5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Kornfrk2727

Reaction score
Nice! Do you happen to know if yours was a 15% rebate or 20% rebate? Looks like you got 29% off. I'm trying to figure out how much dealer discount I can ask for in addition to the rebate.
Same here. I have a quote for 15% rebate but only 8% dealer discount. Not sure how much more to ask for off.

Zuck7787

Reaction score
Just purchased a Big Horn 5.7 4x4 in Minnesota.

MSRP: $51,635
Purchase Price (before TTL): $33,880
34% off of MSRP.

Thoughts?
Where in minnesota? I’m currently talking with the internet sales manager from Luther auto group. I live in Jersey, so he’s trying to work a deal for a 2019 Laramie 4x4 for me. But the deal seems almost too good to be true. And ya know what they say about that. Retail is about 62 and internet pricing shows 44. Hoping to get them to about 42

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Anyone here with success on deals in Northern California? I see some decent prices on the dealer internet ads and am wondering if they're is even more room to bring those prices even lower. I'm not the best at finding the sweet spot of negotiating.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Anyone here with success on deals in Northern California? I see some decent prices on the dealer internet ads and am wondering if they're is even more room to bring those prices even lower. I'm not the best at finding the sweet spot of negotiating.

"Negotiating" has really never been easier since June the 4th (until AT LEAST July 1st) because UNLESS you are wanting a deal that leaves the dealer "breaking even", (or the deal i usually go for) "losing the dealer money" : ), ONCE they apply the CURRENT rebates, even if they are ONLY SLIGHTLY discounting the truck, you're still looking at a really GREAT price.

But honestly as the poster said above, "right now it is a seller's market" and its doubtful you will find ANY deal like i described above. I'd take an add'l $3000 off what he FIRST presents you with (as long as it includes the 15%) and meet somewhere in the middle.

Just make sure it has every single thing you are wanting. I did not, and after 6 months i traded out of my 2019 Lonestar right back into THE SAME TRUCK but with everything i SHOULD have gotten in the first place (and due to these incredible incentives, my trade took a HUGE HIT).

In the end if your truck is "your ultimate", paying 56 vs 53 (as an example) will NOT matter in a few days, but forgoing a "serious option" (like Nav/LED's/wrong gear ratio/level group/etc) just to get a "better deal on one not equipped with something you THINK might not matter right now") will HAUNT you. ('Specially IF you hang out with THIS BUNCH : )

Last edited:

unc22x

Reaction score
Where in minnesota? I’m currently talking with the internet sales manager from Luther auto group. I live in Jersey, so he’s trying to work a deal for a 2019 Laramie 4x4 for me. But the deal seems almost too good to be true. And ya know what they say about that. Retail is about 62 and internet pricing shows 44. Hoping to get them to about 42

Jeff Belzer in Lakeville.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Got mine yesterday, Limited 4 X 4 sticker 62,610----46,774 before TTT, TOTAL OTD 48,365,85.

It had V8, no e torque, 20 inch wheels (did not want 22) 3.21, bed step, TBC, Adv. safety group, Delmonico red and most importantly NO moonroof. That's hard to find in a limited. Just applied for my Allstate $ 250.00 rebate.

At least I'll now save 1 hour a day computer time searching !

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
"Negotiating" has really never been easier since June the 4th (until AT LEAST July 1st) because UNLESS you are wanting a deal that leaves the dealer "breaking even", (or the deal i usually go for) "losing the dealer money" : ), ONCE they apply the CURRENT rebates, even if they are ONLY SLIGHTLY discounting the truck, you're still looking at a really GREAT price.

But honestly as the poster said above, "right now it is a seller's market" and its doubtful you will find ANY deal like i described above. I'd take an add'l $3000 off what he FIRST presents you with (as long as it includes the 15%) and meet somewhere in the middle.

Just make sure it has every single thing you are wanting. I did not, and after 6 months i traded out of my 2019 Lonestar right back into THE SAME TRUCK but with everything i SHOULD have gotten in the first place (and due to these incredible incentives, my trade took a HUGE HIT).

In the end if your truck is "your ultimate", paying 56 vs 53 (as an example) will NOT matter in a few days, but forgoing a "serious option" (like Nav/LED's/wrong gear ratio/level group/etc) just to get a "better deal on one not equipped with something you THINK might not matter right now") will HAUNT you. ('Specially IF you hang out with THIS BUNCH : )
Agree. Even though I paid more than I should have had I waited, I got most all I wanted out of a truck vs. taking just what was there for the “deal”. There’s always options or packages that you aren't aware of (as far as what they may be like) but the basics like gearing, colors, advanced safety, NAV or sound system, anti-slip or e-lock, e torque or not, tow group, ORG, leather or not, 26 vs 33 gallon, thats what you need to be looking for.

bigwidge

Reaction score
Can anyone explain how the process of the Build & Price on Ram's website works? Do they shop dealers to find one in that spec, or do they essentially build the truck specifically for you? The reason I ask is I'm looking for what seems to be a rare color/option combo (Rugged Brown crew with a 12" screen and middle console, but bare minimum thrills beyond that). Been searching for 3 weeks or so now, with no luck.

Sorry if this has been answered, I did a search on these forums and didn't find anything.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Can anyone explain how the process of the Build & Price on Ram's website works? Do they shop dealers to find one in that spec, or do they essentially build the truck specifically for you? The reason I ask is I'm looking for what seems to be a rare color/option combo (Rugged Brown crew with a 12" screen and middle console, but bare minimum thrills beyond that). Been searching for 3 weeks or so now, with no luck.

Sorry if this has been answered, I did a search on these forums and didn't find anything.

In the configurator you have the ability to create the truck you want, then you can check inventory at various dealers in your area to see if they have what you want on the lot. If you don't find what you want in your area, you have the ability to change the zip code and/or widen your search a further distance from you based on your zip.

thermorex

Reaction score
Some great posts here with great negotiating tips. I got a Rebel non e-torque for 42600 from almost 57K. Dealer accepted 10K on credit card down payment (great for me for miles). To me was a good deal, although not the best ever. Important is to be happy with it overall. Some dealers don't want large credit card payments due to credit card charged commission (they don't want to loose a dime). Some try giving you a higher APR on the loan, if you finance. Like they drop the truck price but give you a higher APR so they get back some through commission from the bank they work with. So it is always a good idea to shop around for some financing, so at least you know how high the APR is in relation to the credit score. Most sales reps I've seen are playing with the monthly payment, trying to convince you it is low, but when you do the math you end up paying more than you'd probably be comfortable with.

I never order a truck through website configurator. I look for "must have" and then "nice to have" and then make up my mind in relation with the dealer stock since it is easier to convince the dealer to drop the price more on a vehicle he has on stock. Another trick some dealers do is posting the MSRP then the discount which is the sum of all possible FCA discounts (like military + police + firefighter + area discounts (like great Lakes) + etc) - and nobody can ever get them all, this making the "sales price" quite low, so they get you in the door.

Typically, I start by presenting a low price and asking politely if they can meet it. If they start talking and I feel we can get a deal from the first 5 minutes I continue the negotiation, otherwise I respectfully thank them for their time and leave. If they are serious in closing the deal, they will try to prevent you from leaving.

Big Bert

Reaction score
Just a 19 rebel with an MSRP of 55430 for 40900 +ttl and they didn’t charge me a doc fee or any other fees besides ttl this is in arizona best of luck to you all!
Nice deal....
Some great posts here with great negotiating tips. I got a Rebel non e-torque for 42600 from almost 57K. Dealer accepted 10K on credit card down payment (great for me for miles). To me was a good deal, although not the best ever. Important is to be happy with it overall. Some dealers don't want large credit card payments due to credit card charged commission (they don't want to loose a dime). Some try giving you a higher APR on the loan, if you finance. Like they drop the truck price but give you a higher APR so they get back some through commission from the bank they work with. So it is always a good idea to shop around for some financing, so at least you know how high the APR is in relation to the credit score. Most sales reps I've seen are playing with the monthly payment, trying to convince you it is low, but when you do the math you end up paying more than you'd probably be comfortable with.

I never order a truck through website configurator. I look for "must have" and then "nice to have" and then make up my mind in relation with the dealer stock since it is easier to convince the dealer to drop the price more on a vehicle he has on stock. Another trick some dealers do is posting the MSRP then the discount which is the sum of all possible FCA discounts (like military + police + firefighter + area discounts (like great Lakes) + etc) - and nobody can ever get them all, this making the "sales price" quite low, so they get you in the door.

Typically, I start by presenting a low price and asking politely if they can meet it. If they start talking and I feel we can get a deal from the first 5 minutes I continue the negotiation, otherwise I respectfully thank them for their time and leave. If they are serious in closing the deal, they will try to prevent you from leaving.
Nice deal...

I was close just before I went to the dealer he raised the price $3500....and won't honor the early price.....

Keep on fighting...

thermorex

Reaction score
Nice deal....

Nice deal...

I was close just before I went to the dealer he raised the price $3500....and won't honor the early price.....

Keep on fighting...

Some sales reps "smell" if you're interested and try to highjack the price. Show them that power is "to walk away from anything, at any time". There are literally thousand deals everywhere, I'd try for example AutoTrader and negotiate via phone for start. I know of folks getting vehicles online, from dealer, and signing the paperwork in person, so they can see what they buy. I one haven't done that yet bc I have had plenty deals within 20 miles of where I live, but almost done it few years ago for a PowerWagon in Detroit area. Worse case is the deal doesn't go through and you wasted minutes vs hours...

bigwidge

Reaction score
Running my current offer through again to get some thoughts:

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 5'7" with Rambox
Rugged Brown Color
5.7 L V8, 3.92 Gear Ratio.
Level 1 Equipment Group (8.4" Screen, middle console)

MSRP: $48,350
Sale Price As Shown On Website: $41,677
After very little haggling he presented me with $37,007 before TTT with a tonneau cover of my choice. ($11,343 in discounts, I asked him to give me a breakdown of this to see what is dealer discounts and what is manufacturer)

I counter offered with $34,500 before TTT with the tonneau cover and a spray-in bed liner. He rejected, that's where we stand currently.

What do you guys think a good counteroffer is?

Dealer located in Salisbury, MD if anyone is curious.

thermorex

Reaction score

Rugged Brown Color

After very little haggling he presented me with $37,007 before TTT with a tonneau cover of my choice. ($11,343 in discounts, I asked him to give me a breakdown of this to see what is dealer discounts and what is manufacturer)

I counter offered with $34,500 before TTT with the tonneau cover and a spray-in bed liner. He rejected, that's where we stand currently.

If you feel the truck is really what you want, I'd ask him to "meet in the middle" and offer 35500. 37K is not bad either IMO. If you finance and have your own financing for x% APR, tell the dealer you can go with his financing as a favor (they get a cut from their banks), as long as he can match your financing APR of x% - 0.5%, as there is no way for him to know your APR is x% and not x-0.5% (you can subtract more, but an experienced sales rep will know you went too far). I'd start with your financial institution (if they do auto loans). Or you can do pre-quals online also, (search for "Bank Name new vehicle loan rate"), for example Chase and Citizens had a decent APR few months ago. Major banks that do auto loans: US Bank, Chase, USAA, Bank Of America, Citizens Bank, Citi etc, some may or may not do business in your area.

bigwidge

Reaction score
If you feel the truck is really what you want, I'd ask him to "meet in the middle" and offer 35500. 37K is not bad either IMO. If you finance and have your own financing for x% APR, tell the dealer you can go with his financing as a favor (they get a cut from their banks), as long as he can match your financing APR of x% - 0.5%, as there is no way for him to know your APR is x% and not x-0.5% (you can subtract more, but an experienced sales rep will know you went too far). I'd start with your financial institution (if they do auto loans). Or you can do pre-quals online also, (search for "Bank Name new vehicle loan rate"), for example Chase and Citizens had a decent APR few months ago. Major banks that do auto loans: US Bank, Chase, USAA, Bank Of America, Citizens Bank, Citi etc, some may or may not do business in your area.
Thanks for the info! I already have arrangements ready with my local credit union, so I'll compare apples to apples when I get to the dealership should I decide to move forward.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
What do you think?

Rebel Quad Cab 4x4
Black
Bed Utility Group
Level 2 Group
V8 Hemi (no eTourqe)
Power Sunroof (Single Panel)
9 speaker w/subwoofer
12" Touchscreen
Blind-Spot
Spray-In Bedliner

MSRP $56,010
Negotiated Price at this time: $41,583
25.8% off MSRP
+ Tax, Tax, and Processing Fee

I guess an important thing to remember is that the 19's have been out for over a year. Most of this discount is simply to cover the 1st year's depreciation on the vehicle (for those who may end up trading it in at some point in the shorter term). Otherwise, in terms of keeping the truck long-term, these are awesome prices! Now if I can just find a way to score those 30%+ unicorns some of you are getting!!

dsaunders

Reaction score

Rugged Brown Color

A fair 27% discount off MSRP is $35,300. I'd go $35,500 with the bed liner and tonneau.

Beendare

Reaction score
Bought mine yesterday. It had the $9,500 off from full bore stricker and was listed on their website for $53k and change. Final was $48,750...plus all of the other adds........but yeah they come off it a bit.

Best is to know exactly what you want, search the differnt dealer inventories, then call and talk to Fleet or internet sales person. Just ask for rock bottom price. Talking to a sales guy racks up the price a couple grand. Hilltop in Richmond/ Dave fleet/internet sales was great.

Now of course the tax and license will kill you...and BTW they charge you the tax on the $9500 rebate- those CA politicians want their money!

freshen30

Reaction score
Just purchased my first Ram. After 3 months of waiting and searching all of California I finally found what I wanted for a price I was comfortable with.

2019 Ram Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab
-Black appearance package
-Laramie equipment package 2
-12 inch Uconnect
-Running boards
-33 gallon fuel tank
-Rambox

MSRP of $62,230
Final vehicle price of $46,215 with an OTD of $51,321 due to crazy California taxes and fees.
Saved about 26% off of MSRP. Feelings pretty good about it. My favorite part of purchasing was having other dealers contacting me saying that it wasn't a real deal and they are honest. Fun to tell them it was actually purchased!

Kornfrk2727

Reaction score
Just purchased my first Ram. After 3 months of waiting and searching all of California I finally found what I wanted for a price I was comfortable with.

2019 Ram Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab
-Black appearance package
-Laramie equipment package 2
-12 inch Uconnect
-Running boards
-33 gallon fuel tank
-Rambox

MSRP of $62,230
Final vehicle price of $46,215 with an OTD of $51,321 due to crazy California taxes and fees.
Saved about 26% off of MSRP. Feelings pretty good about it. My favorite part of purchasing was having other dealers contacting me saying that it wasn't a real deal and they are honest. Fun to tell them it was actually purchased!
Congrats on the truck! I just started my search. Dealers near me are no where close to that. Don’t mind me asking what was your sales price and rebate?

Users who are viewing this thread