5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchasing Ram vs f150

Croman91

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking at replacing my 2010 Big Horn shortly. Looking at a 21 ram 1500 or an f150. Not to start a "which manufacturer is better thread", but how much trouble are you guys having with these trucks? I'm kinda worried about their quality from other vehicles coming over to the ram. I wanna buy something that will last a good 15 years or so. Hopefully my next car will be electric lol.

My thing is that I get Chrysler employee discount so that takes a good chunk off. The f150s seem to be about 10k ish more than the ram, with the ram a little bit nicer.

I haven't had too many big issues with my truck, but I also hardly drive it.

How is the eTorque/mild hybrid systems in these trucks? Is it worth or should I stay away from it? Not really concerned if it's only 1 or 2 mpg extra.

Do you guys hear anything bad about about f150s?

Thanks for any feedback.

Also should add that chrysler really pissed me off with the rusting on this vehicle. I live in Michigan and all but damn.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ve had my truck close to three years, and I had a ton of issues the first year (about a dozen times I had to leave the truck over night).
Now now so much anymore, but a few issues like the brake squeal have come back, so I’m kind of ticked off about it.
Caveat emptor, all vehicles will have issues. Some more than others, and if you go to the F150 forums, you will hear horror stories just as you do on these forums, with leaks, clunks, etc.

Would I buy another RAM? IDK. If my next vehicle is another truck, I will test drive the new F150 and new gen Tundra depending on what they release.
The 2021 F-150 refresh are also nice and will give the RAM a run for its money with their new interiors. Prob not as nice at the RAM, but I’d say they’re almost there. I would drive a few of ea. and see which you like so you can make an impartial decision.

Cheers,

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you’re emp discount makes that big a diff, then the choice is obvious. You just about equal odds of getting a good one....

I like the eTorque, and would get it again, same with air susp, but for me, the MFT is the one must-have option.

12” screens are cool but more reports of issues.

ps - none of the current gen Ford, RAM, GMC are gonna last 15 years. Sure they’ll run, but will not be worth maintaining. By then, you’ll be looking for your second e-p’up....

ToeKnee

Reaction score
With my 2019 I only had minor electronic issues with the apple car play and sometimes the backup camera doesn’t work but these problems only occur to me maybe like 2% of the time and 98% of the time it is fine. But in case you do end up getting the Ford be sure to stay away from the 3.5, my dad brought a 2020 navigator a while back with the same 3.5 and he had the car for less than 2 months before the company brought back the vehicle due to issues.

Awood05

Reaction score
I haven’t had any issues with mine (knock on wood). I LOVE it. I switched from Ford to RAM. The quality was the driving factor (Pun intended). I have the eTorque and don’t have any issues with it.

I would recommend test driving each one and choose the one that you feel comfortable with.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Former loyal Ford owner here. I have had F150's and F250's mustang, fusions, Edge, Contour SVT and more. But Ram won me over with value for what you get and I have had no issues with my 2019 Bighorn and Just ordered a 2021 Bighorn. Ford is just not IMO comparable when you compare equal trims, they are asking too much for what you get. I saw stick with Ram

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I actually sold my 2019 Laramie to buy a 2021 F-150. The more times I test drove the F-150, the more I questioned my judgment. There are a few things I like about the Ford but I keep realizing with the F-150 I am getting less truck for more money. I can get a loaded Ram Limited for $10k less than an F-150 Platinum. So, today I ordered a new 2021 Ram 1500. In the end, I couldn’t get passed the poor ride quality and little value of the F-150

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2018 F150 XLT. The 2021 is a cosmetic upgrade mostly. Got rid of it after 2.5 years because of all the problems.

For longevity, I would go with a nonET RAM. Plus consider the value difference between it and F150. I like the HEMI and driving feel of the RAM better than my F150 with the problematic 2nd Gen 5.0.

Croman91

Reaction score
I’ve had my truck close to three years, and I had a ton of issues the first year (about a dozen times I had to leave the truck over night).
Now now so much anymore, but a few issues like the brake squeal have come back, so I’m kind of ticked off about it.
Caveat emptor, all vehicles will have issues. Some more than others, and if you go to the F150 forums, you will hear horror stories just as you do on these forums, with leaks, clunks, etc.

Would I buy another RAM? IDK. If my next vehicle is another truck, I will test drive the new F150 and new gen Tundra depending on what they release.
The 2021 F-150 refresh are also nice and will give the RAM a run for its money with their new interiors. Prob not as nice at the RAM, but I’d say they’re almost there. I would drive a few of ea. and see which you like so you can make an impartial decision.

Cheers,
That's true about all cars having issues. I guess just figuring out which are less expensive to repair after the warranty is up.

Croman91

Reaction score
If you’re emp discount makes that big a diff, then the choice is obvious. You just about equal odds of getting a good one....

I like the eTorque, and would get it again, same with air susp, but for me, the MFT is the one must-have option.

12” screens are cool but more reports of issues.

ps - none of the current gen Ford, RAM, GMC are gonna last 15 years. Sure they’ll run, but will not be worth maintaining. By then, you’ll be looking for your second e-p’up....
I think the emp dis is around 5500 or so. It definitely helps.
I'm sad to hear the 12" displays are bad. They look awesome. The interior of the ram was a definite advantage over the others.
Good point about them not lasting. I think I could get a few more years out of my '10 but the rust makes me furious just thinking about it and I have a feeling at 93k miles, I'm pushing my limits before something bad happens. Also I need a bigger cab. Baby seat doesn't fit too great in a quad cab lol.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a '13 F150, and I was really set on a '21 F150, but as you can see the Ram won me over.

I really feel like dollar for dollar the Ram gives you more.

Croman91

Reaction score
With my 2019 I only had minor electronic issues with the apple car play and sometimes the backup camera doesn’t work but these problems only occur to me maybe like 2% of the time and 98% of the time it is fine. But in case you do end up getting the Ford be sure to stay away from the 3.5, my dad brought a 2020 navigator a while back with the same 3.5 and he had the car for less than 2 months before the company brought back the vehicle due to issues.
Good thing I learned how to use my mirrors for backing up. Although I will say I get spoiled in the GFs car with all of these modern conveniences. Blind spot monitoring is great until you hop in a car without it and don't remember it's not there!

I would be getting a 5.0l for sure. I've heard too many bad things about the ecoboost. Which sucks, cause I'm all about the boost life. I hear it helps ya get laid.

Croman91

Reaction score
I haven’t had any issues with mine (knock on wood). I LOVE it. I switched from Ford to RAM. The quality was the driving factor (Pun intended). I have the eTorque and don’t have any issues with it.

I would recommend test driving each one and choose the one that you feel comfortable with.
I'm gonna test drive them later this week. I'm interested to feel how the leafspring f150 is compared to the new rams coils.

Croman91

Reaction score
Former loyal Ford owner here. I have had F150's and F250's mustang, fusions, Edge, Contour SVT and more. But Ram won me over with value for what you get and I have had no issues with my 2019 Bighorn and Just ordered a 2021 Bighorn. Ford is just not IMO comparable when you compare equal trims, they are asking too much for what you get. I saw stick with Ram
I'm leaning towards this being the deciding factor. We'll see what kind of price the Ford guy can come up with. It was awfully close to 60k and not even really comparable to the ram at 50k.

Croman91

Reaction score
I actually sold my 2019 Laramie to buy a 2021 F-150. The more times I test drove the F-150, the more I questioned my judgment. There are a few things I like about the Ford but I keep realizing with the F-150 I am getting less truck for more money. I can get a loaded Ram Limited for $10k less than an F-150 Platinum. So, today I ordered a new 2021 Ram 1500. In the end, I couldn’t get passed the poor ride quality and little value of the F-150
One of my biggest concerns was how the truck would hold up. Like if I spend 50k on a ram and it last 10 years compared to 60k Ford and it last 15 years. I was willing to spend a little more for quality but now I'm questioning if there is a difference and even if there is, is it worth the premium.

It does say a lot though that you switched back.

Croman91

Reaction score
I had a 2018 F150 XLT. The 2021 is a cosmetic upgrade mostly. Got rid of it after 2.5 years because of all the problems.

For longevity, I would go with a nonET RAM. Plus consider the value difference between it and F150. I like the HEMI and driving feel of the RAM better than my F150 with the problematic 2nd Gen 5.0.
What kind of issues did you have with your f150? What kind of issue are common in the coyote motors? I thought they were good engines but I guess I'll have to look into it more.

Croman91

Reaction score
Had a '13 F150, and I was really set on a '21 F150, but as you can see the Ram won me over.

I really feel like dollar for dollar the Ram gives you more.
That seems to be the common theme in this thread. Value for the dollar.

saylor

Reaction score
the ram mostly but im biased. either way get the v8 motor whichever brand you get. this ferd ^^ now, and last one i had was a 2016 f150 v.2015 ram 1500 - both times the ferd was about 6k more price v. comparable dodge.
the ram rides way better the ferd is bouncy. its better now than the 2016 model but still bouncy.
the ferd has dual moonroof and options this ram doesnt have - just the options we chose.
the ram has more squeaks and noises and strangeness, screens going off or on randomly, throttle lag, groans and creaks and squeaks, android sync, etc., etc.

Users who are viewing this thread