5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Bwarren2

Reaction score
Bought mine here....

http://www.akinsford.com/new-ram-winder-ga?_gmod[0]=Dfe_Modules_VehiclePrice_Module&_gmod[1]=Dfe_Modules_CustomizePayment_Module&direction=asc&t=n&year[]=2019&make[]=Ram&sf=sf_year,sf_trim

$12k off MSRP on Big Horn, $10k off on Rebel, $9k off on Laramie. My Big Horn Crew with Black package was $46,400 MSRP. (They only had 11k off then, now it's 12k) Gave $35200 for the truck, and I had $1300 negative equity on trade, got out the door after taxes/fees for right at $38k

we live close to each other, Akins has always been good to deal with.

Boatjockey

Reaction score
Hahha. Well I did a few things that I think all made a difference:

- I made an email script
- Went to ramtrucks.com and filtered on all the local dealers within a 50 mile radius from my house that got a Customer First award and emailed them all.
- Was persistent and only communicated with email.
** 3/4s of the dealers didn't want to even talk to me unless I came in
** the remaining 1/4 played ball
- The dealer I ultimately went with took three rounds. By the second round I had them almost in the ball park of the final price. Then I looked up a similiar priced car listing on cars.com that was lower then there price and hung that over there head - they gave in and I won the third round :)

The funny thing is that I usually never get a local dealer (from the northeast) to give me remotely close to what I can get for offers out west. But this time I lucked out, not only was this a dealer that was literally down the road, but they were one of the best deals I got!

So true! I have the paperwork to prove it!
That is the way to do it. I used the same method emailing 15 dealers and 7 responded. Did second round with the seven and got even more of a discount.

Lights_out

Reaction score
we live close to each other, Akins has always been good to deal with.

I'm actually in North Alabama, but I'd gladly make that drive again. There are not many Big Horns with the black package out there in the first place and that's what I wanted so I didn't mind the distance.

It was probably the best experience I've had with a dealership. We made the deal over the phone, including my trade in. I took some pictures of it and sent it to them they took my word about the condition. I arrived, they inspected my car, signed papers and was out of there in about an hour. They were very easy to deal with.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score

glennf14

Reaction score
I am trying to find out ways to get more bonus cash, rebates, and incentives for RAM Purchase. Here is another one I found, I am not currently a Sam's member, but I might join for a month or two to get $500 dollars bonus cash :)

https://samsclub.truecar.com/targetedincentives/promolanding.html?makeGroup=chryslerGroup

ANyone that is a member, please try this and let me know if it works thank you!

@JRS200x, you may have answered this question before, but isn't there a limit when it comes to these bonus cash codes? For instance, you can't use your PenFed $1000 bonus cash in conjunction with the Sam's Club $500 bonus cash. Or your Sam's Club $500 bonus in conjunction with your $500 private cash email offer directly from RAM, etc., etc.

Mohab

Reaction score
What is the best trade in strategy? I have 2016 limited paid off and want to trade for 2019 limited, do I negotiate new price first the show the trade in or get the price of mine then negotiate the new one? Also I have hard time finding the options I want and I think I can get better price if I choose from the dealer lit rather than place order, I am just looking around the dealerships in my area ( mid Florida) and planning to trade on December since it is going to be the most discounts

KryptonMan

Reaction score
What is the best trade in strategy? I have 2016 limited paid off and want to trade for 2019 limited, do I negotiate new price first the show the trade in or get the price of mine then negotiate the new one? Also I have hard time finding the options I want and I think I can get better price if I choose from the dealer lit rather than place order, I am just looking around the dealerships in my area ( mid Florida) and planning to trade on December since it is going to be the most discounts

There are a few strategies I have used. Trade value/Selection seems to be the main hold up with me getting a new 2019 Laramie Sport for my 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost.

1) Always negotiate sales price of the vehicle 1st, don't let them get information about a trade or even think about your max monthly payment. Once you agree on the sales price of the vehicle, then discuss the value of the trade. Dealers use the NADA Dealers site which is separate from the NADA consumer site. Im not sure why this is the case but it is what its is. There is also the thinkbank.com black book which is a good reference for more up to date pricing information. If you have access to the NADA dealer site and can get a general idea of your trade prior to goin in there this will help. You can also get a another trade appraisal from another dealer just to have an idea. The deal I was working they told me they would beat any dealer trade by $250 so I go to Texas Direct , get a written appraisal, then when they low ball me on my trade by $3500. I pull out my offer sheet from Texas Direct and they gave me a line of bullsht saying that Texas Direct is a different market. This really pissed me off but I had to walk away from the deal.

2) the other tactic I have used in the past is knowing what the OTD price you are looking for based on what you want for your trade and the price you think you can get the new vehicle for, have an idea of taxes, fees, dealer add ons and just shoot them the final OTD price to cut the bs out of it.

In the end the dealer is there to make money usually this comes in the form of financing, extended warranty/maintenance, dealer adding like tint/nitrogen, or the trade value. Very rarely do they make more than the hold back on new vehicles.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We ordered our loaded Laramie LongHorn back in May, and we took delivery last night. Our deal was far from the most impressive in this thread, but we chose to work with a specific dealer based on reputation and location, and it was a relatively painless transaction.

The truck stickered just north of $70K. Our purchase price with incentives was 14% below MSRP, resulting in an out-the-door price that was 7% below MSRP. We used independent financing (3.24% for 60 mo), and we did not have a trade-in.

I just wanted to share some realistic numbers that (we think) were fair to us and to our dealer.

drsubie

Reaction score
There are a few strategies I have used. Trade value/Selection seems to be the main hold up with me getting a new 2019 Laramie Sport for my 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost.

1) Always negotiate sales price of the vehicle 1st, don't let them get information about a trade or even think about your max monthly payment. Once you agree on the sales price of the vehicle, then discuss the value of the trade. Dealers use the NADA Dealers site which is separate from the NADA consumer site. Im not sure why this is the case but it is what its is. There is also the thinkbank.com black book which is a good reference for more up to date pricing information. If you have access to the NADA dealer site and can get a general idea of your trade prior to goin in there this will help. You can also get a another trade appraisal from another dealer just to have an idea. The deal I was working they told me they would beat any dealer trade by $250 so I go to Texas Direct , get a written appraisal, then when they low ball me on my trade by $3500. I pull out my offer sheet from Texas Direct and they gave me a line of bullsht saying that Texas Direct is a different market. This really pissed me off but I had to walk away from the deal.

2) the other tactic I have used in the past is knowing what the OTD price you are looking for based on what you want for your trade and the price you think you can get the new vehicle for, have an idea of taxes, fees, dealer add ons and just shoot them the final OTD price to cut the bs out of it.

In the end the dealer is there to make money usually this comes in the form of financing, extended warranty/maintenance, dealer adding like tint/nitrogen, or the trade value. Very rarely do they make more than the hold back on new vehicles.

It's funny, I just traded in my heavily modified low mileage '13 F150 FX4 Screw Ecoboost for a '19 Limited short bed. Have yet to pick up the vehicle...

As far as negotiating tactic, I'm pretty firmly convinced that the dealer is going to sell you a vehicle at a certain price point on a given day. Kinda' like the "it's the end of the month and the police need to meet their quota on traffic tickets." This is all just my speculation.

I didn't qualify for any of the consumer rebates etc..., but if I did, it would just be the icing on the cake.

I've tried TrueCar, Costco buying service, etc... all of them did not give very good pricing. In fact, Costco seemed pretty bogus--you fill out the form, get a call from a "certified Costco dealership", then just get passed along to a regular salesman on the floor.

I used Dennis Dillon (and several other dealerships that freely advertised their aggressive pricing) to set the benchmark. I also peruse on Autotrader for new car pricing. Dennis Dillon was also able to give me a quote on my trade in, which bested NADA pricing.

I took this to my local dealer, and they pretty much matched it. If they didn't, and I couldn't find someone local who would, then I would have happily made the 14h round trip to Caldwell, ID where Dennis Dillon was...

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
It's funny, I just traded in my heavily modified low mileage '13 F150 FX4 Screw Ecoboost for a '19 Limited short bed. Have yet to pick up the vehicle...

As far as negotiating tactic, I'm pretty firmly convinced that the dealer is going to sell you a vehicle at a certain price point on a given day. Kinda' like the "it's the end of the month and the police need to meet their quota on traffic tickets." This is all just my speculation.

I didn't qualify for any of the consumer rebates etc..., but if I did, it would just be the icing on the cake.

I've tried TrueCar, Costco buying service, etc... all of them did not give very good pricing. In fact, Costco seemed pretty bogus--you fill out the form, get a call from a "certified Costco dealership", then just get passed along to a regular salesman on the floor.

I used Dennis Dillon (and several other dealerships that freely advertised their aggressive pricing) to set the benchmark. I also peruse on Autotrader for new car pricing. Dennis Dillon was also able to give me a quote on my trade in, which bested NADA pricing.

I took this to my local dealer, and they pretty much matched it. If they didn't, and I couldn't find someone local who would, then I would have happily made the 14h round trip to Caldwell, ID where Dennis Dillon was...
I tried getting in touch with Dennis Dillon this week - no email back from them. I tried using contact us form on their website on two separate occasions, crickets...

drsubie

Reaction score
I tried getting in touch with Dennis Dillon this week - no email back from them. I tried using contact us form on their website on two separate occasions, crickets...

Yeah, they must be super busy... the salesman who got back to me also took a few days to respond, but he did eventually. It was Terry Jensen [email protected]

I did actually phone call him after the initial email to make sure they knew I was serious on buying/ordering.

I imagine that they get a LOT of window-shopping inquiries, just based on their aggressive advertised pricing... and good for them--the days of shopping for a car is rapidly changing, and the consumer (us) are much more knowledgeable thanks to forums and threads like this one!

Boatjockey

Reaction score
I found that there was a $1000 conquest cash for competing truck owners and $500 conquest cash for any non-FCA vehicle owner. It was due to expire 10/01/18. The dealer claims that only the truck offer shows up in his computer but I lknow I saw the $500 conquest cash for any non-FCA vehicle. Any help with locating this deal would be appreciated. I can't find it on Ram website anymore.

Boatjockey

Reaction score
Final numbers worked out with the sales manager today.

MSRP: $69,845
Dealer discount: $11,164 ( 16% )
Limited customer cash: $1500
Ram coupon: $500
Final price: $56,681 (Just a tiny bit shy of 19%)

Picking it up in the morning.

drsubie

Reaction score

damn, that's a great price...congrats!

Mohab

Reaction score

What dealer is that ?

danhshopper

Reaction score
I am trying to find out ways to get more bonus cash, rebates, and incentives for RAM Purchase. Here is another one I found, I am not currently a Sam's member, but I might join for a month or two to get $500 dollars bonus cash :)

https://samsclub.truecar.com/targetedincentives/promolanding.html?makeGroup=chryslerGroup

ANyone that is a member, please try this and let me know if it works thank you!
I'm Sam's member and I can see the $500 code, thanks man! Now the question is if they'll stack with PenFed $1000 as other members concerned about.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score

nice job!

kel

Reaction score

That price for the truck in your sig? You didn't finalize the price before it was delivered?

Users who are viewing this thread