Back in the day, I worked construction, and worked many times in the old Detroit Chrysler glass plant. They used to inspect every piece of glass in front of lights, to look for flaws. That plant was closed and torn down. They probably moved it to Mexico, like everything else, and quality suffers. As far as the rear slider, dirt gets in the track, and slows the window. Clean the track out, and apply some silicone spray to the fuzzy strip.

RamCares

Reaction score

Any tips?

Thank you.

Hey there,

We would love to look into this for you. If you'd like some assistance, please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

HowdyHo

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will send a DM now. Thank you!

Last edited:

thirtydaZe

Reaction score
Very interesting about the Bubbles in your windshield. Just traded for a '23, and at the bottom on my windshield, by where the dash meets the windshield, it looks like something was sprayed on the glass. when I go to feel it, there is nothing to be felt.

They are very small, but a lot of them.

Is this what you are experiencing? Never in a million years would have considered bubbles Inside the glass.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very interesting about the Bubbles in your windshield. Just traded for a '23, and at the bottom on my windshield, by where the dash meets the windshield, it looks like something was sprayed on the glass. when I go to feel it, there is nothing to be felt.

They are very small, but a lot of them.

Is this what you are experiencing? Never in a million years would have considered bubbles Inside the glass.
My 2023 has some black streaks baked into the top driver's side corner...it's out of eye view but I know it's there. Just careless and not worth risking a full replacement.

HowdyHo

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello again. When I made my appointment at the dealership, the guy said he had heard of this before, and that there is something covering the windshield class. I think he said a layer or film.

IIRC/If I Recall Correctly. Every day middle school kids ruin millions of my brain cells.

HowdyHo

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds the same Thirtydaze.

HowdyHo

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rear slider.

Last edited:

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think this is one place that Ram has big quality issues. Parked my truck one night it was maybe 20 degrees and the next morning the windshield had a huge crack almost going across the entire window. It had not had any rock strikes or apparent flaws so all I can assume is that it was a manufacturing defect. I also was a victim of the rear window leak causing the RF unit to fail. What a dumbass place to put the RF unit and not cover it with something that could protect it better. If you make a mistake and leave your slider open in the rain it will be a very costly mistake. My slider never had any problems opening but after the fiasco with the RF hub I don't even open it any more. Hugely disappointed in these issues.

HowdyHo

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have not tried again to get the front window photographed. It is hard to reproduce that morning sunrise view.

HowdyHo

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Zowie, the earliest apt. I can get is mid-June.

HowdyHo

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this has not been fun.

First of all, this is the second time I have heard a dealer say; "where did you buy the vehicle?," I answer and it is followed with a; "you should take it back to that dealership."

This has been so disheartening. I have documented most of this stuff. I need to organize it all.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many insurance companies include a glass rider that covers window replacement so you might want to check into that. This way you don't depend on the dealer to recognize it as being defective/damaged and on top of that with insurance you can choose who does the replacement. Thats how I got my windshield replaced because I have more trust in a company that specializes in just windows. There's no deductible for glass on my policy either so zero cost.

6of36

Reaction score
Well, this has not been fun.

First of all, this is the second time I have heard a dealer say; "where did you buy the vehicle?," I answer and it is followed with a; "you should take it back to that dealership."

This has been so disheartening. I have documented most of this stuff. I need to organize it all.
Any dealer should service any vehicle. I purchased my current Durango from a dealer 50 miles away, because it was 1 of 3 in the state with a towing package. I take it to a close dealer for service every time, and they treat me the same as if I bought from them. They even shuttle me home, and to pick it up when finished. One time it wasn't completed on time, and would have run over the weekend. The sent the shuttle to pick me up so I could get a free loaner for the weekend. I can't believe how bad I hear some dealers are. I would contact customer care, and report that dealer.

HowdyHo

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing silver64, and 6of36.

6of36, I am so jealous!!! Good for you though. Michigan is a loooong drive for me.

Silver64, trying to get these flaws (that were present when I left the car lot after purchase) is not fun. I don't really want to use my insurance. But I am guessing this will not be taken care of by FCA.

I feel like it I have to plead/prove my case. Like I want to spend time on this. I REALLY hate taking time to correct this. I don't enjoy the planning and correspondence on the phone, driving to & from the dealership, arranging rides, and using another person's car in the interim. I want to take another couple videos/images (after the car sits for a few hours).

One other funny thing, I called the day before my service date to confirm my appointment date. They said there is no record of an appointment for me. So I sent a screenshot of the text I received the day before from Dodge confirming my appointment the next day.

Thank you for sharing people.

6of36

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing silver64, and 6of36.

6of36, I am so jealous!!! Good for you though. Michigan is a loooong drive for me.

Silver64, trying to get these flaws (that were present when I left the car lot after purchase) is not fun. I don't really want to use my insurance. But I am guessing this will not be taken care of by FCA.

I feel like it I have to plead/prove my case. Like I want to spend time on this. I REALLY hate taking time to correct this. I don't enjoy the planning and correspondence on the phone, driving to & from the dealership, arranging rides, and using another person's car in the interim. I want to take another couple videos/images (after the car sits for a few hours).

One other funny thing, I called the day before my service date to confirm my appointment date. They said there is no record of an appointment for me. So I sent a screenshot of the text I received the day before from Dodge confirming my appointment the next day.

Thank you for sharing people.
You don't have to use your insurance. These are problems that should be repaired under warranty. As I stated earlier, the slider may just need cleaning of the track, and some silicone spray. There is definitely something wrong with that side window. ( Loose or broken regulator ). As far as the windshield, if it is bad, the dealer won't do the replacement anyway, that gets subbed out to a local glass shop. Ram cares reached out to you, contact them. Also report that dealer to customer cares. During the pandemic, there were major delays, but now, you should get an appt. within a week or two max.

HowdyHo

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK, cleaned & did it again this morning.

HowdyHo

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My local dealer told me to take the truck to where I bought it and have them clean it out.
Did that.

Attachments

• IMG_5808.jpeg
    IMG_5808.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5812.jpeg
    IMG_5812.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5813.jpeg
    IMG_5813.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5810.jpeg