5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Production version of REV disappointing

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just looking at the production version of the REV and what a disappointment. I hate EV’s but really thought the revolution looked cool and would out do the competition. Being that they just showed this concept, I figured the production version would at least come close to it. Instead, they put a different grill and tailgate on a 1500. I know there’s more to it that that but the lack of creativity is very disappointing to me. On another note, where is the 5th Gen 2500 at? I can’t believe they are still selling this almost 15 year old platform

Pale Al

Reaction score
I think RAM did something smart regarding the release date. We will see what the next president says before they start leaving the factory?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the number of people I saw complaining about the concept not looking like a "truck" the production version is more of what people will actually buy, and expect for a Ram 1500 truck.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A RAM 1500 looks wrong to me without two round exhaust tips sticking out of the ream bumper!

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Being that this truck is still a year out and the 5th gems are already in need of a refresh, this just shows that they are not keeping up with the times. The heavy duty is years overdo for a new platform and the 1500 looks to not be getting a refresh anytime soon. Too much money and resources being spent on this electrification nonsense and not enough on the cars and trucks people want to buy.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Being that this truck is still a year out and the 5th gems are already in need of a refresh, this just shows that they are not keeping up with the times. The heavy duty is years overdo for a new platform and the 1500 looks to not be getting a refresh anytime soon. Too much money and resources being spent on this electrification nonsense and not enough on the cars and trucks people want to buy.
Why does the 5th gen 1500 need a refresh? They have continued to add tech with the digital guage cluster. And a failed Uconnect 5 update. I mean, they are still building and selling the "classic" 4th gens. I'm going to guess when the Hurricane finds it's way into the Rams there will be a refresh. Probably 2025

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pretty accurate. The mid cycle refresh of the 1500 is confirmed for the 2024 model year, I think this BEV truck is giving us some hints to those likely styling cues.

Highly likely the hurricane will make its debut in the 1500 then.

The Classic Ram is RAMs mid sized competitor, at least based on price, it's paid for itself already, likely not going away soon.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why does the 5th gen 1500 need a refresh? They have continued to add tech with the digital guage cluster. And a failed Uconnect 5 update. I mean, they are still building and selling the "classic" 4th gens. I'm going to guess when the Hurricane finds it's way into the Rams there will be a refresh. Probably 2025
Used to be they would run a model 7 years with a mid cycle refresh mid way. Now they are running platforms for ever and doing very little. I don’t consider the new gauge screen a big improvement. If they want to stay on top they have to actually invest in the product. They have had a very hard time bringing in new models. The entire us product line is old with the exception of a couple Jeeps which took forever to come out and still have old power trains in them mostly. I still think this is the best truck available, but Chrysler or Stellantis wants to keep taking market share, they have got to raise the bar and stop wasting money on Alphas and Fiats that nobody buys

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Used to be they would run a model 7 years with a mid cycle refresh mid way. Now they are running platforms for ever and doing very little. I don’t consider the new gauge screen a big improvement. If they want to stay on top they have to actually invest in the product. They have had a very hard time bringing in new models. The entire us product line is old with the exception of a couple Jeeps which took forever to come out and still have old power trains in them mostly. I still think this is the best truck available, but Chrysler or Stellantis wants to keep taking market share, they have got to raise the bar and stop wasting money on Alphas and Fiats that nobody buys

I think part of the delay was the Covid situation, they were expecting the mid-cycle for 2022 or 2023, but pushed it back. We will finally see what that refresh will be this year as it will come out as a 2024 model year. Makes sense to extend it at this point, especially if they are planning on going heavy on EVs.

@JC

Reaction score
What a horrible marketing failure, overpromised a month ago and under-delivered now, but hey, at least they came out with a funny superbowl commercial. Even as an EV skeptic I'd stand in line to buy the one on the left, if the one on the right is the actual release version, I'm out.

RamRevFailure.jpg

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We could end up with both. The "normal" looking truck could be the mass-produced version (think Bighorn), and the sleek one could be the top-trim version (think TRX).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What a horrible marketing failure, overpromised a month ago and under-delivered now, but hey, at least they came out with a funny superbowl commercial. Even as an EV skeptic I'd stand in line to buy the one on the left, if the one on the right is the actual release version, I'm out.

View attachment 151636
There's too much going on with the concept for it to ever make it to production. And even if it was closer to what the concept looked like most of the one off features the concept had wouldn't be included. Such as the stadium seat inspired rear seats, third row option, suicide doors and pass through. Incorporating those into a production model would drive the price so high 95% of your market couldn't afford it.

The production version that has been released will appeal to more buyers in the target audience. Which is the goal of any new vehicle. Appeal to the broadest range of buyers.

You want futuristic, buy a Cyber truck that looks nothing like an actual pick up, and will lack utility because of the design. You want a truck, that can be a truck, but is EV, that's what Ram, Ford, Chevy, and Rivian have released.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing this has proven for sure is nobody understands the purpose of a "CONCEPT" vehicle. Its just a showcase of ideas, not a preview of what is to come.
They see what people like vs. doubt, then evaluate which to facilitate in a product years down the road.

Few examples:
Hyundai Santa Cruz: Concept 2015 / Production 2022
Dodge Challenger: Concept 2005 / Production 2008
Tesla Cybertruck: Concept 2021 / Production 2152

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only thing this has proven for sure is nobody understands the purpose of a "CONCEPT" vehicle. Its just a showcase of ideas, not a preview of what is to come.
They see what people like vs. doubt, then evaluate which to facilitate in a product years down the road.

Few examples:
Hyundai Santa Cruz: Concept 2015 / Production 2022
Dodge Challenger: Concept 2005 / Production 2008
Tesla Cybertruck: Concept 2021 / Production 2152

Exactly, and very few manufacturers are taking the time/money to do actual concepts anymore and when they do their usually just slightly modified production versions. Ram's timing could be better, probably not a good idea to release a concept and then the production version a few weeks later.

slatersan

Reaction score

View attachment 151636
I, and I'd think most people are, am of the opposite opinion.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I, and I'd think most people are, am of the opposite opinion.
They both look like concepts.
I mean where the hell are the tire treads on the one on the right?
And why would they put air vents in on the bottom to increase drag on an EV that doesn't even have an air intake.

They both look terrible.
Put the charger "cap" where the gas tank should be too.

Users who are viewing this thread