5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PRICE PROTECTED - KOONS 10K OFF MSRP OR 11% Below MSRP

knightro84

Reaction score
So who can speak up about their actually purchase experience through Koons??

I factory ordered my truck from them in 2018 when I lived in Florida. Craig and I agreed on a trade-in allowance on the vehicle I was driving at the time, as long as I kept the miles under a certain number. When I ordered, it was 7% below invoice, plus Florida tax/tag and a $699 processing fee. I also would get either the $3,000 consumer cash that was available when I signed the order, or if incentives at delivery were higher, I'd get those instead. The $1,695 destination charge was not added again anywhere.

The order process was very simple. I sent Craig my build on 10/4/18, he priced it out, we agreed on the trade allowance, and I signed it and sent a $500 refundable deposit (or it might have been $1,000, I can't remember - but it was definitely refundable if I didn't close the deal for any reason). I had a VON the next day and a VIN was assigned 5 days later. Truck was delivered to Koons on 11/20/18 and I picked it up 12/9 due to Thanksgiving and work travel plans eating up my weekends between then.

Drove up there, arrived when the dealership opened, and Craig was quick to greet me and sent my paperwork to the finance office. After that, he brought the truck around - he asked me if I needed or wanted any help going over the truck and I told him I wanted to go over it myself, which he obliged and let me know he'd be available for any questions I had.

It took longer than I was hoping to get called up to the finance office, and once there it was typical finance office stuff. I know it's their job to push the warranties and extras, but I didn't want any of it so got the deal signed and was on my way. I will say the finance guy I dealt with was on the pushy side. The deal I ended up finalizing was exactly the deal I negotiated with Craig 2 months prior. Literally to the dollar. They estimated tag costs for Florida, even though I knew what they would be exactly - so I ended up overpaying those but I got a refund check from Koons within 6 weeks for the difference.

I was there for a total of maybe 3 hours.

Craig is the real deal. He doesn't set the processing fee. He's not going to BS you. If you buy a truck off their lot at their "Koons Price", they add freight back in - but they are clear about it on the vehicle postings. As far as I know (from reading multiple dodge/ram/jeep forums where Craig posts group buys), freight is not added again on factory orders. It wasn't on mine. I will say that if you're buying a truck out of their inventory, it does seem like it might be pretty tough to end up at the "Koons Price" listed on their website. But there were plenty of dealers in Florida that played that game too - basically show all available incentives that maybe 1 person in the entire state would qualify for to get you in the door.

My deal, even with the $699 processing and the cost of me driving round trip to Virgina from Florida, was still a couple grand better than I could have done locally.

If you're looking to factory order a Mopar and live within a reasonable distance of Koons, I'd definitely recommend giving Craig a shout. There are pages and pages of happy customers who have ordered Jeeps from him on different Jeep forums, and from what I remember most of the negative comments tended to revolve around their finance office.

Koons_Tysons_Corner

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I was going to ask about that. It is not listed as an add on in the "deal". Not sure if my font needs to be increased for any fine print I am not seeing.
Koons,

Please verify if destination is added in along with the $899 fee or not.
Destination is already included in our forum deals. It is not a seperate fee. 6% Below invoice plus tax, tags and $899 processing....

1ramrunner

Reaction score
Most dealers in Maryland and Virgina try to add the destination back in. They usually show MSRP and their discount and a selling price. Then in the fine print at the bottom they sneak in destination that was already part of the MSRP. I argue that the money saved from MSRP is their discount and that includes destination. They say all the other dealers do it, but I don't care. I have never paid it and never will. I have never had to walk away, they adjusted it. I guess they are happy if it works most of the time because that's bonus money.

Koons_Tysons_Corner

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Most dealers in Maryland and Virgina try to add the destination back in. They usually show MSRP and their discount and a selling price. Then in the fine print at the bottom they sneak in destination that was already part of the MSRP. I argue that the money saved from MSRP is their discount and that includes destination. They say all the other dealers do it, but I don't care. I have never paid it and never will. I have never had to walk away, they adjusted it. I guess they are happy if it works most of the time because that's bonus money.
Definitely understand what you're saying. But to be super super clear we don't do that on here.

m.hamner

Reaction score
Hi @koons!

I've got a truck coming from you guys sometime hopefully over the next few months! Random question, but does your dealer put on Koons decals when you receive the truck or can we opt out of that and just go with the branded license bracket?! Huge fan of decal deletes where applicable.

GFK51

Reaction score
I was charged TWICE for the destination charge from Koons last year, sure would like them to refund that charge back to me, and then you have their finance office............................

knightro84

Reaction score
Hi @koons!

I've got a truck coming from you guys sometime hopefully over the next few months! Random question, but does your dealer put on Koons decals when you receive the truck or can we opt out of that and just go with the branded license bracket?! Huge fan of decal deletes where applicable.

They didn't put one on mine when I factory ordered.

knightro84

Reaction score
I was charged TWICE for the destination charge from Koons last year, sure would like them to refund that charge back to me, and then you have their finance office............................

Did you factory order your truck or buy it off the lot?

Koons_Tysons_Corner

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hi @koons!

Yes you can indeed opt of having the sticker on the vehicle

jimk hunt

Reaction score
So who can speak up about their actually purchase experience through Koons??
I bought my 2019 Limited from them.. Perfect transaction (did not finance) and the price quoted at order was exactly what I paid. Flew from ATL to DC to drive it home. No dealer in ATL would touch the price at that time.

GFK51

Reaction score
so where is it charged a second time?
On my buyers order. The Mike Monroney sticker on my vehicle shows the 1695 destination charge and then on they buyers order on the second line it shows another 1695 destination charge. I had visited a couple of other dealers and questioned them about it and they replied that everyone does it.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
On my buyers order. The Mike Monroney sticker on my vehicle shows the 1695 destination charge and then on they buyers order on the second line it shows another 1695 destination charge. I had visited a couple of other dealers and questioned them about it and they replied that everyone does it.
Wow, I have never seen a dealer charge again as it usually is part of the complete price on the WS.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Wow, that's definitely sucky.

knightro84

Reaction score
They take freight/destination out of their advertised "Koons Price" and then add it back in separately on the buyers order. I see it as a way to show a lower price on the website for vehicles on their lot to get people in the door, but its clear on their vehicle listings that the Koons Price does not include freight/destination. I don't think I'd buy a truck off their lot for that practice alone - but, since this is a thread about factory ordering your truck, I can confirm that they do not add back in freight on factory ordered trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread