5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any incentives on top or does it replace them?

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

It replaces them. I think you are going to be hard pressed to see a huge cash amount on top of financing even now. But more likely you might see big 10-20% rebates, bring your own finances. And dealers getting serious on their end with 13-15% discounts.

Vols1018

Reaction score
Working from home is killing e and I need a little brain exercise. ( I hope my math is correct on this..)

I am looking at 20 D.T. Limited. 5.7L non-E-Torque, 4x4 with Lvl 1, sunroof, 33 gal, 3.92 gear, 20 inch wheels, Ram Box. Stickers for $68660.00. Assuming that I can get 14% off of MSRP and $5000 of factory rebates.

$68660 x.14-$5000 = $54047. With 1.0725 % local sales tax and $500 for fees = $58446.
If the interest rate is at 3% and 60 months loan. Total cost of the loan is $63012.
If the interest rate is at 5% and 60 months loan. Total cost $66777, and 84 months is $69390.
Now, if I were to take advantage of the zero percent interest and forgo the $5k factory rebate. Kept the 14% off MSRP, the sales amount with taxes and fees is $63828.
Sooo.... If you can get a 3 percent or better interest, then go with rebate, but you have 600 credit or worse you are better off with the zero percent interest.
Hope this makes sense and helps.
If you have 600 or anywhere close then you aren't even qualifying for anything near 0%

Gitter

Reaction score
Keep in mind that car loans are in simple interest loans. The interest amount is added to the loan amount and entirety is divided into monthly payments. So, no matter how much you pay, there is no shift between interest and principal. You are thinking of amortized loan (house mortgage). Majority of the payments in front half of the loan goes toward interest. Any extra payments you make, you can request it be applied toward principal and overtime, you will pay less in interest.
Regarding being upside down on the loan, the only way to prevent it is to pay large amount of down payment, around 20% to stay ahead of depreciation.

Here is a breakdown of a monthly payment on an auto loan. The monthly payment remains the same ($563.94), but the total going to principle is less in the earlier payments:
Monthly Auto Payments.png

As I said, you are not paying down the principle as fast in the early months of the loan and that is something to consider...

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well with Conneticut (I think it was Ct) just closing all “non-essential business” effective this Monday, of which car dealers were on the list, unless you order online it might be harder to actually buy one. NJis closing businesses as well, though I‘m not sure if car dealers are affected.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Looks like Ram is following suit from GM; 0% financing through Chrysler capital for 84 months on 2019 and 2020 Rams as well as deferred payment for 90 days. I'd be willing to bet incentives will be even better next month at the tail end of this virus as the dealerships will be hurting (despite "experts" saying more sales will be accomplished virtually).

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Left ford dealer today, almost bought a king ranch lol. Still might. They were REAL aggressive. 41k trade offer on my truck which has been around 38 previously. 19% off the truck with 0%. It’s a 2019 though, which ford doesn’t have many left. Their 2020 deals aren’t good yet.

hmcbean

Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m looking at picking up a Laramie tomorrow and I am wondering what kind of interest rates I’ll be offered with a 700 equifax Auto credit score. They have offered me $7500 for my trade and I’ll be putting down an additional $2;500. Thanks in advance

Roddog2220

Reaction score
Looks like Ram is following suit from GM; 0% financing through Chrysler capital for 84 months on 2019 and 2020 Rams as well as deferred payment for 90 days. I'd be willing to bet incentives will be even better next month at the tail end of this virus as the dealerships will be hurting (despite "experts" saying more sales will be accomplished virtually).

talked to several dealers today saying they were busy, i was born at night but not last night

Roddog2220

Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m looking at picking up a Laramie tomorrow and I am wondering what kind of interest rates I’ll be offered with a 700 equifax Auto credit score. They have offered me $7500 for my trade and I’ll be putting down an additional $2;500. Thanks in advance

what you put down doesnt have much to do with your rate but payment for sure, rates are fluxing daily, make sure they shop around and mention truth in lending which means they have to give you the best rate, how long you looking to finance? that will change the rate as well

srh545

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm looking to pick up a 2020 Laramie Night Edition in Cleveland, OH and I was told by 2 different dealers that if I took 0% @ 84 mos. i sacrifice all incentives and they would not sell below MSRP but if I wanted to get my own financing (rate around 5%) we could negotiate price. Does this sound right to anyone? Thanks!

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm looking to pick up a 2020 Laramie Night Edition in Cleveland, OH and I was told by 2 different dealers that if I took 0% @ 84 mos. i sacrifice all incentives and they would not sell below MSRP but if I wanted to get my own financing (rate around 5%) we could negotiate price. Does this sound right to anyone? Thanks!
Shop around. No reason they shouldn't give some dealer discount even with 0%. You will give up all FCA incentives though.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

well, the rebate part is true. But you can still get a dealer discount from around 10-15%. So NO, do not pay anywhere near MSRP even with the 0%.

srh545

Reaction score
So let me ask the group this: If you are in a negative equity situation with a trade in, the dealership will roll that into the cost of the vehicle of which you will pay taxes on. If you have a down payment does it make more sense to pay down the debt on the car to reduce the negative being rolled into the deal structure?

Thanks!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My dealer discount was $11k off MSRP, not including incentives. You should be able to get some large discounts, but time may be running out. My area dealerships are going on 30day lockdown starting Tuesday... and I know other areas are experiencing the same.

Know that you can also refinance after purchase. J got a 5.99% thru Chrysler last month, and took it to get the attached incentives. I refinanced within 2wks for 2.99% thru USAA. Still not 0%, but far better than losing all of the incentives, in my scenario.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So let me ask the group this: If you are in a negative equity situation with a trade in, the dealership will roll that into the cost of the vehicle of which you will pay taxes on. If you have a down payment does it make more sense to pay down the debt on the car to reduce the negative being rolled into the deal structure?

Thanks!

most states allow you to only pay the taxes on the trade difference, like 50k - 30k trade = 20k difference. So you pay the taxes on 20k not the full 50.

you will obviously pay interest on the rollover though and that’s really the worst part. So zero percent deal might be more appealing for you. you’d have to check the numbers, rates are so low right now for people with good credit that still might be smarter to take the cash rebate even when the Negative equity.

in most cases what you said is probably true, making a down payment to offset the negative equity. However, where I would play devils advocate is that with rates being so low and/or 0%, there could be a better use for that money. A car loan is basically the best way to finance money. A credit card is 12% or worse usually, a personal loan is 6%+, a mortgage is insane (Home equity loans people love), and so forth.

if you have no other use for the money, and you have no other debts with higher rates, pay the down payment. But if there’s something else you want to finance in your life, new roof or dental braces or literally anything then you might be better off just keeping the cash.

im Not implying that rolling negative equity is a good idea, just provoking thought past the immediate 6” view most people have.

if you look at a normal loan, say 3.5% at 72 months, and added 10k in negative equity, it’s going to cost you about 1100 in interest over the Life of the loan. If you put 10k on a credit card or something, you will more than likely pay more than that (depending on your payments).

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Shop around. No reason they shouldn't give some dealer discount even with 0%. You will give up all FCA incentives though.
When I was in the dealer a few weeks ago, I could have forgone about $1k in rebates to utilize 0% on 36 months (2020 1500), so I would not have lost all incentives.

I think it's not a bad idea to wait a little bit longer for a vehicle as prices are only going to get better in the coming weeks/next month.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was in the dealer a few weeks ago, I could have forgone about $1k in rebates to utilize 0% on 36 months (2020 1500), so I would not have lost all incentives.

each promotion is different, they generally allow a small cash rebate with the lower month financing. There is no cash rebate on 84 month financing for the rest of this month. The only thing that will stack with it is military and a few of the other one off conditional things they have.

ktl5005

Reaction score
The 0% for 84 nukes all incentives. As I said earlier, if they decide to keep the incentives with the 0% I'd be down to my local dealership to buy their fully loaded Laramie.

ktl5005

Reaction score

Thanks!

If there is a negative equity situation, the best option is keep the vehicle. All you are doing is rolling it over into your loan, and getting yourself deeper into debt and have more negative equity on the new one. Lots of people do it but it is a stupid decision financially.

Users who are viewing this thread