5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put my 1500 to the test

Joecameron69

Reaction score
I took a trip from Vegas to Missouri to visit the family. Truck is 2020 Ram 1500 bighorn, 3.92, etorque, 4x4, 3311 miles with trip started. I-40 most of the way and truck did great, speed between 75 and 80 most of the way hand calculated my MPG at 19, just wish I had checked the size of the gas tank when I bought the truck as I don't think a truck needs a 23 gallon tank but that's my opinion. Had a great time with the family and thought I would go with Parents to pick up their trailer from the shop after having some repairs done. While there I wondered around the lot and checked out the inventory and price compared to Vegas, found one I liked and was talking to a salesman and he told me the price which was only 19000 for a 2 year old camper, but then he said he could get me into a brand new one for just $20,000. Its a 2021 forest river wildwood 24 foot, had everything I had been looking for and the price was right. (was quoted 30,000 in vegas), Called credit union and money was sent over night. So now here I am in Joplin, MO and am the owner of a new camper, My WDH was sitting in vegas, so had to buy a new on and but they did knock off $200 for the E2 equalizer hitch. Picked up the trailer 3 days ago and started the long haul back up I-40, spend the night in Elk city, OK and when I checked the weather, saw that we were in for a long windy day, pulled out on I-40, 35 to 45 sustained head winds with gust of 60. I have never seen a gas gage move so fast, I averaged 6.4 MPG. Truck was doing great, I cruised along between 60 and 65. The wind lasted from 9 am to 6 pm. Would have been smart to just park and camp waiting for it to die down. but wanted to get home (these mattresses suck in these trailers) So I paid the price. 77 gallons of gass, 430 miles $199. Spent the night in Gallup, NM, and drove home today. No wind and traveled between 65 and 70 mph, and averaged 9.4 MPG. So can my truck tow a travel trailer? yes and it did great just need deep pockets for the gas stops. Camper was empty except for a few towels and luggage, did have 2 full propane tanks 20 pounds each. wheel chocks, water hose, and sewer line. Dry weight of the trailer is 5063 so maybe a 200 extra pounds. Truck had no problem when needed to pass on one of those long *** hills, If I asked it would do it. I have never been one for letting someone else set up the WDH but they insisted so I insisted I help and they did pretty much what I would have done. No sway at all, but when pass under a bridge and the side wind hits you know it, never pushed me out of my lane. I did have it in tow haul mode and did have the cruise set, going down the 6 degree hills, the engine would wind up and downshift and never went over my set cruise speed, and never had to hit the breaks. I know others say no to the using of a 1500 for towing, and it has been years for me last time I towed was with my 1998 Ram Crew cab, knew nothing about payload or gross weight, just knew if it would hook up and move I was good to go, To be young and dumb again, I should be dead now. But just wanted to put it out there that my truck did great. One day if I find I want a bigger trailer I will move up to a 2500, but for now the 1500 works for me.

Attachments

• 20210130_083605.jpg
    20210130_083605.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 174

blakei

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up! Great you got a good deal on the trailer. I totally agree that the 1500 is a great tow vehicle if you set it up right and are realistic about not driving 80 MPH up steep grades. I have the same truck setup and pull a Jayco 28BHS.

Can related to the gas drain... I once pulled into Arco, ID with 1/2 gallon in the tank after leaving Idaho Falls with 3/4 of a tank... unreal headwind and I could watch the gauge drop.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took a trip from Vegas to Missouri to visit the family. Truck is 2020 Ram 1500 bighorn, 3.92, etorque, 4x4, 3311 miles with trip started. I-40 most of the way and truck did great, speed between 75 and 80 most of the way hand calculated my MPG at 19, just wish I had checked the size of the gas tank when I bought the truck as I don't think a truck needs a 23 gallon tank but that's my opinion. Had a great time with the family and thought I would go with Parents to pick up their trailer from the shop after having some repairs done. While there I wondered around the lot and checked out the inventory and price compared to Vegas, found one I liked and was talking to a salesman and he told me the price which was only 19000 for a 2 year old camper, but then he said he could get me into a brand new one for just $20,000. Its a 2021 forest river wildwood 24 foot, had everything I had been looking for and the price was right. (was quoted 30,000 in vegas), Called credit union and money was sent over night. So now here I am in Joplin, MO and am the owner of a new camper, My WDH was sitting in vegas, so had to buy a new on and but they did knock off $200 for the E2 equalizer hitch. Picked up the trailer 3 days ago and started the long haul back up I-40, spend the night in Elk city, OK and when I checked the weather, saw that we were in for a long windy day, pulled out on I-40, 35 to 45 sustained head winds with gust of 60. I have never seen a gas gage move so fast, I averaged 6.4 MPG. Truck was doing great, I cruised along between 60 and 65. The wind lasted from 9 am to 6 pm. Would have been smart to just park and camp waiting for it to die down. but wanted to get home (these mattresses suck in these trailers) So I paid the price. 77 gallons of gass, 430 miles $199. Spent the night in Gallup, NM, and drove home today. No wind and traveled between 65 and 70 mph, and averaged 9.4 MPG. So can my truck tow a travel trailer? yes and it did great just need deep pockets for the gas stops. Camper was empty except for a few towels and luggage, did have 2 full propane tanks 20 pounds each. wheel chocks, water hose, and sewer line. Dry weight of the trailer is 5063 so maybe a 200 extra pounds. Truck had no problem when needed to pass on one of those long *** hills, If I asked it would do it. I have never been one for letting someone else set up the WDH but they insisted so I insisted I help and they did pretty much what I would have done. No sway at all, but when pass under a bridge and the side wind hits you know it, never pushed me out of my lane. I did have it in tow haul mode and did have the cruise set, going down the 6 degree hills, the engine would wind up and downshift and never went over my set cruise speed, and never had to hit the breaks. I know others say no to the using of a 1500 for towing, and it has been years for me last time I towed was with my 1998 Ram Crew cab, knew nothing about payload or gross weight, just knew if it would hook up and move I was good to go, To be young and dumb again, I should be dead now. But just wanted to put it out there that my truck did great. One day if I find I want a bigger trailer I will move up to a 2500, but for now the 1500 works for me.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ve been contemplating (pipe dreaming) a camper to tow for trips with my kids. I would probably go smaller and lighter but I only have 3.21 gears and the small fuel tank. Not ideal for long distance towing but back when I got the truck buying a camper wasn’t even a thought. The pandemic totally changed my perspective on vehicle based travel.

saylor

Reaction score
you should get some kind of award for this the wind was stupid the last few days down here.

iron balls man.

on that wildwood TT - get a tube of clear silicone and hit around every window, especially the top edge of the window frame, especially on the dinette side.

- T. wet kitchennette wall

blakei

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ve been contemplating (pipe dreaming) a camper to tow for trips with my kids. I would probably go smaller and lighter but I only have 3.21 gears and the small fuel tank. Not ideal for long distance towing but back when I got the truck buying a camper wasn’t even a thought. The pandemic totally changed my perspective on vehicle based travel.

We’ve found that realistically we need to stop every 2-3 hours anyway to get the kids and dog out of the car... conveniently that’s about how often we have to fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiremanHemi

Reaction score
Thank you for this! Lol I am currently contemplating buying a camper but you may have just pushed me over the edge lol. Thanks”🤣🤣

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We’ve found that realistically we need to stop every 2-3 hours anyway to get the kids and dog out of the car... conveniently that’s about how often we have to fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So driving from NY to CA should only take me what about 17 days give or take!!! 🤣

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Realistic writeup. Other than fighting the wind, a good trip.
Yeah a 23 gallon tank at 6 mpg is baaaad but then except for out west (where it can be 150miles between gas) you should be ok. Maybe an emergency 5 gallon can would be a good idea, just sayin'.
Thanks again for the writeup and giving confidence to some others.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Considering your camper is the exact size we suggest people to get for a 1500...under 26 foot and under 6500GVWR...your context about us telling people not to tow with a 1500 is lost to me.

Maybe I missed something.

Anyways. Great set up. Hopefully many more will read this and stop being astonished when they hook up to a 34 foot 10k GVWR camper and realize they may not have enough truck. And a person who can optimize their setup can get away with the big trailer too...just a bit more planning and sacrifice of things to do it.

Thank you very much for the review.

You will also find the 24 foot length will help you when it comes time to get those really great campsites. Atleast at our state parks...the over 30 foot crowd get limited to certain camping spots.

Sounds like it was an awesome road trip. I can not wait til April for regular camping season to start here

BigD

Reaction score
I was towing a car trailer modified with a ladder rack & full of siding equipment the other day. Probably weighed 6,000 lbs. I have the same truck you do. It pulled it easily, but sure sucks up the gas. If I towed often, I'd definitely want the diesel. My buddy has a 2018 Ford F-250 gas truck that he normally pulls that trailer with. He gets terrible mileage also, but doesn't want the added expense of owning a diesel. He also pulls a 32 ft camper, & a dump trailer, so he definitely needs a 3/4 ton truck.

Renegade3

Reaction score
Great write up, thanks for sharing! I pull a Geo Pro 19FBS and feel your gas $ pain. The truck pulls it just fine but in high winds it’s t eats the go go juice!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Gassers aren't the only ones with low mpg's. My brother has a new 2020 2500 SRW CC Cummins towing a 31 or so foot Grand Design Solitude 31’ 5th wheel trailer, somewhere around 14K loaded. He just pulled it down from Denver to San Antonio in 30-40 mph crosswinds (the last storm blowin' thru).
Got 9 mpg (and he doesn't speed, probably 65 mph knowing him).
Where did the mid to high teens diesel towing mpg's go?

Edit, found a pic of his trailer... https://granddesignrv.com/showroom/2020/fifth-wheel/solitude/floorplans/310GK
UVW: 12,100 lbs | GVWR: 15,000 lbs | Hitch Weight: 2,350 lbs | Length: 34' 11"

Attachments

• 4F51B3F0-6500-47FD-9637-EF7E7DECC3C7.jpeg
    4F51B3F0-6500-47FD-9637-EF7E7DECC3C7.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can have power...you can have fuel mileage...you get the picture.

The truck world is funny. I want to tow like a Peterbuilt. I want 42 MPG.

The new Cummins is tuned for 1075lb ft of torque. When making that torque it takes energy. Fuel is energy. Air mixes in there. A very large air pump it is lol

Joecameron69

Reaction score
you should get some kind of award for this the wind was stupid the last few days down here.

iron balls man.

on that wildwood TT - get a tube of clear silicone and hit around every window, especially the top edge of the window frame, especially on the dinette side.

- T. wet kitchennette wall
Thanks for the advice on the silicone for the windows, will do it tomorrow.

Pristine1

Reaction score
Gassers aren't the only ones with low mpg's. My brother has a new 2020 2500 SRW CC Cummins towing a 31 or so foot Grand Design Solitude 31’ 5th wheel trailer, somewhere around 14K loaded. He just pulled it down from Denver to San Antonio in 30-40 mph crosswinds (the last storm blowin' thru).
Got 9 mpg (and he doesn't speed, probably 65 mph knowing him).
Where did the mid to high teens diesel towing mpg's go?

Edit, found a pic of his trailer... https://granddesignrv.com/showroom/2020/fifth-wheel/solitude/floorplans/310GK
UVW: 12,100 lbs | GVWR: 15,000 lbs | Hitch Weight: 2,350 lbs | Length: 34' 11"

Imagine if that big non aero dynamic 14k trailer was in cross winds behind a gas engine though. My 18 eco boost that couldn’t tow that trailer anyways would have probably been at 4mpg 😆

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Great write up. You are well within the truck's limits, so it's no surprise it towed w/o issues.

Cheers,

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Imagine if that big non aero dynamic 14k trailer was in cross winds behind a gas engine though. My 18 eco boost that couldn’t tow that trailer anyways would have probably been at 4mpg 😆
That's what he got 2 trucks ago with a 2001 GMC Sierra 8.1 towing a previous 30'.. 4 mpg in Kansas going across I-70 in winds. He almost ran out of gas between towns between eastern Colo and Western Ks.

Pristine1

Reaction score
That's what he got 2 trucks ago with a 2001 GMC Sierra 8.1 towing a previous 30'.. 4 mpg in Kansas going across I-70 in winds. He almost ran out of gas between towns between eastern Colo and Western Ks.

Yeah that’s no fun. That good ole 8.1 will get you there if there’s enough gas stations. Need a fuel cell. My friend put a 60 gallon cell in the bed of his 70 Chevy truck with 600+ HP so he can skip a few stations on the highway.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yeah that’s no fun. That good ole 8.1 will get you there if there’s enough gas stations. Need a fuel cell. My friend put a 60 gallon cell in the bed of his 70 Chevy truck with 600+ HP so he can skip a few stations on the highway.
He really liked that DRW 1 ton, it had some special leather aftermarket package, 4.10's and the Allison. Was a real towing beast but couldn't pass a gas station.

Users who are viewing this thread