5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

DinkyMcStinky

Reaction score
I'm still lurking in the STL area as well. Another member had a really good experience with South County Dodge Chrysler Jeep RAM a few months ago. From what he told me, although they weren't the cheapest, they were very easy and transparent with everything. No add-ons or mark-ups. He only had to sit through 3 mins for an up-sell on an extended warranty which was easily declined. He didn't mention a trade-in tho.

Has anyone worked with Sam Leman dealer that looks like a volume dealer north of Springfield, IL (in Morton, IL)? They have a couple trucks that I'm looking at that I would consider travelling there if they are worth dealing with.

I've been in contact with them, they are ok... Not that transparent when it comes to dealer discount/incentives, they lump everything into one group.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Is there a way to check how much inventory is being moved in your area or is that a closely guarded industry secret? I remember back when true car was true car you could see what sold and for how much but it doesn't give that info anymore. Curious if there's something like that still available so you can see the data for yourself

I have been and still currently monitoring this thread. When someone post about dealers in other states I will usually check their web page and they have less than 20 trucks in stock.

A quick search at 2 local places and they have 70+ and 80+ 1500s in stock.

I really don't believe much inventory is being moved here.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Ok fellas, decent deal in your opinion? 2020 Laramie, level 1, sunroof, anti spin diff, sport package 4x4, trailer brake. MSRP is $57,823 and they are offering $46,062. Approximately a 20.3% discount. Trade was a little low, but they offered to throw in all weather floor mats. Guy said even if the incentives increase next month, they'd adjust their discount so there would not be much of a difference.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ok fellas, decent deal in your opinion? 2020 Laramie, level 1, sunroof, anti spin diff, sport package 4x4, trailer brake. MSRP is $57,823 and they are offering $46,062. Approximately a 20.3% discount. Trade was a little low, but they offered to throw in all weather floor mats. Guy said even if the incentives increase next month, they'd adjust their discount so there would not be much of a difference.
That seems like a very nice discount.

Venom700

Reaction score
Wait, they are trying to verbally tell you they are giving a price guarantee? I’d be super weary of that. Plus a dealer discount is a dealer discount. Sounds like they are just saying you can negotiate lower or walk.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Nit
Wait, they are trying to verbally tell you they are giving a price guarantee? I’d be super weary of that. Plus a dealer discount is a dealer discount. Sounds like they are just saying you can negotiate lower or walk.

Not sure I'm tracking. I told him what truck he wanted and after he did his thing, he told me what they'd sell the truck for ($46,062). That amount does not include my trade. Salesman was saying that $46,062 number won't change too much, month to month as if FCA increases incentives, they will simply adjust their dealer discount. He said the only time prices would be lower would be December (which is accurate based on all the purchases in this thread).

JKlem

Reaction score
I have yet to meet a car/truck sales person who recommends buying at a later time.
No matter when you show up, that is always the best time to buy.
Seriously. Agreed. I LOL when someone posts “the salesman said incentives won’t be as good next month. He seemed to know what he was talking about and was super nice.”

Jtholla

Reaction score
The amount the manufacturer is willing to rebate should have zero bearing on their dealer discount. The rebate is just more discount that doesnt cost the dealer anything. Sounds like he just wants to close the deal. If you feel like you want to wait for a larger rebate it shouldnt affect the deal except that unit may get sold. Imo from what we have seen lately it's not a bad deal as is.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
I agree to a certain extent but some dealers just are what they are. That is, some won't negotiate price nor trade, some will low ball trade and negotiate price, some will negotiate price but not trade, etc. etc., And everything else in between. At the end of the day, if we want a truck we will have to pay some sort of money for it...all of these salesman are in it for themselves and to make money, not to make sure we get the best deal. It is what it is, unfortunately. Dealing with a car salesman is akin to going to the dentist to get a filling. It sucks but you have to do it if you don't want a jacked up grill, or in our case, a new truck.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Factories are NOT up and running. Tentative start date for the Big Three automakers is Monday, but I don't think the UAW has signed off on that yet. Hopefully soon. Supply is dwindling and don't think there will be any big incentives until there is excess inventory.
I think the Nazi in the MI governor's office is more of an issue than the UAW.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
I want to reiterate something I said here a few weeks or so back.

If you are not buying because you have an immediate need, you should wait a few months.

There is so much bizarre right now. Dealers are actually busy - people are scared ****less about public transport and are buying cars. All that stimulus money and low interest rates plus dealers working without forcing people to dealerships are actually keeping them busy.

The lockups affected the used car auctions and there is no price discovery on used cars. This may be starting to change but it was a mess as of a couple weeks back.

Dealers are getting small business loans, they are operating with lower staff since lots got let go before the loans were approved, and they’re not overcommitted on new inventory en route from the factory (well maybe not so much for Nissan).

Meanwhile, back in reality, we have historic unemployment and the impacts of this are only starting to be felt via loan losses, personal and commercial bankruptcy, and deflation in wages for white collar earners.

If you can hang out until the fall, after the factories have been humming a few months, the deals should be once in a lifetime epic.

AngryBish

Reaction score
I want to reiterate something I said here a few weeks or so back.

If you are not buying because you have an immediate need, you should wait a few months.

There is so much bizarre right now. Dealers are actually busy - people are scared ****less about public transport and are buying cars. All that stimulus money and low interest rates plus dealers working without forcing people to dealerships are actually keeping them busy.

The lockups affected the used car auctions and there is no price discovery on used cars. This may be starting to change but it was a mess as of a couple weeks back.

Dealers are getting small business loans, they are operating with lower staff since lots got let go before the loans were approved, and they’re not overcommitted on new inventory en route from the factory (well maybe not so much for Nissan).

Meanwhile, back in reality, we have historic unemployment and the impacts of this are only starting to be felt via loan losses, personal and commercial bankruptcy, and deflation in wages for white collar earners.

If you can hang out until the fall, after the factories have been humming a few months, the deals should be once in a lifetime epic.

Obviously nobody knows what incentives/rebates will be like. But what do you speculate will be happening?

I am in need of a new truck (before winter) my transfer case failed on my 2007. I don’t know when will be the best time to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Obviously nobody knows what incentives/rebates will be like. But what do you speculate will be happening?

I am in need of a new truck (before winter) my transfer case failed on my 2007. I don’t know when will be the best time to buy.

Car/Truck sales are down what, 70-80%?
My speculation is that many people will take 1,2 or even 3 months to recover financially once ALL businesses are back up.
Meanwhile, the factories will be in full production generating vehicles during this time causing a backlog of new trucks.
In order to move them, huge incentives should be available with a really nice selection of vehicles.

That is my speculation and also why I am NOT retired making millions off the stock market.

Kaag

Reaction score
Has it been confirmed that the factories will even be starting at full production? I could see a start where they are maybe at half production for a while.

Tcanderson20

Reaction score
Has it been confirmed that the factories will even be starting at full production? I could see a start where they are maybe at half production for a while.
They’re starting at 25% production with one shift

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I think many of us thought that this shutdown and job loss would create a glut of new cars on dealers lot thus motivating them to sell and the factory to offer incentives. A few thought the opposite, that the factories being shut down, that dealers would be concerned about replenishing inventory and thusly not dealing much on what they had and the same with the factory; those people were right.

SOME people still needed vehicles and were still keeping dealer operational, not busy but selling cars. People (like myself and others here) that could wait, were educated buyers and knew these prices weren't that great have sat on the sidelines watching.

My opinion at this point is that when the factories re-start production and lots start to get full again, the factories and dealers are going to need to do something to lure people that are not buying out of necessity back in.
Now, I could be completely wrong and they could look at it like this, we sold cars during the shut down without incentives or dealing much so we can keep on keeping without offers or incentives and not deal on the price. I think that may work on some of the lower trims trucks, Laramies/Bighorn ect but not on higher trim Limiteds and Longhorns, those are not moving and you can see it on cargurus. I don't really see that as a possibility but I do see them going thru May, possibly June with that mindset.

Me, I found what everyone has said was a great deal before this started but the truck wasn't 100% what I wanted and the same trucks I was looking at pre-shutdown are still there now, $65K MSRP Limiteds and LongHorns. These trucks have been on the dealers lots for 200+ days so they are selling, at all.
I am actually trying to hold out for a Limited configured as I've found but with a MFT and I believe that truck is either yet to be built or sitting in a railyard so I can wait. I also believe, at least in my case, MFT's will be more common on higher trims as the factories resume operations this summer just like ETorque has become (barely saw them late last year but this spring, they were everywhere) which gives me more reason to wait potentially for a 2021 model.

Once the people who "had to have a vehicle" have dried up, they are going to have to bring back incentives to attract educated buyers, they are going to have to bring back incentives for me to buy or I just flat wont do it as I don't need to. I can keep driving my current truck and refocus on a RedEye. Those prices (Redeyes) have not changed through this nor do I expect them to so that's an easier decision.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
For those that have purchased a ram recently, have great credit, and financed through FCA just for the sake of incentives knowing you'd refinance with a local credit union, etc....what rate did you get and how long did you wait to refinance? I spoke with my local CU and they said they are backlogged and it would take 2 weeks for a refinance. It's my understanding I don't have to wait a certain amount of months to refinance; the only reason to wait is so the dealer gets a kickback, which I could care less about :)

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that have purchased a ram recently, have great credit, and financed through FCA just for the sake of incentives knowing you'd refinance with a local credit union, etc....what rate did you get and how long did you wait to refinance? I spoke with my local CU and they said they are backlogged and it would take 2 weeks for a refinance. It's my understanding I don't have to wait a certain amount of months to refinance; the only reason to wait is so the dealer gets a kickback, which I could care less about :)

2.29% for 72mo thru NavyFederal, If you qualify.

Users who are viewing this thread