5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchasing Ram vs f150

kenthelawnguy

Reaction score
Both trucks are nice trucks, I chose a 2021 Ram limited after trading in my 2019 Ram limited due to what you get for the money like the mft, ram box and love the heads up display. I feel Ford didn't do enough for me to buy the 2021 for the money. I have a 2008 f150 and a 2008 Toyota Tundra and love both of those when it comes to getting the driving a real truck feeling and not a luxury car feeling of the new Rams but when I want to feel luxury I drive my Ram. The scary thing about the new F150 is the reports of rust already on them and the 2020 5.0 engines had oil consumption issues. All manufacturers have their issues, even the most reliable Toyotas. I always tell people to pick the one you like to drive the best and hope for the best. All truck lives matter.... lol

Last edited:

hoodac78

Reaction score
I think the emp dis is around 5500 or so. It definitely helps.
I'm sad to hear the 12" displays are bad. They look awesome. The interior of the ram was a definite advantage over the others.
Good point about them not lasting. I think I could get a few more years out of my '10 but the rust makes me furious just thinking about it and I have a feeling at 93k miles, I'm pushing my limits before something bad happens. Also I need a bigger cab. Baby seat doesn't fit too great in a quad cab lol.
I've never had a problem with the 12" screen. I love it. I wouldn't make the assumption that this item is bad just because a few people have issues with theirs. I would suggest that far more people have ones that work properly than ones that don't.
Good thing I learned how to use my mirrors for backing up. Although I will say I get spoiled in the GFs car with all of these modern conveniences. Blind spot monitoring is great until you hop in a car without it and don't remember it's not there!

I would be getting a 5.0l for sure. I've heard too many bad things about the ecoboost. Which sucks, cause I'm all about the boost life. I hear it helps ya get laid.
I came from a 2016 F150 Lariat with the 3.5L and let me tell you I would buy a truck with that engine again, and again, and again. It had good fuel economy, was lightening fast, and Jesus, Mary and Joseph could it tow! I loved the low end torque that it provided. My hemi has to rev a lot higher to get the same amount of torque out of the engine.
In my Ford, I had issues with the IWE's, and in turn the hubs (replaced or fixed maybe 5 or 6 times in the 4 years I had it). I believe that Ford ditched the vacuum system they used to engage the 4x4 system for an electromagnetic one, so hopefully that solved that problem. I also had the frozen door latch issue......I had the truck in a few times for this and they were never able to fix it. I'd have to slam the door, hold it closed and then lock it to prevent it from coming open. I had front end issues as well.....had the front diff and transfer case all overhauled to find the cause of a small grinding noise in there. In the end, that was the final straw for me. I had kind of lost confidence in the truck. I think they had fixed it, but in my head I could still hear the noise and it had to go. I went to Ram for a change (I had a 2010 Ram Sport prior to my Ford), and because of the air suspension. I love the self-leveling for when we tow the trailer. No more sagging **s end when I'm going down the highway. As an everyday driver, I think the Ram does ride a lot more smooth than my Ford did.
I haven't had the opportunity to drive the 2021 F150, but when the time comes to look at a new truck, I would still look at a Ford. Every vehicle will have their gremlins. Like people have said, I would go drive a few of both brands and see what you like best. When problems come up (and they do from time to time), that is what a warranty is for. Ultimately, it is your money and your driving enjoyment, so you have to do what makes you happy. We can all give you our opinions and our experiences, but I do believe that in the end, it is a crapshoot with both brands on whether or not you will have any issues with your new truck.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's true about all cars having issues. I guess just figuring out which are less expensive to repair after the warranty is up.
If you ever do let me know cause’ it’s a crapshoot.
My 2014 Ford Edge Ltd awd has 95K and never a single warranty claim or other issue and it’s loaded with potentially budget breaking options to repair. Others with the same engine have lost timing chains, water pumps, center differentials etc...
The 2011 Prius I had since new (sold in 2018) had 120K trouble-free miles on it, so there’s two success stories.

The problem is neither vehicle can do what the RAM can or compete in the level of ride and interior comfort. Neither could tow a decent size TT or carry much in the way of landscaping material. Other than fuel mileage, I’m ahead in every category.

Will the RAM hold up? Dunno’ but in 13K miles nothing has gone wrong, none of the forum reported issues other than not so cold a/c.

So in summary, “you pays your money and takes your chances”.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the 12" screen. I love it. I wouldn't make the assumption that this item is bad just because a few people have issues with theirs. I would suggest that far more people have ones that work properly than ones that don't.

I came from a 2016 F150 Lariat with the 3.5L and let me tell you I would buy a truck with that engine again, and again, and again. It had good fuel economy, was lightening fast, and Jesus, Mary and Joseph could it tow! I loved the low end torque that it provided. My hemi has to rev a lot higher to get the same amount of torque out of the engine.
In my Ford, I had issues with the IWE's, and in turn the hubs (replaced or fixed maybe 5 or 6 times in the 4 years I had it). I believe that Ford ditched the vacuum system they used to engage the 4x4 system for an electromagnetic one, so hopefully that solved that problem. I also had the frozen door latch issue......I had the truck in a few times for this and they were never able to fix it. I'd have to slam the door, hold it closed and then lock it to prevent it from coming open. I had front end issues as well.....had the front diff and transfer case all overhauled to find the cause of a small grinding noise in there. In the end, that was the final straw for me. I had kind of lost confidence in the truck. I think they had fixed it, but in my head I could still hear the noise and it had to go. I went to Ram for a change (I had a 2010 Ram Sport prior to my Ford), and because of the air suspension. I love the self-leveling for when we tow the trailer. No more sagging **s end when I'm going down the highway. As an everyday driver, I think the Ram does ride a lot more smooth than my Ford did.
I haven't had the opportunity to drive the 2021 F150, but when the time comes to look at a new truck, I would still look at a Ford. Every vehicle will have their gremlins. Like people have said, I would go drive a few of both brands and see what you like best. When problems come up (and they do from time to time), that is what a warranty is for. Ultimately, it is your money and your driving enjoyment, so you have to do what makes you happy. We can all give you our opinions and our experiences, but I do believe that in the end, it is a crapshoot with both brands on whether or not you will have any issues with your new truck.
Exactly! One stop on the F150 forums will show you that Ford has issues they have not fixed in years.
Each maker has problems. What style, ride, power level and overall cost pleases you?
We bought RAM instead of Ford in 2019 not due to any of Ford’s mechanical or body concerns but entirely on comparing the ride, fit/finish, tech and price. We saved at least $10-12K right off the top and got a superior truck (at least in 2019).
If I towed a lot or often with a 1/2 ton I’d go Ford. Otherwise, it’s RAM.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will say that if you aren't putting too many miles on your truck it can last 15 years. My 2007 Ram 1500 I bought brand new was what I traded in on this 2019 Limited and it was far from being done- No rust, no issues, still ran and looked great with only 108,000 miles and they gave me pretty decent trade in on a 12 year old truck. The only reason I upgraded was because what Ram did with the 2019 Model was a game changer and there was tons of reasons to pull the trigger. (1,600 Lbs more towing capacity with same 5.7 Hemi 3.92 gears, Air suspension that wasn't even an option in 2007, Pano Roof compared to sunroof, Aluminum tailgate that is so easy to close, 12 inch touchscreen, surround cameras, top safety pick, eTorque and new aerodynamics which give me right around 2 MPG more than my 2007 and this 2019 is 300 Lbs heavier, better interior, much roomier rear seat which rivals luxury sedans, locking tailgate, smoother and quieter ride, cooled seats which were not an option in 2007 Ram, more storage, reclining rear seats, Led mood lighting that lets you and your passengers find stuff and see at night inside the truck, two 120V plugs, numerous USB ports, heated rear seats.... I was truly amazed with all of the updates and better platform and still love it today! I have had a couple issues but for the total package the Ram is a better value than the ford as stated and just a little bit more refined.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I will say that if you aren't putting too many miles on your truck it can last 15 years. My 2007 Ram 1500 I bought brand new was what I traded in on this 2019 Limited and it was far from being done- No rust, no issues, still ran and looked great with only 108,000 miles and they gave me pretty decent trade in on a 12 year old truck. The only reason I upgraded was because what Ram did with the 2019 Model was a game changer and there was tons of reasons to pull the trigger. (1,600 Lbs more towing capacity with same 5.7 Hemi 3.92 gears, Air suspension that wasn't even an option in 2007, Pano Roof compared to sunroof, Aluminum tailgate that is so easy to close, 12 inch touchscreen, surround cameras, top safety pick, eTorque and new aerodynamics which give me right around 2 MPG more than my 2007 and this 2019 is 300 Lbs heavier, better interior, much roomier rear seat which rivals luxury sedans, locking tailgate, smoother and quieter ride, cooled seats which were not an option in 2007 Ram, more storage, reclining rear seats, Led mood lighting that lets you and your passengers find stuff and see at night inside the truck, two 120V plugs, numerous USB ports, heated rear seats.... I was truly amazed with all of the updates and better platform and still love it today! I have had a couple issues but for the total package the Ram is a better value than the ford as stated and just a little bit more refined.
You should add a few more upgrades to your list, ha ha. Seriously, that shows just how much has changed since then.
(Cue the “where’s the real working trucks” discussion...)

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What kind of issues did you have with your f150? What kind of issue are common in the coyote motors? I thought they were good engines but I guess I'll have to look into it more.

The 2nd Gen Coyote 5.0 started in 2018. The ones prior to 2018 are fine. But these had (and still have) a rattle coming from one of the solenoids when the engine is cold and you take your foot off the throttle quickly. Most on the Ford forums think it is a lack of oil getting to the upper part of the engine when cold. If so, not good. It just sounds awful, too. There is also a throttle body whistle. It doesn't cause problems (as far as I know) but annoying with the window down. Mine, and many others, drank oil for two years until they came out with a TSB for ECM reprogram that seemed to fix it. They used coolant that is known to clog heater cores after a few years, though they switched to the new yellow stuff about two years ago so not an issue on new trucks. When cold out (under 15 deg) for the first two or three minutes the truck would keep accelerating a few seconds after you took your foot off the gas. For most not a problem, but for me based on my driving route from home this was dangerous.

I had issues as well with dash warp. Got the dash replaced under warranty and it squeaked and rattled. After 6 months it was warped again. This was the last straw for me and I traded it on the RAM. There is a class action lawsuit out of FL related to this. You'd see nearly every brand new XL, XLT, and even some Lariats on the lot that had the warp, for trucks and Expeditions.

Then there are the very common problems I never had: frozen door locks, IEW failures.

The ride was jumpy, even after I put Bilsteins on the back. Starting in 2018 Ford put monotube rear shocks on which helped the truly unsafe ride in the 2015-2017, but they are cheap and like I said even with the Bilsteins it was jumpy becaues of the light bed. The RAM feels more under control and powerful towing.

I know it was an XLT, but even compared to the BH the Ford just felt cheap and poor quality control.

I liked a few things about the Ford. The different shifting/transmission modes was nice. The infotainment screen and dash auto dim at night. But other than that... the RAM is way better overall.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Well said. I knew that the 5.0 had oil usage from watching their forums, it actually got pretty severe, like whole new short blocks...

From the f150 forum, posted 1-22-2021:
”No oil issues on my 2019 5.0. However, you may have the decel rattle issue (2018+) that there is apparently no fix for still. I live with it because I have no other choice. Definitely wouldn’t have bought the truck if I knew it was going to do this every time I drive.”

And coolant issues? Shades of the Dexcool disasters of the late 1990’s and early to mid 2000’s with GM. I had 2 Buicks which nearly succumbed to the plastic gasket Dexcool issue. Both were $1600-1700 on my dime, GM never has admitted any fault, course, that’s par for GM.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with what a lot of the other guys are saying. They all are nice trucks and all have issues so just get the one you like the best. I’ve had 5 different rams over the years, a Sierra, 2 Silverado’s, and one Ford.

The Ford was a 2013 F150 with the 3.5 eco boost. I bought it with 30k miles on it. After only 10k miles of my ownership it started going into limp mode anytime I’d step on it at all. Brought it to the dealer and couldn’t replicate it and it had no saved codes so they couldn’t do anything. I tried replacing the plugs and that didn’t help. The next time it did it, it saved a code saying mis fire on cylinder 5 so I replaced the coil pack on that one and it didn’t help. Next time it did it there was no saved code again. After almost getting in an accident because I tried to pass someone and it went into limp mode I decided to get rid of it.

That truck is the only truck that ever gave me any trouble, not bad considering how many I’ve had. Buy the one you like the best

Maxx102

Reaction score
I currently have a 2016 F-150 Supercrew with a 2.7 Ecoboost. I've had issues with the truck since I bought it and after 5 years I am looking at a new truck....specifically a Ram 1500. One of the problems early on is the body control module was shorting out in the rain because somebody at the factory forgot to plug a hole in the firewall between the engine compartment and passenger area. Truck in the shop for a week, new BCM wasn't programmed correctly because the rear sensors haven't worked since. While reprogramming the BCM should be covered under the warranty, I've been quoted $200 for labor to do the programming. The alternator failed and ended up replacing two batteries. Fortunately the BCM and alternator were all warranty repaired items.

Unfortunately the Ram I am looking doesn't appear to be in my price range, so I am reconsidering some of the options. What I would like is a 21 Big Horn, night edition, with LED's, and the 12 inch infotainment system in either Granite or Billet Silver.

Zig10

Reaction score
Looked at all of the big 3 when I bought my Ram and just kept coming back to it. As a point of note, I also have a 2018 Expedition Max, so call it an analog to the F150, and it has been back to the dealer more in 2 years than any other vehicle I have owned. I still really like it as a family hauler, and the 3.5 EB hits like a hammer compared to the Hemi, but it can't touch the Ram for ride quality, comfort, and interior level.

I sat in a 2021 F150 the other day, and it is an improvement over the last gen, but it still doesn't touch the Ram. Next mid cycle refreshment may push it up there, but currently it does not.

All that said, I am seriously interested in seeing how the hybrid system holds up in the real world and how the other companies respond. As with most, my Ram has been a bit of a disappointment in the MPG category, while my Expedition has been right on the window sticker, and both have the max tow packages with the deep rear in them.

Good luck with your decision.

BowDown

Reaction score
If you ever do let me know cause’ it’s a crapshoot.
My 2014 Ford Edge Ltd awd has 95K and never a single warranty claim or other issue and it’s loaded with potentially budget breaking options to repair. Others with the same engine have lost timing chains, water pumps, center differentials etc...
The 2011 Prius I had since new (sold in 2018) had 120K trouble-free miles on it, so there’s two success stories.

The problem is neither vehicle can do what the RAM can or compete in the level of ride and interior comfort. Neither could tow a decent size TT or carry much in the way of landscaping material. Other than fuel mileage, I’m ahead in every category.

Will the RAM hold up? Dunno’ but in 13K miles nothing has gone wrong, none of the forum reported issues other than not so cold a/c.

So in summary, “you pays your money and takes your chances”.

My previous Gen 3 Ram gave me 277K relatively trouble free miles. I had a valve spring break in Jan 20 which it what prompted me to start looking for a replacement and I had the diff rebuilt at 180k, aside from that, 1 sparkplug change, oil changes, a water pump, a radiator and an AC fan, thats it. I doubt that truck cost me $2000 in outside the normal maintenance. I have zero concerns about this new truck

As you were

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to a first truck purchase.. and these are my thoughts

For the past year(?), I've been reading the various forums.
Most of last year I was sold on getting a RAM as my first truck; however, I think the 2021 Ford F150 is changing my mind.

Things I like about the 2021 Ford F150
  • Aluminum Body
  • The cutaway side windows on the front drive/passenger. Such a simple, brilliant idea IMO.
  • The 3.5 Hybrid option
  • The 7.5 Power Outlets
  • ~20 miles to the gallon
  • The interior looks nice to me (but I think the Ram interior is still the best)
Things I like about the Ram 1500
  • The Interior (feels high quality)
  • The Air Suspension (the 2nd thing I loved most when I test drove a 2020)
I've decided to wait for the 2022's because Toyota should have the redesigned Tundra, the Ram should have UConnect 5, and the F150 Hybrid should be at 2nd Gen so bugs should hopefully be worked out.

Regards

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting to see a lot of comments about the 2018+ 5.0 V8 Ford issues here. They changed it again (at least slightly) for 2021, added cylinder deactivation to it, on top of a few more ponies. Seems they took a page out of the 5.7 HEMI playbook, where its an 8-to-4 or 4-to-8 system, nothing in-between (unlike GM's multi-mode system).

I doubt 2022 model year will have UConnect 5 for RAM. They're probably saving that for the 2023 model year refresh. However, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Ramboxes are one of the things that do it for me. If a F-150 had 95% of the Ram's interior, on top of all the features people have liked/listed about them above, and an equivalent to a Rambox, I may have bought a F-150 in 2020 (or waited for their 2021 redesign). But the lack of Rambox-equivalent killed it for me.

EDIT: That and the headlights. The headlights on the Longhorn/Limited/TRX are the best factory truck headlights out there right now, performance wise. We'll see if they still are after they test the 2021 F-150s projector LEDs.

Last edited:

GARebel19

Reaction score
I was going back and forth on buying an F150 and Ram almost 2 years ago. I drove every engine the F150 offered and all it took was one drive in the Rebel. I have no regrets and I have had zero problems. The truck has never been back to the dealer. I also have the 12" screen and it has always worked like it should. Now that being said I only have about 13k miles and my Rebel is a garage queen.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will say that my Ford F550 still has a battery light on and off that will not be solved. Supposedly it is a calibration issue in the Powertrain Control Module that their software engineers refuse to fix because it would be too expensive for their bottom line. Had it in the shop 7 times and even had to threaten Ford Corporate with legal action when they were going to try to charge me $1,700 for the 7th visit to the dealer with the same issue since I was out of warranty at 53,000 miles and 3+ years old. Ram has never tried to charge me for something that was identified under warranty.

Amazing93

Reaction score
I think the emp dis is around 5500 or so. It definitely helps.
I'm sad to hear the 12" displays are bad. They look awesome. The interior of the ram was a definite advantage over the others.
Good point about them not lasting. I think I could get a few more years out of my '10 but the rust makes me furious just thinking about it and I have a feeling at 93k miles, I'm pushing my limits before something bad happens. Also I need a bigger cab. Baby seat doesn't fit too great in a quad cab lol.
I wouldn't say the 12" screens are bad. I've had mine 19 months and 0 issues with it.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't say the 12" screens are bad. I've had mine 19 months and 0 issues with it.
Agreed. More prone to issues than the 8.4", based solely on this forum? Maybe. I still love mine.

Three times now, the 12" screen has goofed on me. Once, it kinda froze; the steering wheel buttons and physical buttons worked, screen would display what I was doing, but touch screen itself would not recognize touches. A key cycle (completely off, wait for screen to go black, and then on again) fixed that.

Twice at different times, after starting the truck again shortly after it had been turned off (while the screen was in the process of going black/shutting down), the screen stayed black and would not come on. Again, a key cycle fixed them as well.

If a simple restart/reboot (key cycle) fixes it, I'm not going to complain much. Probably means a software update could fix it from happening again, later down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread