5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you drove your new truck home, we’re you concerned with the break-in? RamChat told me to vary the speed and not travel at highway speeds until after 300mi and only after that should I heavy throttle. It’s a 12 hour drive from Lake Charles to KY if I recall, lol. I’m planning on going slow as recommended but gosh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I’m wondering that too. It’s all interstate home for me. Guess I’ll be riding the right lane :/

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the 2018 Ram 1500/2500/3500 owner’s manual:

• A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
  • Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
  • While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
  • Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.
  • The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”.
  • Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
  • Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

AevJk1day

Reaction score
From the 2018 Ram 1500/2500/3500 owner’s manual:

• A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
  • Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
  • While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
  • Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.
  • The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”.
  • Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
  • Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

Great, thank you for the information! Going to be a slow drive home, lol

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'll take side roads and creep to Rayne, LA then get on the interstate. It's a little over an hour and 62ish miles.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A buddy of mine that is a consulting engineer for race teams just sent me his advice.

"Usually what you want to avoid during break-in is running at light load and the same RPM for long periods of time. So, I don't think it's a problem to go 60-70 (or at least, I don't see why they'd require that). But definitely try to drive at a variety of speeds and loads when you can. Maybe just exit and take some parallel US highway sections when they exist... stuff like that. Especially since that drive is gonna be pretty flat. WOT is good, but only at higher speeds. Don't launch the thing from the light, that's not good for the ring & pinion before they are fully bedded. Engine braking is also good, so you can manually downshift and let it have a little engine braking.

Hope this helps"

AevJk1day

Reaction score
A buddy of mine that is a consulting engineer for race teams just sent me his advice.

"Usually what you want to avoid during break-in is running at light load and the same RPM for long periods of time. So, I don't think it's a problem to go 60-70 (or at least, I don't see why they'd require that). But definitely try to drive at a variety of speeds and loads when you can. Maybe just exit and take some parallel US highway sections when they exist... stuff like that. Especially since that drive is gonna be pretty flat. WOT is good, but only at higher speeds. Don't launch the thing from the light, that's not good for the ring & pinion before they are fully bedded. Engine braking is also good, so you can manually downshift and let it have a little engine braking.

Hope this helps"

Thank you for sharing!

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Ram Limited off the lot our of state, they discounted $1500 off the sticker, a full tank of gas and a pretty fair deal on the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty.
That was a big deal to me, I drive 40 to 50K miles a year...
Tom

Johnnyb001

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 Ram Limited off the lot our of state, they discounted $1500 off the sticker, a full tank of gas and a pretty fair deal on the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty.
Tom
What company is backing the lifetime warranty now? I thought Ziegler (Mopar) had discontinued that offering?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tom
If it is Warranty Forever’s lifetime warranty, you mist likely overpaid and try coverage is highly prescriptive. You can’t change your own oil - ever - as it must be done by the dealer. If not, you have to call and get permission for another certified mechanic shop to do the oil change. What you paid for is definitely not a Mopar lifetime warranty as they are no longer sold.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I'll check tomorrow but I think it is CNA, had them on my Silverado and had a couple of major problems at 99,000 miles and no problem at all with them covering everything. I changed my own oil (amzoil) and filter, kept great records and there was no problem when I had a lifter failure. At 99,000 miles service rear vision system problem, they replaced video processing module, radio module and camera. Again no problems.
Tom

KMitch

Reaction score
2021 Limited. They were running around 72k + TTL. I was under on my trade by about 2k. Between a 3,500$ dealer incentive, 500$ military incentive, And some negotiating. I had a final price of 67k. Put 7k down. Financed 60k even. Pretty much all the dealers around me (San Antonio, Tx) aren't really discounting hardly anything off MSRP. The trucks they get they sell almost immediately. They also said all the 2500 and 3500's are sold before they even hit the dealership.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 Limited. They were running around 72k + TTL. I was under on my trade by about 2k. Between a 3,500$ dealer incentive, 500$ military incentive, And some negotiating. I had a final price of 67k. Put 7k down. Financed 60k even. Pretty much all the dealers around me (San Antonio, Tx) aren't really discounting hardly anything off MSRP. The trucks they get they sell almost immediately. They also said all the 2500 and 3500's are sold before they even hit the dealership.
Sounds like you didn’t go with Aaron?

Runagun

Reaction score
Sounds like you didn’t go with Aaron?
Unfortunate aspect is people that buy from Aaron or the other top dealers that we know in this thread isn't a majority. And there's people that are happy with just getting a few percent off their vehicles. So mostly everyone in this thread should be happy they got great deals.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang, my 2022 10th Anniversary Edition is 63K before any manufacturer incentives.

sflindsey

Reaction score
When you drove your new truck home, we’re you concerned with the break-in? RamChat told me to vary the speed and not travel at highway speeds until after 300mi and only after that should I heavy throttle. It’s a 12 hour drive from Lake Charles to KY if I recall, lol. I’m planning on going slow as recommended but gosh...
emoji15.png

My apologies for not replying sooner. I was out of town for a few days for family. I did not have any concerns about the drive back or the break-in period. I had a sixteen hour drive back to Ohio. I drove four hours to Hattiesburg, MS after picking up the truck and the rest of the way the next day.

AevJk1day

Reaction score
My apologies for not replying sooner. I was out of town for a few days for family. I did not have any concerns about the drive back or the break-in period. I had a sixteen hour drive back to Ohio. I drove four hours to Hattiesburg, MS after picking up the truck and the rest of the way the next day.

No problem, thanks for the reply.

brenan00

Reaction score
I just received a call from Bonus Drive (the Allstate $250 coupon) they are closing my application as I have not
bought my truck yet since it is still in production. I can reapply once I receive the truck, as long as I take possession by August 1st, FCA is discontinuing the program after that. I think I will be missing out on this as my truck is due to be built July 15th then 3 to 5 weeks to Hawaii looking more like Labor Day

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just received a call from Bonus Drive (the Allstate $250 coupon) they are closing my application as I have not
bought my truck yet since it is still in production. I can reapply once I receive the truck, as long as I take possession by August 1st, FCA is discontinuing the program after that. I think I will be missing out on this as my truck is due to be built July 15th then 3 to 5 weeks to Hawaii looking more like Labor Day
Well that's a bummer. I went ahead and applied for it too since my credit union qualifies. No way I'll make it though since it's a 2022

Users who are viewing this thread