5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Runagun

Reaction score
You ever notice people would rather be given a fish instead of learning to fish.

You ever notice that people write these great deals of 20-25% off msrp but never say what dealer or who? or provide any evidence? we all get paperwork, people have been asking for who and what dealer - but little answers. So, I would very much like to see people's deals they claim or where they got them? Is there any harm in doing that?

Creep0321

Reaction score
Update

I cancelled my stuck Laramie (31 days and still gathering parts). Upgraded to a Limited.

MSRP 67,400
Invoice 61,581
Negotiated 57,151
Rebates 4,000 (at least)
Final 53,151 + TTF
21% off MSRP

Actually hoping for a March delivery for Ram Truck Month and maybe some better rebates.
Can you expand in the March ram truck month thing? I’m looking at ordering a Laramie for deliver end of March/early April.

Runagun

Reaction score
Funny, Good response!

Never walk in. Any dealer that says. "Come on in and we'll negotiate" hes just wasting your time. Everything I've done has been through phone/email or text. Only times I'm ever at the dealership is to test drive or sign the papers. Never to negotiate. And typically I don't do both at the same dealer.

Theres Tyson in Shorewood IL, Coons somewhere East coast. Dennis Dillion In ID. South County in Gilroy CA. Theres a bunch of others. Pick up the phone and call. If you need someone to contact @ Tyson ask for Adam. If your a tread lightly Member for 30 days it'll be even better. Do everything over the phone. Never go in without a text or email of the deal.

Listen, This forum is where I got all my information before Purchased. Yess, I read the whole of 50 pages at that time on this thread.

And this is normally how it goes on this forum. Once a person buys their truck. They post how much and occasionally where. And After that, they don't visit this thread. So you asking for proof and whatever is hogwash. Lets see how much you visit after your purchase.

Good Luck! Be smart...

LOL, I prefer to fish with bait ... I'm looking for the best bait ... walking in with an actual deal is pretty good bait
;)

glennf14

Reaction score
You ever notice that people write these great deals of 20-25% off msrp but never say what dealer or who? or provide any evidence? we all get paperwork, people have been asking for who and what dealer - but little answers. So, I would very much like to see people's deals they claim or where they got them? Is there any harm in doing that?
I'm sympathetic to this. I'd guess that over 75% of the posts here involve a trade-in, which is an unknown factor that complicates the final terms of the deal. Getting a quote from Koons is def the way to go. At least you have something concrete to go off of. That's what I plan on doing, if no one can match/beat then I'll buy from Koons.

Stasek

Reaction score
Funny, Good response!

Never walk in. Any dealer that says. "Come on in and we'll negotiate" hes just wasting your time. Everything I've done has been through phone/email or text. Only times I'm ever at the dealership is to test drive or sign the papers. Never to negotiate. And typically I don't do both at the same dealer.

Theres Tyson in Shorewood IL, Coons somewhere East coast. Dennis Dillion In ID. South County in Gilroy CA. Theres a bunch of others. Pick up the phone and call. If you need someone to contact @ Tyson ask for Adam. If your a tread lightly Member for 30 days it'll be even better. Do everything over the phone. Never go in without a text or email of the deal.

Listen, This forum is where I got all my information before Purchased. Yess, I read the whole of 50 pages at that time on this thread.

And this is normally how it goes on this forum. Once a person buys their truck. They post how much and occasionally where. And After that, they don't visit this thread. So you asking for proof and whatever is hogwash. Lets see how much you visit after your purchase.

Good Luck! Be smart...
I almost bought the truck from Tyson in Shorewood IL (dealt with Jason). Was a great deal (6% below invoice + incentives (couple targeted) -> $13,500+ off Big Horn), but decided against it at the last minute (prefer full console vs bench, which the truck had). Haven't pulled the trigger, yet - kind of waiting for better deals AND (most importantly) for later builds (seeing how many problems people have). Plus, nobody has the truck i really want - basic Laramie CC/5'7" with Pentastar V6 - might have to sign up for tread lightly and do a custom order.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
I'm sympathetic to this. I'd guess that over 75% of the posts here involve a trade-in, which is an unknown factor that complicates the final terms of the deal. Getting a quote from Koons is def the way to go. At least you have something concrete to go off of. That's what I plan on doing, if no one can match/beat then I'll buy from Koons.

Trades shouldn’t matter.

The volume dealers in Baltimore are definitely aggressive right now - Ourisman, Heritage and Len Stoler. They’re still calling to let me know their incentives are better for trucks on the lot than they were in November.

Runagun

Reaction score
Honestly, I wasn't going to pull the trigger till next year. Don't like buying first year models. What pushed me was the end of lifetime warranty. Plus Tyson gave me 15k off a limited. The truck hadn't been delivered yet. Build date on it was first week of November. If your not a tread lightly member. I would suggest you be one. That may knock off a grand or two.

Also, I'm not sure how much lower things can get. 13k+ off is quite substantial.

I almost bought the truck from Tyson in Shorewood IL (dealt with Jason). Was a great deal (6% below invoice + incentives (couple targeted) -> $13,500+ off Big Horn), but decided against it at the last minute (prefer full console vs bench, which the truck had). Haven't pulled the trigger, yet - kind of waiting for better deals AND (most importantly) for later builds (seeing how many problems people have). Plus, nobody has the truck i really want - basic Laramie CC/5'7" with Pentastar V6 - might have to sign up for tread lightly and do a custom order.

Stasek

Reaction score
Honestly, I wasn't going to pull the trigger till next year. Don't like buying first year models. What pushed me was the end of lifetime warranty. Plus Tyson gave me 15k off a limited. The truck hadn't been delivered yet. Build date on it was first week of November. If your not a tread lightly member. I would suggest you be one. That may knock off a grand or two.

Also, I'm not sure how much lower things can get. 13k+ off is quite substantial.

Price was definitely “right”. It basically came down to selection. I’ll probably cough up the $100, sign up for tread lightly and place an order. It’ll give me time to sell the ‘06 Tundra privately.

gleek48

Reaction score
I am in the market for a 2019 Ram 1500.

Any good recommendations for a solid salesperson/dealership in the Houston, TX area?

Thanks!

glennf14

Reaction score
Trades shouldn’t matter.

The volume dealers in Baltimore are definitely aggressive right now - Ourisman, Heritage and Len Stoler. They’re still calling to let me know their incentives are better for trucks on the lot than they were in November.

Trades shouldn't matter? What? Trades certainly do matter when negotiating the price of any vehicle. The dealer is factoring in how much to offer for your trade vs. how much they can make on it. Even if you try to keep the negotiations separate (price of new vehicle separate from value of your trade) it still influences the final numbers of the deal.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: Let's say the dealer thinks they can make about 5k on a trade. They may give the buyer more "off" on the new vehicle price. The deal gets done and then the buyer comes on this forum and says "hey I got a loaded Laramie, MSRP $62k, for 45k! woot woot!"
The issue is that we don't know if they had a trade, and we don't know what extra rebates they may or may not have qualified for (USAA, PenFed, competitive lease, Military, etc., etc.)

So folks who are looking to buy (like me) come here for information and read posts like that. They may come away with unrealistic/unattainable expectations on what they can expect to pay. The waters are already muddy on car buying, we don't need to contribute more mud.

That's why folks on this thread who purchase without a trade can provide very some valuable information. Most folks here (not all, but most) already have a truck so they're gonna have a trade in, which is fine and I appreciate their posts. It's just helpful for folks to specify if they had a trade when posting their deal numbers. :poop::poop:

WKH

Reaction score
Picked up 4x4 longhorn with rambox msrp 69,004 for $58,250. Crystal dodge in hommosassa. Gave me 2k for my clunker which was more than fair. It was in transit and they expedited shipping. Josh was very nice. Right when I went to head home for 3hr drive because they seemed to be only dealer in fl to make a descent deal I noticed on tailgate was a bighorn emblem! Hilarious. Also rear wheel well guard or protector was missing. I’m going to have local dealer fix but I’d recommend Crystal dodge.

WKH

Reaction score
Btw drove home 3hrs and it drives fantastic!... I don’t have air suspension but don’t think u could have much better ride!

stevetom84

Reaction score
Where did you purchase from?

I wanted to take delivery of my truck before lifetime warranties were gone, so I had to find a dealer that had what I wanted. I ended up buying from Palmer CJDR in GA. Lenoir City CJDR in East TN was very competitive and came close to meeting Koons, but they didn't have any on the lot with the ram boxes.

Runagun

Reaction score
Technically you didn't need to take delivery to still have warranty. You just had to buy the warranty at the selling dealer. But Congrats on your purchase.

I wanted to take delivery of my truck before lifetime warranties were gone, so I had to find a dealer that had what I wanted. I ended up buying from Palmer CJDR in GA. Lenoir City CJDR in East TN was very competitive and came close to meeting Koons, but they didn't have any on the lot with the ram boxes.

WKH

Reaction score
My sale price of 58,250 was negotiated first then I told them about my trade. I told them trade wasn’t running good and needed timing chain so they said if I can bring to them they’ll give me 2k. So sale price was 58,250 from msrp of 69,040 to be clear for everyone.

Bacchus

Reaction score
If you would like to know how I got my deal, please check out post 1171 in this thread where I detail how I got that price.

I do have a trade. However, that wasn't brought up until after we mostly hammered out the truck price. I did go in with a KBB offer, so I at least had a base price I needed met to trade in my current vehicle. Did I leave a couple of bucks on the table? Probably. But I was ok with what i got. I got a hair above my KBB offer. Maybe I could have squeezed another 500, but I felt the price was fair.

I went to a high volume dealer knowing they could probably move on the price more than the lower volume guys. I went in armed with knowledge for every stage of negotiations. I had a reason and proof for every number I presented. I didn't waste my salesman's time, nor the manager's. I walked in and told them I knew exactly what I wanted and let's build it. I went in with a nice attitude, not like a bull in a china shop. I didn't demand anything, and I certainly was respectful of those I was interacting with.

20% off is pretty average. Another member even made a spreadsheet showing this (read this entire thread). If you look at all the information I went in with, you're looking at hours of time, phone calls, emails, test drives, and Sunday window shopping. So yeah, I invested a lot of time to maximize my chances of getting the best deal. I stumbled on this thread and am grateful to all of those who posted, even without the dealer's name. This thread is meant to help everyone. It let's you know what you can get. If your dealer chooses not to match, then get up and leave. Go to the next dealer. Keep going until you get the deal you want. As someone else already said, different dealers have different motivations at different times. But to the few, there is no need to be rude and accusatory to other members of this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread