5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

llackey23

Reaction score
After the debacle in trying to order my truck (I found out 4 weeks after placing the order they would not build my configuration, V6, 2WD Limited with air suspension) my dealer was eager to make up for it. They found one locally with the eTorque hemi, level 1 equipment group, and trailer tow group. None of which I ordered. They agreed to sell it for the price we negotiated on my order. Got about 5k in additional options for the same price :). MSRP was $64,685 and got it for $54,000, 17% off MSRP. FCA not building what I wanted was a blessing after all :giggle:

Did they give a reason as to why they would not build it? I am ordering almost the exact same configuration. 2020 Limited V6 - 2WD, 3.21......

BTK20

Reaction score
Did they give a reason as to why they would not build it? I am ordering almost the exact same configuration. 2020 Limited V6 - 2WD, 3.21......
I was forwarded an email from the Southeast Supply Chain manager that said in that configuration I either had to remove the "standard" air suspension or get 4wd to include the air suspension. My dealer said that if I got the v8 they probably would have built it. They are phasing out the v6 on Limited and Longhorn trims.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was forwarded an email from the Southeast Supply Chain manager that said in that configuration I either had to remove the "standard" air suspension or get 4wd to include the air suspension. My dealer said that if I got the v8 they probably would have built it. They are phasing out the v6 on Limited and Longhorn trims.

That can’t be true, as they don’t make limiteds without air suspension. I think you got some misinformation or bad wording from someone along the way here.

It sounds like they just simply didn’t want to do it lol. Because they had no other trucks lined up in the same config. They won’t build random stuff like that or colors without having X amount of them to make it worthwhile.

For example, if you try to order a lime green tradesman or what have you, it won’t be built until/at least ~300 or so are queued up. Or whatever the magic number might be.

they have to stop the production line, change out to this one off request, run it, then switch everything back and it’s just not profitable without some additional volume

BTK20

Reaction score
That can’t be true, as they don’t make limiteds without air suspension. I think you got some misinformation or bad wording from someone along the way here.

It sounds like they just simply didn’t want to do it lol. Because they had no other trucks lined up in the same config. They won’t build random stuff like that or colors without having X amount of them to make it worthwhile.

For example, if you try to order a lime green tradesman or what have you, it won’t be built until/at least ~300 or so are queued up. Or whatever the magic number might be.

they have to stop the production line, change out to this one off request, run it, then switch everything back and it’s just not profitable without some additional volume
Here is the email:
> From: Sean Begley <[email protected]>
> > > Date: February 11, 2020 at 4:27:11 PM EST
> > > To: [email protected]
> > > Cc: Robert Weaver <[email protected]>
> > > Subject: Brian @ Mall of GA - DT Sold Customer Order Build Issue
> > >
> > > ?
> > > Brian. per our conversation, here is the VON and info for the sold order that cannot be built
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, it was communicated to us by Program Management that the plant cannot support building the below sold customer orders. This is due to the vehicles having 4X2 with an air suspension. There is a change in STV that will remove the air suspension to allow this body model CPOS to build.
> > >
> > > When you get a chance, can you advise if the customers would approve of the air suspension being removed from these units? The other option would be to cancel the orders and reorder with another CPOS or with 4X4. Please let me know if you have any questions.
> > >
> > > J 68510 MALL OF GEORGIA CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP CDTJR
> > >
> > > 45358475
> > > DT1M98
> > > C
> > > 68510
> > > 66
> > > 23M
> > > 4EA
> > >
> > > Sean T. Begley
> > >
> > > Supply Chain Manager | Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
> > >
> > > Orlando, FL | Southeast Business Center
> > >
> > > O: (407) 826-7094 | T: 867.7094 | M: (248) 794-9564
> > >
> > > [email protected]

StaceyR

Reaction score
Thanks fellas glad I saw this post before going in and negotiating. Picked this rig up Friday Night OTD (All fees) for 50,500 in NorCal. Seems in alignment with the general census in getting around 20 percent off. First time Ram Owner sweet ride.
Out the door means including tax and license, right? Is that the case here?

llackey23

Reaction score

What you are saying does make sense which makes me nervous because I am ordering a V6 2WD Limited - I am pretty it may get kicked back now because there no V6's hardly anywhere which would support the theory that the V6 is being phased out.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What you are saying does make sense which makes me nervous because I am ordering a V6 2WD Limited - I am pretty it may get kicked back now because there no V6's hardly anywhere which would support the theory that the V6 is being phased out.

I only know of this because it happened to me, I tried to get a new holland blue tradesman a few year back and couldn’t get it.

which seems like BS to me, I mean you say you will build it and offer it but yet you won’t?

and I’ve heard others having issues getting that like green color or the orange color they had as well.

llackey23

Reaction score
Okay Guys I got confirmation this morning to back up some of the rumors - DCJR no longer manufacturing the V6 Gas Engine. Only V6 Eco Diesel or 5.7 V8. Anybody got any thoughts on the 2?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay Guys I got confirmation this morning to back up some of the rumors - DCJR no longer manufacturing the V6 Gas Engine. Only V6 Eco Diesel or 5.7 V8. Anybody got any thoughts on the 2?
FCA may be discontinuing the V6 in certain Ram trims or configurations, but they are definitely still manufacturing the Pentastar V6, and I doubt they would drop the gas V6 from the Ram altogether.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep probably run it on the tradesman for fleets and the big horn to compete with lowest price sales if I had to guess. Not surprised they are pulling it on higher trims though.

To answer the question, the ecodiesel brings a lot more risk of downtime to the table. If you only short trip around town it’s a waste and potential aggravation you don’t need IMO.

on the flip side, if you are running highway speeds often like 55+ and take road trips in it and all that Jazz, the fuel savings could be a consideration.

for most people the hemi is going To make more sense and you won’t have to worry about emissions related drama or oil coolers or whatever else.

Big3MG

Reaction score
I think he meant Longhorns and Limiteds. The Laramie was always available with or without etorque, but starting with the model year 2020, the Longhorns and Limiteds were only available with etorque for the hemi.

Good news there though, they have apparently taken back that requirement, on the build website you can now build a 2020 Longhorn or Limited with the 5.7 without etorque. I'm happy to see this become an option again and hope it stays that way.
After Dec 2020 or so, you can no longer configure a Laramie with non-eTorque and Level 2 equipment package. I confirmed with my dealer. When you add that on your online build it changes the engine back to eTorque. You can select ECO Diesel as well but not standard 5.7L. Today, was able to configure a Limited with Equipment 1 package (there is no Level 2) and standard 5.7L.

Guppydriver

Reaction score
I’m having a difficult time navigating pricing. Some dealers lump rebates in with their dealer discount offer, some dont. Can’t find the same rebates listed on Ram’s website on any dealer websites.

Right now, I see Big Horn rebates on Rams website as shown below. I’m not sure I believe the average area dealer is offering $7k+ as a dealer discount on a Bighorn. Any thoughts on that? $15k off on $53k bighorn would be 28% before taxes.

I haven’t stepped foot in a dealer yet, but have initiated conversations with a few area dealers in hopes of closing a deal soon.

As an aside, remember that whenever you see a "XXXXX package value savings", completely disregard it. Its all smoke and mirrors. It has nothing to do with the invoice or the sticker. Ford dealers are notorious for advertising a MSRP that doesn't include this "package savings" so it appears you are receiving a greater discount than you actually are. It's pure marketing.... if Mcdonalds was advertising 10% off all Big Mac combos this month, and you went in to buy one and they said the 10% is the bundle savings of buying the burger, fries, and coke together instead of separately, you'd probably call BS pretty quick. This is the same thing.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After Dec 2020 or so, you can no longer configure a Laramie with non-eTorque and Level 2 equipment package. I confirmed with my dealer. When you add that on your online build it changes the engine back to eTorque. You can select ECO Diesel as well but not standard 5.7L. Today, was able to configure a Limited with Equipment 1 package (there is no Level 2) and standard 5.7L.

That's interesting, I wonder why they shifted the etorque focus towards the Laramies? I currently have a 4th gen longhorn and am waiting to see how the 2021's shake out in terms of uconnect 5 and which trim level I can get without etorque. I wouldn't mind staying with a longhorn at all but I'll take my time deciding and seeing how those 21's do when they come out.

Xhumeka

Reaction score
I have a youtube alert for ram 1500 youtube postings (yes, I'm addicted) - and this just popped up into my feed. I think it's very interesting this dealer is publicly backing a 25% off MSRP sale - wish they would be this open in Canada! (then again, after paying close attention they say "could" - is this an example of a dealer applying every incentive possible, and when you show up only 1 or 2 apply to you?)

BugGuy

Reaction score
I have a youtube alert for ram 1500 youtube postings (yes, I'm addicted) - and this just popped up into my feed. I think it's very interesting this dealer is publicly backing a 25% off MSRP sale - wish they would be this open in Canada! (then again, after paying close attention they say "could" - is this an example of a dealer applying every incentive possible, and when you show up only 1 or 2 apply to you?)

imo, "could" definitely gives them an out, and I would be wary of their offer. One Nissan dealer here was saying "guranteed $4500 in trade". Since i had a piece of crap, I thought this was going to be a god send for me. Come to find out, they were just keeping the incentives. How are you giving me $4500 in trade if you're keeping the incentives I would get anyway???

fleetfoot5000

Reaction score
February 20th, 2020

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to this forum and specifically this thread I will pay forward the exact details of my real, actual, 25% off MSRP deal today.

Worked with Mark Setaro and Bob Fedor
Milford Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
1470 Boston Post Road Milford CT 06460

2020 RAM 1500 Limited 4 X 4 Crew Cab (White with Black Interior)
Base Price $56,965
Options $14,045
Destination $1,695
MSRP $69,315
(The only remaining options I do not have is Ivory paint, tonneau bed cover, retractable bed step, 33 gallon gas tank, split tail gate and engine block heater)

Invoice price shown and offered from dealer: $63,419
Hold back reduction offered: $2,029
Inventory Reduction Discount offered: $1,000
Offered Sell Price $60,390
I negotiated down to $58,890 for the final sell price and they took it with no push back because I had a 2019 for less money and very similar options ready as my back up.

Incentives and Rebates I qualified for:
39CLH $3,000 Truck Month (This came out today- dealer gave me this)
44CLA4 $1,000 Total Loss Direct (My last truck was totaled in a head on collision in November and FCA sent this certificate to the insurance company)
20CL1 $1,000 Retail Consumer Cash (Dealer gave me this)
38CLY1 $500 National Association Realtors (I am a member of NAR- brought my membership card)
20CLA1 $500 Retail Bonus Cash (Dealer gave me this)
45CLK9 $250 Ram Bonus Cash Coupon (Dealer gave me this)
40CL1 $500 TIPP 3B Owner Program (Coupon I got in the mail- but don't worry if you threw it out the dealer can find online if they sent it to you so ask!)
Total $6,750

Final Price: $52,140
Sales Tax 7.75% (on sale price before rebate and luxury tax is included): $4,563
Dealer Fee: $499
DMV/ Registration: $252
Total cost listed on this impossible to read yellow, dot matrix, dealer long bill of sale form was $57,454

I took my time and started looking in December, by January I had a great pulse on the entire RAM 1500 market and here we are mid February and when the $3,000 Truck Month Incentive popped up for 10 days I knew it was a no brainer.

No trade, as I said my last truck (2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4 x 4 Crew Cab- well optioned) was totaled the day after Thanksgiving as a drunk driver hit me head on in an F350 Super Duty I was already approved from a local credit union for 3.14% for 84 months which they could not beat and I put $27,454 down to round my finance amount to an even $30,000 and my payments are $398.00

I did not finance with Chrysler Capital, refused every single thing they tried to sell me and left my deposit at the dealership as well as my insurance card, plates and registration. They said to come back tomorrow after the bank wire and the truck will be detailed and ready to roll.

All the best in your search- your patience will be rewarded.
Chris

Attachments

• 2020 RAM 1500 Limited 4x4 Crew Cab Milford CT 2.20.2020.pdf
    95.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2020 RAM 1500 Exterior.jpg
    2020 RAM 1500 Exterior.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7153.JPG
    IMG_7153.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 70

fleetfoot5000

Reaction score
Same question. My local dealer is five minutes away. There's a truck at a dealer an hour from here that while not configured exactly as I'd choose if I ordered, is close enough that I could be happy with it.

Wondering if I should email my local dealer with the VIN of the truck that's an hour away and ask them what they can do.

When I bought my truck I used this exact scenario to my favor. Here's how it played out. I had my local dealer here in CT price up a 2019 RAM 1500 Limited 4 x 4 Crew Cab in Delmonico Red that I said I was very interested in they sourced from a dealer in NY. Now, what I really wanted the White 2020 RAM 1500 Limited 4 x 4 Crew Cab truck on the lot in CT but I didn't want to pay for it and I knew it had sat there since October of 2019. So what I did was let them make me an offer on the Red 2019 in NY truck and when the sales manager realized I was serious he said "you know Chris, I have a White 2020 Limited on my lot with very similar options and I could get you a very aggressive price, very close to the 2019 because it's my truck and it's been here for a while". The rest was history and I bought the truck but the dealer absolutely confirmed he made more moving his truck and also eluded to needing to move that specific truck because they finance them and after a certain period of time interest starts to kick in. I dealt with the owner of the dealership and it's the third truck I have bought from this dealer so I believe the conversation they shared to be true.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that’s a great deal (y)

I think it’s much harder to get such an aggressive dealer discount on some of the trucks that are loaded to the gills with options, but buying a limited at Laramie pricing is a pretty easy decision haha. That 3k rebate was definitely a huge plus too. Well done.

fleetfoot5000

Reaction score
that’s a great deal (y)

I think it’s much harder to get such an aggressive dealer discount on some of the trucks that are loaded to the gills with options, but buying a limited at Laramie pricing is a pretty easy decision haha. That 3k rebate was definitely a huge plus too. Well done.
Thanks Silver Surfer- the 3K was incredible. I always thought it was easier to negotiate on well optioned vehicles loaded to the gills as you say then lower priced and lesser optioned vehicles because more people want the lower priced inventory and the people who can afford the higher priced inventory are more patient in nevitiagions. But honestly it’s all just my opinion I really don’t know for a fact the actual data points.

Users who are viewing this thread