5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Jay0201

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am trying to finance my first Ram truck, I am looking at 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 with the built to serve package. I am interested in taking advantage of the 0%/84months. MSRP is 55k dealer is only discounting 5k I think this is too little discount off MSRP. I'm located in Southern California. I appreciate any advice or where I should be in terms of discount on this truck. Thank you

ktl5005

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am trying to finance my first Ram truck, I am looking at 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 with the built to serve package. I am interested in taking advantage of the 0%/84months. MSRP is 55k dealer is only discounting 5k I think this is too little discount off MSRP. I'm located in Southern California. I appreciate any advice or where I should be in terms of discount on this truck. Thank you
Nope, that's about it. You take the 0/84, you aren't going to get factory incentives and are at the Mercy of the dealership.

Maybe one day, the more the stay closed, they will offer both together, but not right now.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

10% discount is about the normal starting part for a “good” deal. There’s a lot of factors that come into overall price paid right, trade value and dealer add ons or dealer fees or any kind are the two big ones.

for example, a 15% dealer discount with 1500 dollar dealer add ons/fees isn’t really a 15% discount. I mean maybe you are getting some add ons you want but more than likely they charged you 100 dollars for nitrogen tires and other misc bs.

Assuming you have no trade, you should be looking at least 13% on a bighorn, 55k MSRP means you have most the options (more discount available). I’d push for 14-15%. $7700-8250 plus 0% 84. And no high cost fees. I usually don’t argue with them on the doc fee, assuming it’s reasonable. But no 1500 dollar add on nonsense.

some people are going to tell you to push for more, I don’t see it happening. But that’s just my two cents.

im just winging the math, but if you save 4500 In interest, 7500 dealer discount, Thats 12k total. So realistically your total % is around 22%. About as good as it gets without big incentives, IMO.

you might be able to pick up a bighorn for 25-30% off soon though, with your own financing. (Or at least not 0% promotion). I suspect they will toss out some large cash rebates once the economy stabilizes a bit. I don’t see how they can’t, but the timing is unknown. Could be months away

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s a good example, I just got this earlier this week. Almaot 15% dealer discount and then the 4K rebate (this is a 2019 2500). Then check out the add ons. 799 lux package? 400 dollar tint!!!
Heh.

and the trade.... been averaging 37-38, with some as high as 40k. So they ran up the dealer discount, tossed in 1200 in add ons that probably cost 500 nor do I want them, and then Hit the trade 4-5k low. That’s an AWFUL deal.

I got another bid on basically the same truck at a near by dealership, MORE dealer discount 16%, MORE trade 37k, and only 399 doc fee.

it’s 4K dollars less than this one, and all I did was send a text about it. don’t let these clowns take advantage of you.

Attachments

• 00D13218-F91B-4129-80B9-D884042C13CA.jpeg
    00D13218-F91B-4129-80B9-D884042C13CA.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 64

RamFan2020

Reaction score
New incentive code? I have been tracking a truck I am interested in at a local dealer and just saw a new incentive appear. This was not listed earlier in rhe week, it just appeared yesterday:

IN SPECIFIC SELECT INVENTORY BONUS CASH (43CK1E)*
Effective Dates: 2020-04-01 - 2020-04-14
$2,000

Incentive Details
Group Affiliation: No Specific Group Affiliation
Prev. Ownership: No Previous Ownership Requirement
The vehicle must have the sales code of 49B to be eligible for the program based on the body model.

Is anyone familiar with the details on this incentive?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those of you considering the 0% for 84 in lieu of the rebates, please take a look at other financing information options. I accepted $7k in rebates and was able to achieve a 2.29% rate at NavyFederal this week. My total finance charge is around $1500 over the entire loan term. Losing those $7k in rebates for 0% financing would have been a terrible deal in my scenario. Your scenario may vary, but it’s worth running your own numbers.

Also, my dealer discount was 14% after I subtracted the insanely high dealer adds. I felt like I worked extremely hard with a lot of dealers to find that discount, I know all of my other dealer contacts wouldn’t match it. It’s a good data point, but I wouldn’t balk at a deal with only 12-13% off dealer discount (after fees) depending on trim level.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New incentive code? I have been tracking a truck I am interested in at a local dealer and just saw a new incentive appear. This was not listed earlier in rhe week, it just appeared yesterday:

$2,000

Incentive Details
The vehicle must have the sales code of 49B to be eligible for the program based on the body model.

What is 49B?

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score

$2,000

Incentive Details

Some of the incentives end on April 14th. Like many must be, I'm wondering what will be extended or if new ones will rolled out on 4/15.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m curious what 49B is also, I just tried to look and can’t find anything on the internet about what it means.

mswain21

Reaction score
The best dealer discount I was able to find from 7-8 dealerships in California was dealer invoice minus all hold-backs. For example: Take the MSRP subtract the destination charge and take 3% of that number= hold-backs. ($55,000-1695*0.03= $1,599). Ask for the dealer invoice price and minus $1,599, that is a good purchase price when using the 0% for 84 months. IF you are ELIGIBLE for a lot of manufacture rebates... you need to do the math to see what the total cost is after interest.

In my example... I would had to have received $5,850 in rebates to breakeven on the total cost after 72 months with a Credit Union. Even in that case... I still would have had a larger monthly payment due to the 72 months. I went with the 0% 84 months. I was only eligible for $4,500 in rebates at that time.

Attachments

• breakeven numbers.png
    breakeven numbers.png
    716.7 KB · Views: 68

chrisnack

Reaction score
I bought my LImited MSRP of $66k about 2 months ago. At that time I averaged all the prices from all the dealers within 150 miles into an excel spreadsheet. The avg discount was $14k off MSRP.

Don't bother with invoice price, it's not that low, you can get it far below invoice cost. I have friends and family discount and get preferred pricing, the dealer discounts and rebates were well below the PP.

But as others have stated, don't expect that level of discounting with 84 months, and honestly other than the 0%, financially you generally should not be doing an 84 month loan on a truck. You will never break even if you plan to sell or trade it in within the next 5-8 years. If you are gonna keep it forever, then sure. But taking the 0% and then making more than the minimum payment would be ideal. But do whatever works best for you.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so I had my dealer look up the 49B thing, one truck came up 1400 miles out lol. And he couldn’t tell what it even was. So I’d probably just forget about that one haha.

JKlem

Reaction score
You need to work the dealers. Most are desperate right now. They’ll do 0 for 84% with most of the incentives is my guess. You just need to be willing to shop around and walk from anything less.

jwtiger69

Reaction score
All dealerships I am talking to right now are offering 5-6k off msrp. I offered 8-10 and no one is budging. I don’t want to look at the other rebates until I get a truck down as low as I can. Hopefully next months deals are better or dealers start offering more off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbdan

Reaction score
Pretty much what I'm experiencing across the board. Although I have 4 more dealerships to visit. Patience...Been to 3 so far. They're all in cahoots I say! :cool:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You need to work the dealers. Most are desperate right now. They’ll do 0 for 84% with most of the incentives is my guess. You just need to be willing to shop around and walk from anything less.

I disagree, I've been working dealers nationwide for a month now, take the 0/84 and you're not getting factory rebates/incentives. The 10% dealer discount others have mentioned is the most I've seen with no factory incentives included

PhatHalpert

Reaction score
Definitely wrong. One or the other. How much a dealer will discount is a whole other topic, but you're not getting the rebates + 0%/84mo.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I returned my first truck due to a rust issue.
I was able to get a Pearl White Night Edition Laramie MSRP $59k for $43k.

27.11% off of MSRP.

Nice work, let’s see some pics! I had a hard time finding a night edition. Loved the looks from the website tho

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I got this email today, drove to dealer, and they told me it was fake. Not real. Some third party they deal with sent it out. I’m now wondering if this was leaked or if they were just idiots.

Attachments

• 433A3786-E4A5-408D-AF14-CE572A36AB1D.png
    433A3786-E4A5-408D-AF14-CE572A36AB1D.png
    288.2 KB · Views: 135

Users who are viewing this thread