5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hadn't thought of the sales tax advantage. This is a NH dealer so the only advantage would be for them. They get my trade without sales tax and I pay tax for the Ram when I get back to Maine.
You sure? I thought the sales tax advantage applied regardless, but it could vary state by state. See below, Maine isn’t on the list of 7 states...

A Jan 2019 article said this:
Begin quote:
“When you buy a new car and trade in your old car, the amount of sales tax you pay depends on state and local sales tax rates and whether the taxable purchase price is figured before or after you subtract your trade-in allowance. In 42 of the 50 states, you will pay the sales tax on the value of your new car minus the amount of your trade-in. Since Oregon has no sales tax, those who purchase vehicles there pay no taxes.

In the seven remaining states, you pay the sales tax rate on the full value of the new car. These states are California, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Montana and Virginia. No matter where you buy your new ride, sales tax is only one component of the total taxes and fees you'll pay to drive a car.” End quote

culprit

Reaction score
You sure? I thought the sales tax advantage applied regardless, but it could vary state by state. See below, Maine isn’t on the list of 7 states...

Begin quote:
“When you buy a new car and trade in your old car, the amount of sales tax you pay depends on state and local sales tax rates and whether the taxable purchase price is figured before or after you subtract your trade-in allowance. In 42 of the 50 states, you will pay the sales tax on the value of your new car minus the amount of your trade-in. Since Oregon has no sales tax, those who purchase vehicles there pay no taxes.

In the seven remaining states, you pay the sales tax rate on the full value of the new car. These states are California, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Montana and Virginia. No matter where you buy your new ride, sales tax is only one component of the total taxes and fees you'll pay to drive a car.” End quote
So basically I get to deduct the trade value from the purchase price of the Ram when I get back to Maine and register it. If I read that correctly.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So basically I get to deduct the trade value from the purchase price of the Ram when I get back to Maine and register it. If I read that correctly.
Think so but check your state DMV or whatever Maine calls it. Things change...

DraKhen99

Reaction score

Begin quote:

The article is wrong. I bought and registered my RAM in Maryland in May, and paid roughly half the sales tax, since I traded in my last truck. This saved me almost $2,000, just in taxes.

-John

bigwidge

Reaction score
The article is wrong. I bought and registered my RAM in Maryland in May, and paid roughly half the sales tax, since I traded in my last truck. This saved me almost $2,000, just in taxes.

-John

John,

Any good deals to brag about from your MD purchase? I too live in MD, close to Ocean City.

Last edited:

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Not now! With the current incentives, my one-month-old truck cost me about $8,000 too much! At the time though, I thought it was a decent deal. With little kids at home and wanting out of my F-150 so bad, I wasn't fighting for the best deal - just one in my budget that had the options (darn-near fully-loaded Limited) I wanted. I just don't have the time or energy (mostly time) to work deals with 3 different dealers and fight them against each other. Also, finding the truck I wanted was difficult. I gave up on color and RAM Boxes - silver is OK and the RAM boxes are heavy - to get the stuff I REALLY wanted (Lvl1, 3.92, 33 gallon tank, etc.).

The dealers out this way in Central MD are really discounting their trucks now, so it may be worth the drive for you. If you want to work with Criswell in Gaithersburg, let me know, I'll set you up with my sales guy. He is pretty knowledgeable about the trucks - he and his manager definitely know more than most sales people and were actually helpful with figuring out the tech.

-John

BZV971

Reaction score
The dealer I bought my from still has a few a 30% off, but I don't know if it's ok to post their information, if it is I will.They are in the Indiana.

PrISM

Reaction score
Just came back from my local dealer that has an Ivory Limited with all of the options I'd like.
MSRP: $68,740
Sale: $52,154 excluding TTL

It's a done deal. I picked it up last night. I tried getting them to come down more but I don't think it was gonna happen.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
It's a done deal. I picked it up last night. I tried getting them to come down more but I don't think it was gonna happen.

my dealer didnt want to come down after the 17.8k off. Rams were flying off the lots with the deal so not surprised, they have tons of people interested in the truck so they dont need to come down

RC_Racer88

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2019 1500 Laramie Blue Streak. The MSRP was $56,415, with rebates and dealer discount I got is for $41,750 with 6" lift and 35" Nitto on 20" Fuel Wheels, Customer Preferred Package 25H which includes 3.92 gears, Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle, 5.7–Liter V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine

idsrdum

Reaction score
Laramie 4x4 crew, granite, level 2 equip, anti-spin, V8, leather bucket,12 inch display, 20 inch wheels, trailer brake, chrome, skid plate

MSRP $59,790
Price $42,695 + TTL

1st time RAM owner. Glad to have found this forum - without reading about some of the deals here, we probably would have thought these "specials" were a gimmick.

SlipperyPete

Reaction score
Would there be any reason a dealer won’t come down as much on a Longhorn as a Limited? Both sticker at 68k MSRP, with the Longhorn about 500 dollars less but they’re coming down 27% on the Limited and only 24% on the Longhorn. I would prefer the Longhorn but not going to pay 3k more for the same truck. They have plenty of Limited on the lot so it’s not like it’s one specific one they’re trying to get rid of. Their excuse is they have to much into the Longhorns but that makes no sense to me.

b00001

Reaction score
Anyone seeing deals on the '19 Power Wagons? Most I have seen is $5k off MSRP.

unc22x

Reaction score
Just purchased a Big Horn 5.7 4x4 in Minnesota.

MSRP: $51,635
Purchase Price (before TTL): $33,880
34% off of MSRP.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

jastevenson

Reaction score
Just purchased a Long Horn 5.7 4x4 in Minnesota.

MSRP: $51,635
Purchase Price (before TTL): $33,880
34% off of MSRP.

Thoughts?

A Longhorn 4x4 with 3.6L engine starts at 54k. Did you mean Big Horn?

34% is great regardless!

jastevenson

Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger.

4x4 Laramie
Advanced Safety Group
Level 2 Equipment
33 gallon

MSRP: $60,695
Price: $42,923 + TTL

Nice! Do you happen to know if yours was a 15% rebate or 20% rebate? Looks like you got 29% off. I'm trying to figure out how much dealer discount I can ask for in addition to the rebate.

Users who are viewing this thread