5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Putco Blade Tailgate Light-bar Questions

ktl5005

Reaction score
Yeah, I just wanted to keep things simple and straight forward. I’m not much for messing with electrical, lol. Not my thing. That’s why I went the putco harness, boom boom and it was done
Where’s the clip to undo the factory 7 pin connector and how does it remove? Can’t get the damn thing undone.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where’s the clip to undo the factory 7 pin connector and how does it remove? Can’t get the damn thing undone.
Just pop the whole harness off at the bumper and do it that way it’s a lot easier.

ClayFire2

Reaction score
Do the turn signals all have a delay like your video? I won't want to put that on my truck is thats the case.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do the turn signals all have a delay like your video? I won't want to put that on my truck is thats the case.

So far, yes. It seems the only way to resolve that would be hard-wiring into the taillights.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I believe the opt7 delay is worse than the putco but both have delays.

ClayFire2

Reaction score
I believe the opt7 delay is worse than the putco but both have delays.
Looks like I'll be hardwiring.. wish I would have known before I made my purchase a couple hours ago! Thanks for the info.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be hardwiring.. wish I would have known before I made my purchase a couple hours ago! Thanks for the info.

The delay in person is not bad. There’s no way around it unless you hardwire into the LED taillights and if you do that then you lose the break function because it all runs on one wire. Like everyone else in the other thread, the delay in person is minimal and doesn’t bother me.

ClayFire2

Reaction score
The delay in person is not bad. There’s no way around it unless you hardwire into the LED taillights and if you do that then you lose the break function because it all runs on one wire. Like everyone else in the other thread, the delay in person is minimal and doesn’t bother me.
Alright i guess ill have to see when it shows up, hopefully next week.

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Just got the Putco harness and the Split light bars. My quick connect harness has a clip/connection on it for the reverse lights but my light bar from Putco only has a bare wire with no other hardware. Is this typical? Can I use a bullet connector to attach the harness’ connection to reverse lights/white wire on the light bar?

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Just got the Putco harness and the Split light bars. My quick connect harness has a clip/connection on it for the reverse lights but my light bar from Putco only has a bare wire with no other hardware. Is this typical? Can I use a bullet connector to attach the harness’ connection to reverse lights/white wire on the light bar?
Yes its the way they come. I added a quick connect connector instead of a bullet connector but a bullet connector will work fine. Just make sure you use heat shrink to seal it so you don’t get moisture in it.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
I used the Putco harness - 4 Pin.
The harness comes with a quick connector end (male) on the wire for the reverse lights. I couldn't find a female connector for it so I just put a new quick connector on it that I had both male/female ends. Super easy.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Yes. That’s exactly what I did. Bare white wire with correct size bullet connector into the 5th pin

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Well got the 18” lights installed this afternoon. Pretty straightforward - mistake I made was not putting both of wires to the outside on the strips - so the right light was upside down, had to flip it around. Pretty easy to see everything with the spare tire down, left the tailgate on. Will have to check back in a week or so to make sure my routing is okay.

Overall I think I like the bars 95% as much as the 60” - does have a true OEM feel - and it’s at least 50% less headache to install so happy with my choice.

Also for the reverse light wire I got the wrong size bullet connector - just used a female connector and cut off the quick connector that came on the harness. No issues.

Thanks for the help everyone. 3BF45902-7F13-4109-8CE5-124B816EEAB5.jpeg

davidn0021

Reaction score
Well got the 18” lights installed this afternoon. Pretty straightforward - mistake I made was not putting both of wires to the outside on the strips - so the right light was upside down, had to flip it around. Pretty easy to see everything with the spare tire down, left the tailgate on. Will have to check back in a week or so to make sure my routing is okay.

Overall I think I like the bars 95% as much as the 60” - does have a true OEM feel - and it’s at least 50% less headache to install so happy with my choice.

Also for the reverse light wire I got the wrong size bullet connector - just used a female connector and cut off the quick connector that came on the harness. No issues.

Thanks for the help everyone. View attachment 79978

Looks awesome! I may do mine today as well, depending on how much time I get after I'm done with all my work calls. How low did you install the lights and can you take pics of how you attached all the harnesses and wiring?

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Looks awesome! I may do mine today as well, depending on how much time I get after I'm done with all my work calls. How low did you install the lights and can you take pics of how you attached all the harnesses and wiring?

I can take pics but dark out now and tire tucked back up. Don’t think there is a wrong way to do it honestly. I mounted the lights about as low as possible but could probably go less than 1/4 inch lower, no contact at tailgate. I think with the split lights it’s less than of an issue.

As far as mounting you basically have to make the left side work as there isn’t much wiggle room, then just put the right side at about the same position in relation to the license plate.

Users who are viewing this thread