5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Silent Bob

Reaction score
SO, talked to a dealer yesterday, they have exactly what I want. 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Hemi with the Night Appearance package in the quad cab and 6'-4" bed. Also has the Premium Lighting Group and Panoramic Sunroof. MSRP is $51,385, they are offering $43,527 (this equals 16% off) + $295 admin fee + $2402 tax + $237.43 in non tax fees = OTD for $46,461 and 0% for 72 months. Should I bite? Assuming there could be some additional wiggle room?

If this is exactly what you want, and you don't want to wait on a factory order, I would buy. That being said with the larger incentives being offered on Big Horns some people are getting discounts of 20% or more right now. That means the dealer is not giving you a very large discount.

Keep in mind that even though Big Horns historically have the best incentives this may not be the case when a factory order arrives.

Every single percent you save is just over $500 with that MSRP.

Last edited:

DAT84

Reaction score
If this is exactly what you want, and you don't want to wait on a factory order, I would buy. That being said with the large larger incentives being offered in Big Horns some people are getting discounts of 20% or more right now. That means the dealer is not giving you a very large discount.

Keep in mind that even though Big Horns historically have the best incentives this may not be the case when a factory order arrives.
Yeah, like I said, it only equals out to 16%. Seeing other people getting 20%+ has me wondering how much lower I can realistically negotiate? If I could get to 18% off I'd be satisfied.

DAT84

Reaction score
I have sold a car to Carvana. You will get exactly what they told you.
Awesome! Everything relies on that. Luckily I have a 2nd car I can drive if things don't work out on the Ram. But unloading my Ford Focus for a decent price in a truck market will be a nice first step.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, like I said, it only equals out to 16%. Seeing other people getting 20%+ has me wondering how much lower I can realistically negotiate? If I could get to 18% off I'd be satisfied.

You need to determine how much that extra 1-2% is and if its worth it to you.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can do much better buying inventory than purchasing a factory order. (In my admittedly uneducated opinion. Flame away and tell me if I'm wrong! ;) )

So, if they have something on the lot, with a great deal and it fits what you're looking for...do it!

Jako

Reaction score
You can do much better buying inventory than purchasing a factory order. (In my admittedly uneducated opinion. Flame away and tell me if I'm wrong! ;) )

So, if they have something on the lot, with a great deal and it fits what you're looking for...do it!
I think it may depend on what you are looking for and what the dealer ordered and has sitting on the lot and for how long. For example cloth bench seats does not have a big following.

chuck01835

Reaction score
I found your post interesting and believe I shopped 9 dealers in NJ. Surprised at the lack of sale's effort/negotiation from the sales people. No effort to match my best price much less to beat it.

Sansone which appears to be a large dealership no interest at all and one sales person that I liked at Buhler wasn't interested in matching or maybe couldn't which I find hard to believe View attachment 83479 :unsure:. The sales manager at Autoland appeared to be POd at me for negotiating a best deal:cry:. At Nielsen I was met by a sales man in the car lot and I felt he thought I was a mushroom (keep me in the dark and feed me manure:poop:). Hudson dropped the ball with emails and returned phone calls:rolleyes:. Another dealership had my emails go to the wrong location which wasn't checked :eek:. At another the :poop:was so deep I thought I would need a shovel to deal with the sales man. Staten Island dealer was a total waste of time and told me I was looking for the wrong vehicle at that price when he asked the famous "what do you want to pay"(n). I was within $1000 of the price while he was $3000 away (nice profit IF you could get it)

Finally the sales manager with 20+ years of experience at Salerno(y) knew what he was dealing with, showed me invoice and msrp numbers and closed the deal with his bottom line no bs number. Nice to deal with a seasoned vet. I believe that was on my 3rd visit when I had the build I wanted and a good idea of prices.
Note: I believe both sales man and sales manager took a hit with covid and last time I had service were no longer at the dealership :cry:

I was in no rush and fortunate with my location in relation to the dealerships:). It was a nice time of year to take a ride with the bride:love: or the motorcycle, do some dealership shopping and have lunch with the bride:coffee:.

It should be noted I also dealt with Allen Melo(y) initially via internet and the dealings were pretty good but opted for a later build versus the one on the lot and a few states away.
I wish all potential buyers the best of luck and extend my appreciation to the original posters on this forum that educated me.
How was your experience with Allen Mello? Did they quote you a good price and who did you deal with?

Jako

Reaction score
How was your experience with Allen Mello? Did they quote you a good price and who did you deal with?
They had what I wanted except chrome wheels (tried to swap out - no good), and needed wheel well liners and trailer brake control which would have been added. The price was good and gave me a good idea of what I should be paying. It is 2 1/2 years ago but from what I can recall it was a good experience.

I opted to build my own so I had a later build date (less potential issues??????) and did not want the chrome wheels. It should be noted that I wanted cloth bench seat and I am not sure how that effected pricing and deal. My dealership had pretty much my exact build in white and was offering me a potentially good deal. I believe cloth bench seat can put a drag on the vehicle sale.

Based on my experience I would give a (y) :) for Allen Mello.

From an old email:
I found out that we are giving you $5,000 total of rebates because Craig is giving you some extra special rebates! Feel free to call or text my cell if you have any other questions because it's definitely the easiest way to reach me.

Hope you're having a wonderful night!
Ava French
Sales and Leasing Consultant
Allen Mello Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
13 Marmon Dr.
Nashua, NH 03060

Desk: 603.888.7550
Cell: 603.247.3504

DTN

Reaction score
My last two new automobile purchases in SoCal (years ago) were internet "no haggle" price deals. This avoids the salesman cut and the pain of haggling.

When I recently started looking for a new Ram truck I could request a quote over the internet from surrounding dealerships (100 mile radius) but they all started the dance of asking for my phone number first and trying to get me in the dealership before responding with a quote. When I told them I just want the quote they eventually throw out a bogus number based on discounts most people don't qualify for. I also asked about the 72 month no interest financing special sponcered by FCA and they said I could get it if I qualify but I would lose some of the dealership discounts worth a few thousand.

Then I found a dealership near Nashville that displayed a price much lower than the others with much better options and they called it a "no haggle" price. I asked them who qualifies for the "no haggle" discounts and they said everyone does and it's a "take it or leave it" price because it's truly no haggle. I asked about the no interest financing and they said sure, no problem but the price still stays the same.

So I headed out to the dealership, test drove the truck, signed a few papers and drove away with the new truck in about an hours time. They even took in my old 2003 Ram 2500 as a trade.

Very nice buying experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: c3k

Runagun

Reaction score
My last two new automobile purchases in SoCal (years ago) were internet "no haggle" price deals. This avoids the salesman cut and the pain of haggling.

When I recently started looking for a new Ram truck I could request a quote over the internet from a surrounding dealerships (100 mile radius) but they all started the dance of asking for my phone number first and trying to get me in the dealership before responding with a quote. When I told them I just want the quote they eventually throw out a bogus number based on discounts most people don't qualify for. I also asked about the 72 month no interest financing special sponcered by FCA and they said I could get it if I qualify but I would lose some of the dealership discounts worth a few thousand.

Then I found a dealership near Nashville that displayed a price much lower than the others with much better options and they called it a "no haggle" price. I asked them who qualifies for the "no haggle" discounts and they said everyone does and it's a "take it or leave it" price because it's truly no haggle. I asked about the no interest financing and they said sure, no problem but the price still stays the same
What dealer?

DTN

Reaction score
That is a 15.81% discount from MSRP. People are getting Big Horns with discounts in the 20% and up range because of the larger factory incentives right now. Would be a decent percentage discount if it were a Laramie or Limited.

The only better discounts in my area were for discounts I didn't qualify for.

My example showed $7,829 off MSRP (15.81%) but looking at current FCA incentives I can only get $6,300 if I qualified and then I would not the 72 month interest free financing.

What factory incentives are you referring too?

fca discounts.JPG

Last edited:

Silent Bob

Reaction score
The only better discounts in my area were for discounts I didn't qualify for.
We are not talking incentives/rebates that you need to qualify for. Just the discount the dealer is offering. A 15.81% Big Horn discount is not terrible but the dealer should be offering more. As you can see the factory is offering a discount of $4750 even if you don't finance with Chrysler. That means the dealer discount is $3079 or 6.22% off MSRP. They could do better. If you bought a truck with a similar discount you can rest assured you got a good factory discount. You may have also got the average or better dealer discount for your area but many of us are getting 10%-17%. This does take some work and for many it is just not something they want to do.

If you go with the 0.0% financing you would lose $4250 of those incentives as that dealership is including them in their price.

1614013752327.png

Last edited:

DTN

Reaction score
We are not talking incentives/rebates that you need to qualify for. Just the discount the dealer is offering. A 15.81% Big Horn discount is not terrible but the dealer should be offering more. As you can see the factory is offering a discount of $4750 even if you don't finance with Chrysler. That means the dealer discount is $3079 or 6.22% off MSRP. They could do better. If you bought a truck with a similar discount you can rest assured you got a good factory discount. You may have also got the average or better dealer discount for your area but many of us are getting 10%-17%. This does take some work and for many it is just not something they want to do.

View attachment 83594
I don't see a better deal than what I got?

And I would not qualify for some of those discounts.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My numbers, for a factory-ordered Laramie edoDiesel, 4x4, ORG, 6'4", Level A Equipment, BUG, and some other odds and ends:

(Dollars, US)
MSRP: 63,530
Invoice: 58,598
My price: 54,388
Rebates: 4,000
Add on fees: 165

My OTD: 50,533

Edited to add
OTD to MSRP represents 21% off.
OTD to Invoice represents 14% off (inclusive of rebates, otherwise 7% below invoice before rebates)

Phillip Olson at Bud Clary.
Great guy to work with.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

When I recently started looking for a new Ram truck I could request a quote over the internet from surrounding dealerships (100 mile radius) but they all started the dance of asking for my phone number first and trying to get me in the dealership before responding with a quote. When I told them I just want the quote they eventually throw out a bogus number based on discounts most people don't qualify for. I also asked about the 72 month no interest financing special sponcered by FCA and they said I could get it if I qualify but I would lose some of the dealership discounts worth a few thousand.

Then I found a dealership near Nashville that displayed a price much lower than the others with much better options and they called it a "no haggle" price. I asked them who qualifies for the "no haggle" discounts and they said everyone does and it's a "take it or leave it" price because it's truly no haggle. I asked about the no interest financing and they said sure, no problem but the price still stays the same.

So I headed out to the dealership, test drove the truck, signed a few papers and drove away with the new truck in about an hours time. They even took in my old 2003 Ram 2500 as a trade.

Very nice buying experience.
Which dealer?

Borsig

Reaction score
My numbers, for a factory-ordered Laramie edoDiesel, 4x4, ORG, 6'4", Level A Equipment, BUG, and some other odds and ends:

(Dollars, US)
MSRP: 63,530
Invoice: 58,598
My price: 54,388
Rebates: 4,000
Add on fees: 165

My OTD: 50,533
can people start posting the dealer they are using?

Users who are viewing this thread