5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
lol Just give us the engine option on a regular Ram...would be sweet on a Limited and would be under $80k :) Stripped version gets you cloth/vinyl seats standard which is silly on an almost $72,000 truck ($69,995 base plus $1695 destination charge). The TRX loaded tops $100K...insane. Not to mention dealers will upcharge $10K plus for this thing.

I'd love that, Limited SRT, Id even be ok with it detuned down to 550-600 hp

BowDown

Reaction score
I'd settle for the 6.4L tuned to about 450/450 in the ram 1500. just some sport upgrade to 5.7L. TRX will take a year or two to settle down on price after initial demand is used up.

I dont think so, the RedEyes and Hellcats are still commanding top dollar, the dealer market adjustment may/will fall off after a year or so but itll still be a 100K Truck

Burninrubber2416

Reaction score
Planning on going Friday to Lustine in Woodbridge, Va to purchase a 2020 1500 Big Horn level 2 4x4 5.7 with 5’7” bed.
MSRP is $52,880
Dealer Discount $6,379
Rebates $8,000
Purchase Price $38,501 plus $1,695 freight, $799 doc fee, $3,021 taxes, $294 license and fees for a total price of $44,311 out the door. Do y’all think this is a good deal or should I push for a little more?

FTRO

Reaction score
I'm surprised somebody didn't beat me to posting.... Is this the MSRP that includes the freight in the MSRP...Like when I bought mine 3 1/2 weeks ago (not in VA). or is this the new MSRP not including freight.....Since you didn't say. Why 799 doc fee? most are 399 or less when I was searching, other than volume dealers like Koons etc.. Sorry, but I had to ask? Don't want you getting dinged twice for freight! Even with the added freight on the total = 24% off MSRP. That's about as good as people have been getting since this Rona bs has started. If the deal makes you happy, I wouldn't worry to much about saving a few hundy more. Get the truck you want and will be happy with !!!!!!
I also might be out of the loop being away from the computer a week or so.

BeemerG

Reaction score
I have given up shopping for new truck. 2 of my workers bought new trucks both diesel. 1 is GMC Elevation with 3L less then 3000 miles already in the shop for overheating. Other one Ram Big Horn Eco Diesel, about 8000 miles truck has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks has a oil leak. Told my wife we are not buying new truck this year, so we went out and bought brand new Motorcycle. Life is good by by truck for now.

Burninrubber2416

Reaction score
I'm surprised somebody didn't beat me to posting.... Is this the MSRP that includes the freight in the MSRP...Like when I bought mine 3 1/2 weeks ago (not in VA). or is this the new MSRP not including freight.....Since you didn't say. Why 799 doc fee? most are 399 or less when I was searching, other than volume dealers like Koons etc.. Sorry, but I had to ask? Don't want you getting dinged twice for freight! Even with the added freight on the total = 24% off MSRP. That's about as good as people have been getting since this Rona bs has started. If the deal makes you happy, I wouldn't worry to much about saving a few hundy more. Get the truck you want and will be happy with !!!!!!
I also might be out of the loop being away from the computer a week or so.

Where would I find it to be able to tell if freight is included in the MSRP? And I will definitely reference the lower doc fees when I go Friday. It’s worth a shot, $400 is $400! Overall I’m happy with the deal for sure, it’s just always good to get second opinions and make sure I’m not leaving anything on the table. Looking forward to joining you guys in the 5th gen owners club very shortly!
Edit: I found in the window sticker posted online from Chrysler that the destination charge is included in the MSRP and I will be sure to point this out to them and avoid being charged twice, thank you so much for that insight!

Last edited:

Spork

Reaction score
I just got this lease deal on a 2020 BigHorn 4x4 Crew

MSRP: $52,285
Cap Cost: $44,700
Residual: $27,100
Down Payment: $500
Monthly Payment: $430+tax

42 months/10k miles

I’m happy with it :cool:

2 Pulled Hammys

Reaction score
Planning on going Friday to Lustine in Woodbridge, Va to purchase a 2020 1500 Big Horn level 2 4x4 5.7 with 5’7” bed.
MSRP is $52,880
Dealer Discount $6,379
Rebates $8,000
Purchase Price $38,501 plus $1,695 freight, $799 doc fee, $3,021 taxes, $294 license and fees for a total price of $44,311 out the door. Do y’all think this is a good deal or should I push for a little more?
I'm not an expert by any means, this is just how I'm looking at it with these Northern VA/DC/MD dealers. Their true dealer discount on this truck is the $6379 - $1695 Freight - $799 doc fee = $3885 which is a dealer discount of just over 7 percent, which is probably somewhere in the ballpark of invoice price. Some people may not factor the doc fee into the dealer discount just writing it off as something they have to pay regardless, but some of these places are charging up to $995 for this BS fee. It's smoke and mirrors the way they breakdown their pricing, but anything outside of the TTL costs is the price of the truck to me. And just for reference, you can factory order a 2021 with other DMV dealers, Criswell and Koons, in the ballpark of 10-11% dealer discount that already includes freight. You just wouldn't know what rebates would be available when it got here.

Your $8000 in rebates is pretty good, do you know which ones they are specifically? Do you qualify for the truck owner conquest $1000 rebate? I also assume this has you financing with Chrysler Capital for at least $1500 in rebates. If so, you'll probably want to refinance at a better rate. I'd be curious to hear any details you can provide here as I'm in the Mid-Atlantic region and the rebates are close to good enough for me buy, but just not quite there.

All that said, this deal puts you at over a 22% discount which I think is pretty decent deal on a Big Horn CURRENTLY, but in reading this thread some people have gotten 25-30+ percent off these trucks in different times. I'd start by pushing back on the freight being included in the MSRP, then the high doc fee. If they won't budge on either, maybe you could tell them they can keep the $799 doc fee as a separate line item, but you'll need them to take another $500 out of the price of the truck. If they'll do any of those things, then this deal becomes even more palatable, but if it's the truck you want and you're happy with the deal I'd go for it. Again, just the opinion of one man who's currently sitting on the sidelines waiting to buy. Let us know how it goes.

Burninrubber2416

Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means, this is just how I'm looking at it with these Northern VA/DC/MD dealers. Their true dealer discount on this truck is the $6379 - $1695 Freight - $799 doc fee = $3885 which is a dealer discount of just over 7 percent, which is probably somewhere in the ballpark of invoice price. Some people may not factor the doc fee into the dealer discount just writing it off as something they have to pay regardless, but some of these places are charging up to $995 for this BS fee. It's smoke and mirrors the way they breakdown their pricing, but anything outside of the TTL costs is the price of the truck to me. And just for reference, you can factory order a 2021 with other DMV dealers, Criswell and Koons, in the ballpark of 10-11% dealer discount that already includes freight. You just wouldn't know what rebates would be available when it got here.

Your $8000 in rebates is pretty good, do you know which ones they are specifically? Do you qualify for the truck owner conquest $1000 rebate? I also assume this has you financing with Chrysler Capital for at least $1500 in rebates. If so, you'll probably want to refinance at a better rate. I'd be curious to hear any details you can provide here as I'm in the Mid-Atlantic region and the rebates are close to good enough for me buy, but just not quite there.

All that said, this deal puts you at over a 22% discount which I think is pretty decent deal on a Big Horn CURRENTLY, but in reading this thread some people have gotten 25-30+ percent off these trucks in different times. I'd start by pushing back on the freight being included in the MSRP, then the high doc fee. If they won't budge on either, maybe you could tell them they can keep the $799 doc fee as a separate line item, but you'll need them to take another $500 out of the price of the truck. If they'll do any of those things, then this deal becomes even more palatable, but if it's the truck you want and you're happy with the deal I'd go for it. Again, just the opinion of one man who's currently sitting on the sidelines waiting to buy. Let us know how it goes.
It does include a $500 rebate for financing with Chrysler capital, I have a loan set up with my credit union already, so I will take my options as far as rates go and determine if the $500 rebate is really worth it to me, and then refinance accordingly if necessary. It does include a conquest rebate as well, I can’t remember off the top of my head the rest of the rebates. I have only had talks over the phone so far, so once I have papers in front of me I plan I’m trying to lower the price some more, especially the added freight. But I do feel like in the current market it’s not a terrible deal. I’ve been told this dealer is really pushy once you get to the table for financing and will make every effort to sell you as many add ons as possible. It definitely takes a strong will to buy a vehicle these days.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So much good information here folks.

Another question...in regards to financing. Some of the factory rebates, and APR rates come from using Chrysler capital. I've already been "pre-approved" by other places...however, has anyone gotten pre-approved by Chrystler capital before setting foot in the dealer?

Reason why im asking..as we know dealers tend to be sneaky with their rates, so sometimes they might increase the Apr by 1% to pad their numbers. Thanks.
Edited to reflect that dealers might add 1% apr to what you are already approved.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So much good information here folks.

Another question...in regards to financing. Some of the factory rebates, and APR rates come from using Chrysler capital. I've already been "pre-approved" by other places...however, has anyone gotten pre-approved by Chrystler capital before setting foot in the dealer?

Reason why im asking..as we know dealers tend to be sneaky with their rates, so sometimes they might increase the Apr to 1% to pad their numbers. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
If your credit is good you should be fine. I wasn't pre-approved and got the 0% 36mo. financing through them when I bought my truck in June 2018. No hassle of fuss.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your credit is good you should be fine. I wasn't pre-approved and got the 0% 36mo. financing through them when I bought my truck in June 2018. No hassle of fuss.
I was pre-approved for a ridiculous amount which I would never be able to afford on a monthly payment...so i think im safe to say would be good for Chrysler capital. Im hoping when it's closer for me to do something in the next couple of months (whether I'm getting something off the lot, or ordering) I should be able to get some rebates and incentives by going that route.

Used to own a Ram 1500, Current owner of a Dodge Charger scat pack

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Re
That is very likely what I'll end up doing. Dillon's inventory and pricing has been abysmal though, Koons added on the 1695 destination fee making their price not so 'wow'so might take a look at criswell. Another option I am contemplating is to get a relative new used f150 and trade it in next year or so
Recheck Koons. I balked last year at that delivery fee because it wasnt explained and then added onto the very bottom. As long as you know its going to be done then just compare final prices.
Also look at Lara RAM in the St Louis area.

MLMaxx

Reaction score
I was pre-approved for a ridiculous amount which I would never be able to afford on a monthly payment...so i think im safe to say would be good for Chrysler capital. Im hoping when it's closer for me to do something in the next couple of months (whether I'm getting something off the lot, or ordering) I should be able to get some rebates and incentives by going that route.

If you have decent credit get *at least* one additional loan in your pocket before you step foot in the dealership. Typically you can do inquiries for about 2 weeks where they'll only count once as a credit knock. This allows you to shop around for the best price and what works for you. Just because they pre-approved you for a high limit doesn't mean they aren't hosing you on the APR and that your dealership won't try to tack points on.

Here's how my recent purchase went:
- Talked to my 3 local dealerships on financing. "Best" offer was 0%/72, .9%/84 with no rebates, or 4.9%/72, 5.9%/84. (I'm looking at a longer term so I don't do something stupid like trade up in 3 years)
- I go out and secure better loan numbers independently. (PenFed and my own bank)
- I walk into the dealership and suddenly they can do 2.25%/75, or 1.99%/72 , kept all of the rebates and dealer coupons minus the $500 FCA financing rebate. All other numbers stayed locked.

Overall my total price paid will end up about $3k less by shopping around on rates.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have decent credit get *at least* one additional loan in your pocket before you step foot in the dealership. Typically you can do inquiries for about 2 weeks where they'll only count once as a credit knock. This allows you to shop around for the best price and what works for you. Just because they pre-approved you for a high limit doesn't mean they aren't hosing you on the APR and that your dealership won't try to tack points on.

Here's how my recent purchase went:
- Talked to my 3 local dealerships on financing. "Best" offer was 0%/72, .9%/84 with no rebates, or 4.9%/72, 5.9%/84. (I'm looking at a longer term so I don't do something stupid like trade up in 3 years)
- I go out and secure better loan numbers independently. (PenFed and my own bank)
- I walk into the dealership and suddenly they can do 2.25%/75, or 1.99%/72 , kept all of the rebates and dealer coupons minus the $500 FCA financing rebate. All other numbers stayed locked.

Overall my total price paid will end up about $3k less by shopping around on rates.
Gotcha...im just curious to know of anyone tried getting pre-approved with Chrysler first before walking into the dealer.

Knowing that your pre-approved by Chrysler for a rate (let's just throw something out like 1.99% apr) then go to the dealer, can you still get that $500 rebate.

SDRebel2021

Reaction score
Gotcha...im just curious to know of anyone tried getting pre-approved with Chrysler first before walking into the dealer.

Knowing that your pre-approved by Chrysler for a rate (let's just throw something out like 1.99% apr) then go to the dealer, can you still get that $500 rebate.

I don't think Chrysler will let you know the rate at which you're pre-approved - they'll just say you're pre-approved and ask you to visit your dealer for details. This gives dealers opportunities to hose you on the rate once you step on their lot.

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
I cant get anyone to give me anything off sticker (aside from the $1500 ram incentive) on a diesel rebel.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t let the Chrysler rate concern you. They’ll offer you some ridiculously high interest rate, but it really doesn’t matter as long as you have good enough credit to qualify elsewhere. They will always approve you and probably for far more than you should realistically be spending... but that’s on you. I got approved for 5.9%/72 mo with $500 rebate, or 0%/36 with no associated rebate. I took the $500 and 5.9%, bought the truck, then refinanced at 2.29%/72 with Navy Federal the next week, and they kicked me $200 for taking the loan with them.

You are absolutely not locked into the Chrysler loan. Don’t feel obligated to tell the finance guy your plan, just like they won’t feel obligated to tell you whether you’re at their best price, or not. The rates are absolutely inflated to get them kickbacks after the purchase. I’d be hard pressed to find any other bank who would offer a rate that high.

jm192

Reaction score
I keep meaning to ask, is there a military service requirement to by a BTS or can anyone buy it?

They'll sell it to anyone. As much as I love it, I feel like it kind of implies you served and someone is inevitably going to ask about your service. The Patriot blue one is I think the best looking truck I've seen, but I think I'll feel awkward when the service thing comes up. I'm extremely pro-military FWIW. Some of my best friends were marines in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They'll sell it to anyone. As much as I love it, I feel like it kind of implies you served and someone is inevitably going to ask about your service. The Patriot blue one is I think the best looking truck I've seen, but I think I'll feel awkward when the service thing comes up. I'm extremely pro-military FWIW. Some of my best friends were marines in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Go get you one. Having pride in your country and military is admirable!

I served one tour in Iraq many moons ago. That BTS is what originally sucked me into a Ram purchase, but I ended up with a Laramie due to options. At the time, only the Black was available locally... excited to finally see the new colors rolling out. They look fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread