5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Production version of REV disappointing

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pretty much all EVs have the charger at the front. The batteries will be in the body, not the bed. I think I read somewhere they will have airflow to cool the batteries. I don't recall where I heard that though. I agree the original concept looked terrible, not a truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They both look like concepts.
I mean where the hell are the tire treads on the one on the right?
And why would they put air vents in on the bottom to increase drag on an EV that doesn't even have an air intake.

They both look terrible.
Put the charger "cap" where the gas tank should be too.
Air vents for battery cooling

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What a horrible marketing failure, overpromised a month ago and under-delivered now, but hey, at least they came out with a funny superbowl commercial. Even as an EV skeptic I'd stand in line to buy the one on the left, if the one on the right is the actual release version, I'm out.

View attachment 151636
crap, was trying to stay positive but it sure does look ugly in this pic

GMetal

Reaction score
Imagine the problems when the back window plastic cracks and it leaks into the cab and ruins the electronics.

6of36

Reaction score
Imagine the problems when the back window plastic cracks and it leaks into the cab and ruins the electronics.
They had said it would have a mid gate. Every vehicle ever made with a mid gate leaked. Chevy Avalanches were atrocious for it.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing this has proven for sure is nobody understands the purpose of a "CONCEPT" vehicle. Its just a showcase of ideas, not a preview of what is to come.
They see what people like vs. doubt, then evaluate which to facilitate in a product years down the road.

Few examples:
Hyundai Santa Cruz: Concept 2015 / Production 2022
Dodge Challenger: Concept 2005 / Production 2008
Tesla Cybertruck: Concept 2021 / Production 2152
Concept vehicles don’t get shown a month before the production version. The fact that they just talked this concept up so high a mere month before this was shown is asinine. I’m well aware of the purpose a concept vehicle serves. It is unfortunate that they stopped doing concept vehicles a long time ago. This ended up just being a poor attempt to excite people for a product that is going to be a healed sell to true truck die hards

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We could end up with both. The "normal" looking truck could be the mass-produced version (think Bighorn), and the sleek one could be the top-trim version (think TRX).
I’m thinking $200k TRX with how ridiculous prices have gotten.

slatersan

Reaction score
They both look like concepts.
I mean where the hell are the tire treads on the one on the right?
And why would they put air vents in on the bottom to increase drag on an EV that doesn't even have an air intake.

They both look terrible.
Put the charger "cap" where the gas tank should be too.
The production vehicle pretty closely mimics the current gen styling.

If you think that looks like a concept....well ok then.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The production vehicle pretty closely mimics the current gen styling.

If you think that looks like a concept....well ok then.
The first contact looks like a real concept. The second one looks a child took a regular ice 5th Gen and was learning how to use photoshop.
They both look bad, the second one not as bad, but again where are the tire treads? Looks like a fake picture (I know It's from Ram)

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
What a horrible marketing failure, overpromised a month ago and under-delivered now, but hey, at least they came out with a funny superbowl commercial. Even as an EV skeptic I'd stand in line to buy the one on the left, if the one on the right is the actual release version, I'm out.

View attachment 151636
Here's my .02. Well, maybe 7c, I talk a lot.

Something that BEVs have done for the better is that they've finally shaken up the market, in all vehicle types. Big design shift, new concepts, risky new ideas. Some of the ideas are good and some bad, like the VW ID-series, the user interface is the most heavily criticized piece of garbage we've seen in a long time. On the other hand, we have some cool stuff to look forward to:
Frunks:
lightning-2.jpg

Gear tunnel:
ltebdo53t7z71.jpg

mid gates:
1229419_81_111432_MLkbpDUag.jpg

awesome design:
maxresdefault.jpg

large-50468-hyundaimotorsnbrandunveilstworollinglabconceptssignalinghigh-performancevisionforelectrificationera-1657897794.jpg

Some things are a certain way for a reason (peak design, like a round steering wheel), but I think pickup trucks have gotten a little stale with their ideas. I actually chose a Ram DT because I think they try a little harder than Ford and Chevy. I think the DT has the best interior, best interface, good storage, good options, modern (coil) suspension. And that's coming from someone who would've never touched a Dodge/Chrysler product.

The Ram Revolution Concept gave me a lot of hope that Ram would do what Chevy did and started with a blank page. Overall, I DON'T LIKE the Revolution concept, but I like what it represents: new ideas. I don't like the 4 captain's chairs or jump seats, I'll take a rear bench seat with under-seat storage any day of the week. I don't like the floating glass roof. I don't like the oblong steering wheel or the lack of buttons on the center console. It's a concept car for a reason and Ram went very concept-y with it. It's eye candy that I would never actually want to own.
IMG_6621.jpg

The Production Ram REV is a safe design....probably too safe...but I get it, because it's something I could actually live with. The DT is actually very, very, well designed and thought out. Look at our huge ****ing 12" touchscreen. You know what I love the most about this screen? It's the fact that Ram figured out how to put this screen into our trucks without compromising on buttons and knobs. Except for the seat/steering wheel warmers, ALL the buttons and knobs are still intact.....and I ****ing love it. I don't have to diddle around with an iPad just to change the temperature or adjust the volume.

dodge-ram-apple-carplay-android-auto.jpg

I think safer designs will eventually win out. People don't want to re-learn everything about operating a car, they want it to be familiar and functional. Ram could've done more, but they wanted to be safe and they wanted to get the vehicle to market sooner, like Ford did. Ford stuck a battery onto a Raptor frame and called it a day. It was lazy as hell, but guess who's selling the most Electric Pickup Trucks, right now? Ford just made the Lightning a household name. They're the "Kleenex" of the EV truck world and that's probably going to benefit them for years to come.

Ford can worry about all those risky new ideas when they start working on the 2nd generation. They just wanted to get something to market as soon as possible. I think Ram gave up on the Revolution concept so they could get something to market soon, too, and again, the DT is still an amazing truck. I don't think the Revolution concept is dead, but I think it's on hold until Ram starts thinking about the 6th generation.

slatersan

Reaction score
The first contact looks like a real concept. The second one looks a child took a regular ice 5th Gen and was learning how to use photoshop.
They both look bad, the second one not as bad, but again where are the tire treads? Looks like a fake picture (I know It's from Ram)
Guess it's a miss and not for you then.

6of36

Reaction score
Here's my .02. Well, maybe 7c, I talk a lot.

Something that BEVs have done for the better is that they've finally shaken up the market, in all vehicle types. Big design shift, new concepts, risky new ideas. Some of the ideas are good and some bad, like the VW ID-series, the user interface is the most heavily criticized piece of garbage we've seen in a long time. On the other hand, we have some cool stuff to look forward to:
Frunks:
lightning-2.jpg

Gear tunnel:
ltebdo53t7z71.jpg

mid gates:
1229419_81_111432_MLkbpDUag.jpg

awesome design:
maxresdefault.jpg

large-50468-hyundaimotorsnbrandunveilstworollinglabconceptssignalinghigh-performancevisionforelectrificationera-1657897794.jpg

Some things are a certain way for a reason (peak design, like a round steering wheel), but I think pickup trucks have gotten a little stale with their ideas. I actually chose a Ram DT because I think they try a little harder than Ford and Chevy. I think the DT has the best interior, best interface, good storage, good options, modern (coil) suspension. And that's coming from someone who would've never touched a Dodge/Chrysler product.

The Ram Revolution Concept gave me a lot of hope that Ram would do what Chevy did and started with a blank page. Overall, I DON'T LIKE the Revolution concept, but I like what it represents: new ideas. I don't like the 4 captain's chairs or jump seats, I'll take a rear bench seat with under-seat storage any day of the week. I don't like the floating glass roof. I don't like the oblong steering wheel or the lack of buttons on the center console. It's a concept car for a reason and Ram went very concept-y with it. It's eye candy that I would never actually want to own.
IMG_6621.jpg

The Production Ram REV is a safe design....probably too safe...but I get it, because it's something I could actually live with. The DT is actually very, very, well designed and thought out. Look at our huge ****ing 12" touchscreen. You know what I love the most about this screen? It's the fact that Ram figured out how to put this screen into our trucks without compromising on buttons and knobs. Except for the seat/steering wheel warmers, ALL the buttons and knobs are still intact.....and I ****ing love it. I don't have to diddle around with an iPad just to change the temperature or adjust the volume.

dodge-ram-apple-carplay-android-auto.jpg

I think safer designs will eventually win out. People don't want to re-learn everything about operating a car, they want it to be familiar and functional. Ram could've done more, but they wanted to be safe and they wanted to get the vehicle to market sooner, like Ford did. Ford stuck a battery onto a Raptor frame and called it a day. It was lazy as hell, but guess who's selling the most Electric Pickup Trucks, right now? Ford just made the Lightning a household name. They're the "Kleenex" of the EV truck world and that's probably going to benefit them for years to come.

Ford can worry about all those risky new ideas when they start working on the 2nd generation. They just wanted to get something to market as soon as possible. I think Ram gave up on the Revolution concept so they could get something to market soon, too, and again, the DT is still an amazing truck. I don't think the Revolution concept is dead, but I think it's on hold until Ram starts thinking about the 6th generation.
The huge 12" touch screen, is now the smallest in the industry. When Ram went 12, the competition went larger. We were just the first to go that big.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Guess it's a miss and not for you then.
Does this look safe to drive to you? It legit looks like a crap photoshop picture of a regular 1500.
That's the point I was trying to make. The second picture is just another concept, not an actual truck or else it would have actual god damn tires on it instead of whatever this is suppose to be.
1676649619473.png

6of36

Reaction score
Does this look safe to drive to you? It legit looks like a crap photoshop picture of a regular 1500.
That's the point I was trying to make. The second picture is just another concept, not an actual truck or else it would have actual god damn tires on it instead of whatever this is suppose to be.
View attachment 152030
They are both obviously renderings and not pictures of actual vehicles. The picture in my signature, is a rendering of my truck, that Ram showed of my build. The wheels pictured are not what the actual wheels that were produced look like. No tread on those tires either. The first picture you posted clearly says concept. The second picture is a rendering of the production vehicle. If you don't like the design, don't buy it.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
In wonder if the electric version will come with a leaky rear window like my gas version? Going on week three with my truck in the shop, and it's kind of funny to see the announcements about latest greatest tech, when Ram fails at getting even the simple stuff right...like windows.

At least with the limited range of an EV I won't have to be in there with the foggy windows too terribly long. :)

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The initial concept...was more like a dream version...with EVERY SINGLE Bell and whistle. I mean...did you see the glass roof and how the rambox were literally the entire fender flips up. It's a $150k truck...and only the 1% could afford that one

I knew it was not going to be a production version....so they sh!t to bed on that version. I just never got it.

Now with the production version, it's alot tame.....at least give me something different with either the roof, or something innovated in the bed, but fell flat on their face with it.

For me...right now today...if I had $75k for a ev truck.....hands down, I would go to a rivian truck...until I see the Chevy Ev.

My list right now for ev Trucks war

1. Rivian R1T

2. Silverado ev ( like the sleek look)

3. Ram ev

4. Gmc hummer ev (might be out of the price range here

5. F150...it's a plain truck..but it drops on the list because for a plain ev truck pricing isn't good. I like the initial pricing when it came out...then they added $10-$15k, and screwed up the market

Final notes. The pricing is just ridiculous for these trucks. Your getting less range, less towing, longer charging, and they want to charge a premium over gas trucks.

Sorry folks but pretty much who ever sells a sub $50k pickup will win hands down...even if it's crappy, it will be cheaper investment.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

slatersan

Reaction score
View attachment 152030
Bro, you're riled up over photoshop.

You hate the production renderings. We get it. Don't buy one, it'll be ok.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The huge 12" touch screen, is now the smallest in the industry. When Ram went 12, the competition went larger. We were just the first to go that big.
They are going bigger on the screen. I saw somewhere that the REV is getting a 13.4" display, plus the digital cluster, and the optional passenger side infotainment display.

About the only difference in displays is Ram is sticking with the vertical display, where as the other manufacturers are going horizontal. Time will tell which way is better

6of36

Reaction score
They are going bigger on the screen. I saw somewhere that the REV is getting a 13.4" display, plus the digital cluster, and the optional passenger side infotainment display.

About the only difference in displays is Ram is sticking with the vertical display, where as the other manufacturers are going horizontal. Time will tell which way is better
My current ride is a 21 Durango, with a 10.5, My last was a Laramie with 12. The one waiting for me is a Limited with a 12. I will miss the horizontal 10.5. Horizontal has a much better layout.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My current ride is a 21 Durango, with a 10.5, My last was a Laramie with 12. The one waiting for me is a Limited with a 12. I will miss the horizontal 10.5. Horizontal has a much better layout.
I have not had any experience with the horizontal display. But I like the layout of my 12" display in my 2020 BTS. With the top/bottom split screen I feel it maximizes the available real estate and user defined information displayed.

Reactions: @JC

Users who are viewing this thread