5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Been reading plenty of horror stories across various makes and models and dealerships over past several months where basically a dealer takes advantage of a customer ordering a vehicle then raises the price. In the end, they refund the customer their deposit and then they have a vehicle they otherwise would've had to order through regular channels instead of customer-initiated requests.

Again, I mentioned that maybe you have a slip of paper with an agreement to sell you that vehicle. Or maybe RAM works differently.

Ram does indeed work differently. As @Ram-a-Kin mentioned above, dealers can enter price protected orders.

Thanks! I saw a dedicated thread. What's the deal with this dealership? Are they so good with CS and pricing that folks are flying in to get vehicles?
Yep, they're that good. I rented a car and drove in to pick up my truck.

mtnbikej

Reaction score
Been reading plenty of horror stories across various makes and models and dealerships over past several months where basically a dealer takes advantage of a customer ordering a vehicle then raises the price. In the end, they refund the customer their deposit and then they have a vehicle they otherwise would've had to order through regular channels instead of customer-initiated requests.

Happened to me.

m.hamner

Reaction score
What do you mean price locked? Price isn't locked until you take delivery. The dealer loses nothing if they tack on a markup when you come to pick it up. You walk away with your 1000 dollar deposit refunded and they now have a new truck to sell for markup. Unless you've got a signed agreement that they're gonna sell it to you......

Yes, I have a signed purchase agreement with an itemized build order sheet that’s also signed. Watched the sales person enter it line by line into their system to submit for build after they themselves signed it.

Also, out of curiosity, given the current market, how'd you manage to talk them down 6 grand? Just due to the high 70s price in the first place? Given how quick the trucks move and the low volume at the moment, seems like they'd have very little incentive to discount.
I don’t know. I think it’s cause they all knew I was shopping around over the phone giving the dealer the prices I was getting. That’s when the prices started moving down.

tomme12

Reaction score

Again, I mentioned that maybe you have a slip of paper with an agreement to sell you that vehicle. Or maybe RAM works differently.

Thanks! I saw a dedicated thread. What's the deal with this dealership? Are they so good with CS and pricing that folks are flying in to get vehicles?
Yup they are that good. They price locked mine I ordered in January. Mark Dodge is all that and then some. I tried five different dealers in Charlotte area and nobody could even come close. Im flying down in the next two weeks to pick up my truck. It was well below invoice as well.

Jeremy1974

Reaction score
2020 Ram 1500 Built to Serve Package Patriot Blue
MSRP $54,144
I paid $44,950
Hagerstown, MD

m.hamner

Reaction score
Yup they are that good. They price locked mine I ordered in January. Mark Dodge is all that and then some. I tried five different dealers in Charlotte area and nobody could even come close. Im flying down in the next two weeks to pick up my truck. It was well below invoice as well.
What was the terms of the deal? MSRP, total before tax, title, doc, processing, etc.

nickmv

Reaction score
So you just built out something on the website and sent that config to them and then suddenly it came back far below the RAM website price? That sounds pretty awesome to me, I need to reach out to them about a Backcountry build.

Edit: just sent them a build quote/price sheet request, we'll see how it compares to the RAM website and my local dealer down the street. :fingerscrossed

Last edited:

tomme12

Reaction score
What was the terms of the deal? MSRP, total before tax, title, doc, processing, etc.
Final final is not done yet as I need to see what incentives at pick up I still have or get since I ordered. I can either keep what I have incentives or if better are out there, I will get those. For example, I still Tread Lightly $500 to apply and possibly another $1k option. As of now, its about 8% below invoice, no negotiating, no crazy dealer questions, nothing. That includes Doc fees.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you just built out something on the website and sent that config to them and then suddenly it came back far below the RAM website price? That sounds pretty awesome to me, I need to reach out to them about a Backcountry build.

There are tons of us on here who have bought from them over the past few years, and plenty of us from far away. Myself included, ordered back in March from NY and got it delivered up to me in June. Price protected the whole time and was a great experience (for once) all around, from start to finish. It's certainly worth shooting them an email with your build.

They are truly the exception though, as you see from some of the stories here most of the other dealerships are filled with scumbags.

testcrewman

Reaction score
I ordered my first truck from a local dealer, ended up cancelling that order and eating the deposit because the deal I got from MD was that good. I even tried to have my local dealer come close to MDs offer, but they wouldn't even touch it. MSRP for my new order was $73,480. They locked me in at $64,334 and they also locked the January incentives in which were $2,000. Which, coincidentally was the amount of my original deposit that I ate. So, driving 600 miles to save $9,000 is a no brainer.

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered my first truck from a local dealer, ended up cancelling that order and eating the deposit because the deal I got from MD was that good. I even tried to have my local dealer come close to MDs offer, but they wouldn't even touch it. MSRP for my new order was $73,480. They locked me in at $64,334 and they also locked the January incentives in which were $2,000. Which, coincidentally was the amount of my original deposit that I ate. So, driving 600 miles to save $9,000 is a no brainer.

I never asked, but what did your original dealer think about the fact that you were getting such a good deal that it was worth it to let that deposit go?

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean MD is had to beat if you're in a reasonable proximity. My MSRP is $76750 and I just wired them $60,114 for the truck. 22% below MSRP in this market. It's just sickening to think of paying more. Yes, I ordered in June, and yes MSRP has gone up since then. But I still didn't buy a truck until February of 2022 and if I found that truck local I'd be lucky to get it at sticker.

testcrewman

Reaction score
I never asked, but what did your original dealer think about the fact that you were getting such a good deal that it was worth it to let that deposit go?
They basically laughed in my face when I showed them the print out from MD and asked them if they could come close to that. I was even willing to go a bit higher than what MD offered because of the $2,000 I was going to be out, but they told me they couldn't even come close to that. The sad thing is, someone bought that truck last week for MSRP. I'm sure the dealer didn't mind. They got my 2 grand and got MSRP for the truck, so it was a win-win for them.

testcrewman

Reaction score
H
Yeah, I mean MD is had to beat if you're in a reasonable proximity. My MSRP is $76750 and I just wired them $60,114 for the truck. 22% below MSRP in this market. It's just sickening to think of paying more. Yes, I ordered in June, and yes MSRP has gone up since then. But I still didn't buy a truck until February of 2022 and if I found that truck local I'd be lucky to get it at sticker.
Holy cow, that's a crazy good deal. It's hard to imagine that MD makes any money off of some of these deals they give.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score

Edit: just sent them a build quote/price sheet request, we'll see how it compares to the RAM website and my local dealer down the street. :fingerscrossed
Just a caveat here, surprisingly as it seems but the RAM website does not have the current up-to-date pricing. The dealers have the currently pricing so your price from the dealer maybe a bit higher than what you are seeing on the RAM website.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They basically laughed in my face when I showed them the print out from MD and asked them if they could come close to that. I was even willing to go a bit higher than what MD offered because of the $2,000 I was going to be out, but they told me they couldn't even come close to that. The sad thing is, someone bought that truck last week for MSRP. I'm sure the dealer didn't mind. They got my 2 grand and got MSRP for the truck, so it was a win-win for them.
Unbelievable...except that it seems relatively common.

I was working with a dealer who wouldn't come off MSRP. They acted insulted and borderline called me a liar when I told them what MD quoted me for a better truck (Southwest Edition). I stopped communication and personally cost them three buyers. They won on the truck they were trying to sell to me, I'm sure, but I like to think they lost in the long run. That experience is a big reason that I go so hard for Mark Dodge here. Every buyer that buys from Mark Dodge, instead of dealers like we're talking about is a win for us all.

nickmv

Reaction score
Just a caveat here, surprisingly as it seems but the RAM website does not have the current up-to-date pricing. The dealers have the currently pricing so your price from the dealer maybe a bit higher than what you are seeing on the RAM website.
The price also increased since yesterday. I have a saved build that clocked in at 50.7k yesterday. It's at 51.5k now, not sure which item changed.

And I contacted MARK and sent them the 51.5k build --- 49.7k initial quote before TTL. They're already almost 2k below right outta the gate without any questions asked.

testcrewman

Reaction score
H
Holy cow, that's a crazy good deal. It's hard to imagine that MD makes any money off of some of these deals they give.

Users who are viewing this thread