5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

79 300

Reaction score
Ok...new to the forum. I saw a Woodhouse add for 16k off a big horn 49k down to 33k. I have bought from them before they were great and deliver for free. Looking at other prices this seems much much cheaper than many have paid....so asking what gives? I’ll give them a call tomorrow as really their add was only thing that got me looking as it’s a want not a need. They are not a bait and switch place...does ram have too many of these out and are getting worried already?
There is a dealer in the Philadelphia area that advertises prices that are way, way below the others. They include every possible rebate in their price, and NOBODY will qualify for all of them. There may be a incentive for buyers with a credit score below 600, and another for credit scores over 700. It is impossible to have both, but they list it. There are rebates for realtors, farmers, recent college grads, and all kinds of things. When you actually go in to deal with them, suddenly the price jumps from $12000 off to maybe $4000 off, similar to others in the area. It is a classic trick to get you in the showroom.

Dreng

Reaction score
2019 ram rebel 5.7 4x4 quad cab level 1 group towing package
sticker 50,400 I believe
don't know invoice
traded a 2016 Chevy Silverado 15000 quad cab 4x4 ltz71 for 29000
out the door price before trade in was 42800
Opinions? good deal? felt like It was. no other dealership was offering me that price for even a bighorn

Price is good. You may be able to do better as truck month is predicted to start either Feb or Mar.

Looking at Rebel with Rebel 12 I seem to find about 6k dealer discount, 1250 rebate is average. Some dealers will have as high as $7500 dealer discount at end of month to hit quota. Also factor in the 1k conquest and if you can get the truecar or Sam's it's another $500 unless you qualify for USAA which is 1k.

So if you ca find anything between 8k to 9.5k it's good to avg deal imo.

Jlud

Reaction score
So the catch I found was something I missed...it’s the big horn classic that is 16k off which apparently is the old body style 1/2 year change. The picture in the add did show an older body I thought it was an error. He told me around 12 off on the full 19s.

muller1414

Reaction score
I am working on currently negotiating an order for a Laramie Sport (msrp $60,975). Current offer is $54,408 ($6,567 dealer discounts). Rebates to be determined when delivered. I feel this is an average deal. I may negotiate some add ons (running boards, hard bed cover) if dealer won't discount more. Any opinions/help would be appreciated.

frankd

Reaction score
Just bought myself a big horn crew cab short bed. 4x4. I'm located in NY
Black with black appearance package. Level 2 equipment and bed utility group. MSRP of $50,225. Price paid of $40,291 (not including tax and DMV fees. The rebate was $5,250 plus dealer discount of $4,684.
I found the deal on TrueCar. At first the dealer wouldnt honor the truecar price (that was sent to me from THAT dealer on THAT exact vehicle). The called me the next day and said they'd do it. Out of principle I wanted to say no...but there were no other black/black vehicles within 50 miles that had the same equipment (and no more).
Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!!

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Alright my RAM brethern. I am getting close to pulling a trigger on a truck I've been wanting, but I want your guy's opinion on this.

Here's truck: https://www.boernedodge.com/invento...w-1500-laramie-rwd-crew-cab-1c6rrejt9kn705668
December 5th build date.
Laramie 4x2
V8
Black apperance package.
Anti Spin
Pano roof
Running boards
Wheelhouse liners
33 gallon tank
12" system
Brake control
Dealer addons (tint $350, wheel locks $199 , GPS truck locator $798)

MSRP: $58690
Dealer Discount: $8988
Price: $49702 + Negative equity ($2671) + Dealer Options ($1347) = $53720
Rebates: $5000
Total: $48720
Fees: $395
Tax: $3045

Grand Total OTD: $52,160
If I didn't have dealer options or negative equity it would have been: $47,890 OTD (18.5% off MSRP)
Without tax it is roughly 24% off MSRP :)

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
If I didn't have dealer options or negative equity it would have been: $47,890 OTD (18.5% off MSRP)
Without tax it is roughly 24% off MSRP :)

What do you guys think?

..since you asked.

I think I'd wait to find one without the dealer options and in the meantime, I'd pay off that negative equity and be a much bigger winner in the longer run!

Deriggs007

Reaction score
..since you asked.

I think I'd wait to find one without the dealer options and in the meantime, I'd pay off that negative equity and be a much bigger winner in the longer run!

I’m going to negotiate them off still

Also, negative equity will be more the longer I wait (lease) and every mile is $$ I have to keep paying for 6 months more. It’ll be close to 4K then :(

mwarriner

Reaction score
2019 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab
5.7L eTorque engine package
Customer Preferred package 27H (Protection Group, Advanced Safety Group, Trailer-Tow Group)
Level 2 Equipment Group
Leather bucket seats
full length floor console
12-inch Uconnect 4C NAV display
26-gallon tank
Full length running boards
20-inch wheels
Delmonico Red
MSRP: $59,305
Dodge rebates: $4500
Negotiated price: $46,345
Felt I got a good deal... no other dealer in the area could touch it.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
I’m going to negotiate them off still

Also, negative equity will be more the longer I wait (lease) and every mile is $$ I have to keep paying for 6 months more. It’ll be close to 4K then :(

Your deal is offset by the overpriced dealer add ons. $800 gps locator sounds like the dealer is asking you to pay for when the truck is repo’d.

Candidly, it sounds like you are spending more than you should given your negative equity.

I’d be spending less and looking for a truck without the dealer extras.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Your deal is offset by the overpriced dealer add ons. $800 gps locator sounds like the dealer is asking you to pay for when the truck is repo’d.

Candidly, it sounds like you are spending more than you should given your negative equity.

I’d be spending less and looking for a truck without the dealer extras.

The negative equity is because it’s a lease. But since I’m military and had to travel around and then had to commute about 800 miles more a week, the mile overage is what got me. It has nothing to do with "can't afford it cause of negative equity"

Hence why I’m looking to get out of it ASAP. I could just pay off the lease. But it’s just moving the money around. Whether the dealer pays it off or I pay off the lease, I still have to pay the same amount of money. It's better to get out of it now than wait the 6 months left on lease + mile overages of 20c/mile with an average of 1400 miles per month.

So yeah, don't give me that "repo" crap good sir.

I have no idea what the gps dealer option would cost. But I plan to have that factored off.

Last edited:

Dreng

Reaction score
Good luck on negotiating them down on the dealer options. I went round and round with them on just the 3 years oil changes and they would not budge at all.

You ready to give up the rebel 12?

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Good luck on negotiating them down on the dealer options. I went round and round with them on just the 3 years oil changes and they would not budge at all.

You ready to give up the rebel 12?

Rebel 12 is gone off the lot already. But if you find one on there, all your's man!
And yeah, some places do not negotiate on dealer options. I negotiated the bed liner off because it wasn't even installed.
I want to negotiate the GPS tracker off, but it was supposedly wired into the engine or something.
Will try to negotiate the tint, because I want to do my own tint and I know wheel locks are $50 on amazon lol.

Yeah nvm, they will not budge on dealer options... so $2347 in dealer options...... $1000 for a maintenance package that is good "anywhere".
It is 3yr service. 2 tire rotations and 2 synthetic oil changes each year for the first 3 years. A total of 6 each.

Last edited:

Stasek

Reaction score
Rebel 12 is gone off the lot already. But if you find one on there, all your's man!
And yeah, some places do not negotiate on dealer options. I negotiated the bed liner off because it wasn't even installed.
I want to negotiate the GPS tracker off, but it was supposedly wired into the engine or something.
Will try to negotiate the tint, because I want to do my own tint and I know wheel locks are $50 on amazon lol.

Yeah nvm, they will not budge on dealer options... so $2347 in dealer options...... $1000 for a maintenance package that is good "anywhere".
It is 3yr service. 2 tire rotations and 2 synthetic oil changes each year for the first 3 years. A total of 6 each.

It’s a moot point right now - but.... Do you like your currently leased vehicle? $0.20/ mile is pretty decent. If you wind up racking up another 8-10k miles resulting in another $2k in fees, do you think the miles you put on the new Ram will be cheaper? Not sure when the production on ‘20 Rams will start, but they might be available by then.

Dreng

Reaction score

Yep guy I was talking to started yelling at me over the phone when I pointed out the bed liner and wheel locks from the factory is cheaper then they were asking. Not to mention my Chevy dealer does $75 full synthetic on my silverado and wifes Camero which both take extra oil. The local oil shops only charge $100 for full syntetic. He respite ded with there cost is $150 for full syntetic with tire rotation. Which is only $900 for 6 years.

They just seemed way to shady and tried playing way to many games for my taste.

feaguy

Reaction score
Here is my deal (bought at the end of last year, may be of limited usefulness since we are about to be in Feb):
  1. No trade
  2. 2019 RAM Big Horn 4x4, Panoramic Sunroof, 3.92, 33 gal tank, wheel well liners, e-torque, locking rear diff, trailer brake controller, level 2 group
  3. MSRP: $54,770
  4. Negotiated price: $38,500 (plus TTL)
  5. Rebates used: USAA, Conquest, Chrysler Cap, regional stuff

truck.jpg

My dealer was a huge pain to work with and tried some scuzzy stuff and would not recommend them.

After owning the truck for a month, I have a list of things to get fixed/checked out:

1. Front LED reading lights don't work
  2. Tailgate cables are loose (not under tension) with gate dropped
  3. Truck had a check engine light on when brand new and went away after a few restarts. Not sure. Been running fine for about 1800 miles now but will take it to dealer soon to get the TSBs/firmware updates done.
  4. Engine w/ MDS (cylinder deactivation) makes a slight rattling sort of noise (coming from exhaust area) under load at about 1500-1800 RPM (I've seen someone in the forum talk about this, as well). Not sure if a problem or normal, just noticed it.
  5. Power folding mirrors bump windows when folded
  6. Driver's side door misaligned
  7. Front hood/panels misaligned
  8. Interior rattle @ rear passenger area (around ceiling)
  9. Squeek from center console hinge area when weight (such as an elbow) is placed on it

I already changed the oil myself, it was not an easy process nor clean. It's pretty tight in there spacewise, especially without the truck on a lift or anything (and crawling around on the cold driveway). The factory puts the can on extremely tightly as well.

However, next time I think I can do it fairly quickly. I have an oil can gripping claw (such as this) attached to a series of ratchet extensions and, while tight, it's able to reach and get the filter off quickly and easily. The trick is doing it cleanly (will employ the plastic bag method next time).

Enjoy the sunroof way more than I thought I would. Really enjoy the truck. I think someone said with the 3.92 gears that the truck goes into MDS more readily and I can attest to that. It will go into MDS very quickly and often in town and even hold in MDS while accelerating up small hills. On the highway it will still go into MDS at around 70 mph or so but disengage on even slight inclines. I get about 19-20 MPG highway so far w/ the 3.92 gears (going 65). At 70mph I get about 18.5 mpg. Also really like having the 33 gal fuel tank. No sunroof leak issues... yet. Will be watching for that.

All in all pretty happy with the truck despite the quality issues, we'll see how the dealer responds to my laundry list when I take it in.

Cygnus A

Reaction score
No you need more discount , also verify your mf/residual are correct .
I leased a 59k Laramie (2wd - lower residual) also I’m in Florida so incentives were **** here . I got 36/12 at 550/mo 1st payment DAS.
I've tried 20+ dealers in Arizona and Texas. I am getting nowhere with further discounts. The most I am getting off is $9233. I did get more off MSRP at another dealer but they wanted to go with US BANK which has terrible rates compared to Chrysler. Their quote 770/month. I couldn't believe it.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
It’s a moot point right now - but.... Do you like your currently leased vehicle? $0.20/ mile is pretty decent. If you wind up racking up another 8-10k miles resulting in another $2k in fees, do you think the miles you put on the new Ram will be cheaper? Not sure when the production on ‘20 Rams will start, but they might be available by then.

Buying and not leasing the ram so doesn’t matter the miles. The fees from overage miles isn’t biggest problem. It’s the total amount of miles I put on. I’ll have 58k miles in 3 years

That means I need new tires. New brakes and so on. When I return the vehicle. I’m going to have close to $4k in miles plus maybe another $1000 in other defects.

I thought about waiting for the 2020s. But then it’s all guestimation and if it’s not..... then it’s money I’m just out.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Yep guy I was talking to started yelling at me over the phone when I pointed out the bed liner and wheel locks from the factory is cheaper then they were asking. Not to mention my Chevy dealer does $75 full synthetic on my silverado and wifes Camero which both take extra oil. The local oil shops only charge $100 for full syntetic. He respite ded with there cost is $150 for full syntetic with tire rotation. Which is only $900 for 6 years.

They just seemed way to shady and tried playing way to many games for my taste.

I got the maintenance package to $390. About same as a mopar coupon. But it’s full synthetic. Now just need to do the other options

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Ram Rebel
Retail 58k
Dealer 5200

and I had that I got 1k over average NADA trade value to offset the kind of low dealer discount

If you have a trade, you really cant use that in the numbers because it can be very misleading. I would say you want to be shooting for 10% dealer discount or more and you are doing good. Also kind of depends on the trim and options, I could have gotten 13% off a 60k dollar laramie which would have ended up being cheaper than the rebel but thats not what I wanted. Big horns are always going to have the huge rebates, but its kind of a scam if you think about it. A loaded big horn is about the same price as decent optioned Laramie (think level 1 truck without sport). That shouldn't be.... so it seems like you are getting this super deal by saving 15k off the price but its really just a sales gimmick.

That being said, I do think the big horn is one of the best buys. Its hard to be a 34k dollar truck thats got all that. I just think realistically, retail on them should be mid to high 40s, not off into the low 50s.

happy shopping!

Users who are viewing this thread