5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preferred engine choice: 6.4 SRT or 3.0 turbo or...

Preferred engine:

• 5.7 hemi (395 hp)

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • 6.4 hemi (470 hp)

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • 3.0 hurricane turbo (400 hp)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • 3.0 hurricane HO turbo (500 hp)

• 3.0 ecodiesel (260 hp)

• a hybrid of some sort

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I feel like such a hypocrite saying I want a hybrid lol but I honestly wish I could keep the hemi and add a hybrid system that even allows something small like 20 miles of all electric range. I live in a very suburban/city area so all my stuff is short trips so if I could avoid getting 10mpg on 5 mile trips it would add up! And hey if that battery power could be combined with the hemi to make it even quicker in some kind of sport mode or even tow/haul mode that would be awesome too!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
But this same logic applies to every clean sheet turbo gas engine produced in the modern era.

The Hurricane, like the 2.7 Ecoboost, 2017+ 3.5 Ecoboost, and 2.7 I4 GM - just to name the relevant half ton options - were also all designed from inception to operate under constant boost. There are no naturally aspirated equivalents of those engines. They are not fragile.

They are built with exactly this use case and load in mind.

This is not the same as bolting an eBay turbo to your buddies sweet 97 civic.

And this coming from someone lamenting the demise of the v8, who would prefer the Hemi live on forever, especially as a 6.4 in the Ram! Got me defending the new turbo options simply because this kind of thinking is archaic and no longer applicable.

No one claimed it's the same as bolting on a turbo to a civic. I'm saying, despite all the "modern" turbo engines and the power they make, not one of them is used in a truck that works hard, and the reason for that should be quite clear.

It wouldn't surprise me if in a number of years regulation absolutely forces turbos into a heavy duty. But when you look in the past and current age, where auto makers still have a choice, they're choosing big v8's over turbos for a reason.

Edit: I'm just going to exit this thread because I think I've said everything I can to explain my opinion. Not trying to put down anyone else's preference, this is simply mine based on facts as I see them.

Last edited:

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
lol but ya ain't haulin a trailer with that, are ya?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
People lost their sh!t when they put a v6 in the ford GT, but I think it holds its own pretty well.
I fail to see how that has any reliance to the quoted comment.

lol but ya ain't haulin a trailer with that, are ya?
I guess the answer is ain't hauling anything. Not even a carbon fiber canoe.
1675642852904.png
1675642870281.png
1675642927413.png

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
People lost their sh!t when they put a v6 in the ford GT, but I think it holds its own pretty well.
They sho did and I agree with you it works for a GT40; but there is a long throw between runnin LeMans and runnin crappy boat launch lol

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They sho did and I agree with you it works for a GT40; but there is a long throw between runnin LeMans and runnin crappy boat launch lol
You don’t choose a scapel when you need a chainsaw.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No one claimed it's the same as bolting on a turbo to a civic. I'm saying, despite all the "modern" turbo engines and the power they make, not one of them is used in a truck that works hard, and the reason for that should be quite clear.

It wouldn't surprise me if in a number of years regulation absolutely forces turbos into a heavy duty. But when you look in the past and current age, where auto makers still have a choice, they're choosing big v8's over turbos for a reason.

Edit: I'm just going to exit this thread because I think I've said everything I can to explain my opinion. Not trying to put down anyone else's preference, this is simply mine based on facts as I see them.

Hey sorry man, I didn’t mean to go overboard a bit there. I am enjoying the discussion and don’t want to drive anyone off!

When I said the thinking was archaic, rest assured I’m including my own thinking. I was very opposed to the turbo six in 2015. Wanted to try the aluminum f150, and living at elevation in Colorado all dealers carried was the EcoBoost. I fought it a long time but finally took the leap on a smoking deal. That led to even more research, community involvement, and of course 7 years of ownership.

To say my mind was changed would be an understatement. For putting in work, these turbo gas engines are unbelievable. For getting good mpg, sounding cool, having character, or being easy to work on they are far from the mark.

But I’m not building houses anymore, so my truck needs are as a toy and family hauler. I’d like the character of a v8 and would like to hold onto it long term - simplicity (as simple as modern engines get anyway).

But I’ll point out I don’t mean to conflate complexity and unreliability. I don’t think these turbo motors have any more issues than the next. It’s just that when they do… look out. It’s all gotta come out.

But I digress…

I think you raise a fair point about the HDs. Why wouldn’t they use one of these gas turbo jobs they already have?

I’ve long wondered myself what an eco boost would work like in a super duty. Heat is the biggest issue with boost, and it’s not managed well in the half tons. But an HDs cooling stack could be interesting! Especially commercially, a lot of HDs need the payload but not so much the towing. Most of the trades bring everything they got everywhere they go.

In any case my guesses as to why we don’t see them in the HDs:

1) Complexity - the only on-paper benefit to the turbo small gas engine is gaming the EPA numbers. And I emphasize gaming. As long as HDs aren’t beholden to that, no need to add complexity.

2) Fleet managers - no manufacture would risk the fleet business by going first with this approach. Real or perceived, it’s too complex. And over time, if not already, it will be clear as day that turbo small gas engines actually get worse mpg than big v8s under load like towing. But they are great for high idle applications.

3) Consumer perception - I’d wager more people share your viewpoint than mine. Doubly so for the traditional HD buyer who’s choosing gas because they’re already leery of the complex diesel.

4) Gas engine innovation still brings dollars. See the spike when ram replaced the 5.7 with the 6.4, and for ford when the 7.3 Godzilla came out. Against the data, GM 6.6 sales seem level with the prior 6.0(???).

Users who are viewing this thread