5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PPF horror story - don't be like me

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
More photos.
Holy crap. That‘s incredible.
Let us know how it goes after you go back to the shop.

If he doesn’t want to play ball, I’d keep plastering photos on Yelp & FB everyday until he agrees to pay for the damage.

dtlrshp

Reaction score
There becomes a point where one should just give up on a trade skill. This never should have been sold to you as a professional service.

My whole car is PPF'd as well.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
That redefines the word horrific. So sorry to see that. I really hope you get them to pay for the repairs. Although with all the painting you will have to get done it may never be the same as new unfortunately. I would try to get my money back for the job and then the cost of restoring to new at a reputable body shop. SO ANNOYING.

Smashe

Reaction score
Man, i had a VERY similar situation on my 2021 as well. Took my truck to a very reputable tint/ppf shop. Same crap, cut marks thru the ppf film into the paint, uneven cuts, and severe peeling everywhere. I made the mistake of taking it back to him to redo it, picked the truck up with an 8 inch razor cut all the way across the grille, and the film still looked like crap! I made him buy me an entire new grille. Bit i have a night edition so everything came primered i had to have it painted. Absolute NIGHTMARE! He owned up to everything and was very apologetic about it. I still have the film on and I'm contemplating removing it all together. Seriously what a headache i wish i had never got ppf. Ugh

Rmazzei

Reaction score
Man, i had a VERY similar situation on my 2021 as well. Took my truck to a very reputable tint/ppf shop. Same crap, cut marks thru the ppf film into the paint, uneven cuts, and severe peeling everywhere. I made the mistake of taking it back to him to redo it, picked the truck up with an 8 inch razor cut all the way across the grille, and the film still looked like crap! I made him buy me an entire new grille. Bit i have a night edition so everything came primered i had to have it painted. Absolute NIGHTMARE! He owned up to everything and was very apologetic about it. I still have the film on and I'm contemplating removing it all together. Seriously what a headache i wish i had never got ppf. Ugh
Was this a certified installer or just someone who installs ppf? If it was a certified installer what type of ppf was it? Expel, Sun-tek etc? These come with nationwide warranty. you have a problem with the installer you go to them.

Duran

Reaction score
Some of you fellas may be in one of the Facebook groups where I initially posted photos of this, but didn't go into detail. Wanted to share my experience as well as get the name out there of the scumbag who's responsible.

Bought a new truck a few weeks ago. Decided I wanted to get PPF on the painted front bumper (my last truck had some rock chips - not horrendous, but wanted this truck protected while it was still new), as well as the rocker/fender in front of the rear wheels because it gets sand blasted over time from debris kicked up by the front wheels. Called around several shops I've used for tint before that I know and trust, but they were all booked out for 2 months. Normally I'd have waited, but I had a vacation trip to Florida coming up (am there now), and really wanted the protection before putting on nearly 2K highway miles. So I kept calling around.

Found this shop and reached out. Pro Finish Coating Solutions LLC

The owner/operator, Andrew Augustine, was able to get me in a few days before my trip. Leaving the vehicle overnight was not feasible for me, so he accommodated my request to release the vehicle as soon as he was finished. I worked all night, then went to his shop, and waited there patiently for 5 hours while he did the job. His shop is clean and professional - not world class, but better than some places I've been. Up to this point, I had no reason to doubt his ability to do the job, and based on his few (but all very positive reviews), I trusted him.

Red flags I should have caught:
1. Few reviews, most of which were for paint correction and coatings... I think only 1 mentioned clear bra.
2. Business had only been registered for about 2 years. PPF (particularly bulk cut) is apparently an art that really takes time to master.
3. I told him I wanted computer cut film, but after arriving for my appointment, he informed me something happened and he would have to bulk cut it (which he said he was capable of).
4. Around the 3 hour mark he came into the waiting area to grab more film - said he had cut a piece too short. No big deal I thought. Turns out it was the bumper piece, the largest/most difficult part of the job.
5. Never offered to have me check out the job before leaving. Granted, not every place will do this, and it always felt a little rude to ask since you're essentially doubting their ability. I did jokingly say I hope it didn't give him too much trouble (since it took awhile and he had to cut more film) - he acted like everything was fine.
6. I didn't closely inspect the job before paying or leaving (I needlessly trusted everything went okay, and after being there for 5 hours, being awake all night, and my wife bugging when I'd be home, I just wanted to get out of there).

After getting home, I started to inspect the install. There were some air bubbles and wet areas under the film, but I figured this was normal since it was just installed and would fix itself as it dried out. But then I started to notice razor cut marks in the paint. The closer I looked, the more I saw. It became painfully obvious he had no real plan on how he was going to cut the film. There were cut marks on the fog light trim, air dam, different and different spots on the bumper and rear rockers/fenders. Remember how I mentioned he had to cut the bumper piece 2 times? That became obvious when I saw there were cut marks in close, but different, areas of the bumper. Then I started to notice the film itself just looked like crap. Lifting edges that were hidden underneath and behind the plastic trim, completely asymmetrical cuts on each side, and incomplete coverage. I was fuming.

New truck, just trying to get the thing protected before I go on a trip, and I end up worse off than had I just left everything alone and waited for a more reputable shop to do the work. So, I tried reaching out to him in the later hours of the evening. I was polite, clearly stated my concerns, and wanted to know how he could resolve it. Crickets... Tried calling him the next day, and he did not answer. Sent him a message on Facebook (where we had also communicated), and it's still unread. Gave it a few more days before I texted him (from a different phone) asking to schedule a new job. He immediately replied, so it's now obvious that this motherfucker is trying to ghost me. I'm not sure how he thinks that's going to work out well for him or his business, but so far, that's the path he's on.

Until I get back from my vacation, I can't go to his shop (which is 45 minutes away from home, so that doesn't help either). I've already filed a dispute for the payment, and am considering legal action, but I have no idea if his LLC has insurance or assets to cover the damage. My insurance did say they would pay for the damage, but obviously I'd prefer not to file a claim. What a **** show.
Wow i thought i was bad a wrapping. Sorry to hear and see the work man id be pissed too. Hope you get your money back and then some. Did you post your pics of his work on his media. ?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A little more info I may have left out. This was Suntek PPF, but as far as I can tell he's not an authorized installer. I don't even see him listed on Ceramic Pro as an installer, despite him heavily pushing their lineup of products and having photos of attending their training.

Still no response from the scumbag. I don't have the patience to drive an hour out to his shop and to maybe find him there. Suing him has also become less appealing since it will likely take several hours across several days and take who knows how long for the entire process. For now, I've decided to lean on my insurance.

Photos after $3,000 to repair the damage.

451A4696-3F4A-4B76-BF98-4761500D1741.jpeg CCABABFC-DF6E-4DEA-9AE5-248CFF4C87B1.jpeg 1B52D4B4-8665-4E1B-8690-35964EE54874.jpeg 4882C187-26EF-4E3F-B417-BED6E1BA0C96.jpeg

Just kidding. That is the initial estimate from Geico though. They are willing to fix everything and replace the PPF at a qualified shop which sounds great. The photos are of my truck as it currently sits, still knifed up (and bubbling rear quarter PPF lol). But my point is the damage that occurred isn't noticeable unless you were told exactly where to look, which has got me thinking...

I am a little fearful of going through with a repair due to needing paint blend and repaints of the afflicted areas - will the body shop get everything perfect the first time? Will the paint be as durable as factory? Will the repaint be more noticeable than the hairline cuts? The new PPF probably couldn't be applied for 30-60 days either while the paint cures, opening up the chance for the new paint to get some abuse before it's even protected. I also can't help but think the $3,000 would feel better in my pocket than fixing exterior paint that will inevitably get beat up as life goes on.

The only real concern I have about not fixing everything is this:
The truck must have been on the lot for awhile because the first thing I noticed was the orange rust along the edges of the stripes. The installer had used a razor blade to trim one large piece of vinyl tape to look like individual pieces while on the truck and had cut through the paint into the bare metal.
I can deal with hairline cuts. I can't deal with hairline rust. The majority of the marks don't appear that deep - but a few might be, and for those I could try touch-up paint (they're not in obvious spots anyway). The truck was just sitting along the Florida coast for a week, covered in salt spray by the end, and I haven't found any trace of rust in afflicted areas. Maybe a good sign? Or maybe it needs more time to set in...

Guess I'm curious what you guys would do. In reality, my truck looks fine. I'm not losing sleep over the ordeal anymore. Just need to make a decision on how to move on from here.

Last edited:

Rmazzei

Reaction score
A little more info I may have left out. This was Suntek PPF, but as far as I can tell he's not an authorized installer. I don't even see him listed on Ceramic Pro as an installer, despite him heavily pushing their lineup of products and having photos of attending their training.

Still no response from the scumbag. I don't have the patience to drive an hour out to his shop and to maybe find him there. Suing him has also become less appealing since it will likely take several hours across several days and take who knows how long for the entire process. For now, I've decided to lean on my insurance.

Photos after $3,000 to repair the damage.

View attachment 96927 View attachment 96928 View attachment 96929 View attachment 96930

Just kidding. That is the initial estimate from Geico though. They are willing to fix everything and replace the PPF at a qualified shop which sounds great. The photos are of my truck as it currently sits, still knifed up (and bubbling rear quarter PPF lol). But my point is the damage that occurred isn't noticeable unless you were told exactly where to look, which has got me thinking...

I am a little fearful of going through with a repair due to needing paint blend and repaints of the afflicted areas - will the body shop get everything perfect the first time? Will the paint be as durable as factory? Will the repaint be more noticeable than the hairline cuts? I also can't help but think the $3,000 would feel better in my pocket than fixing exterior paint that will inevitably get beat up as life goes on.

The only real concern I have about not fixing everything is this:

I can deal with hairline cuts. I can't deal with hairline rust. The majority of the marks don't appear that deep - but a few might be, and for those I could try touch-up paint (they're not in obvious spots anyway). The truck was just sitting along the Florida coast for a week, covered in salt spray by the end, and I haven't found any trace of rust in afflicted areas. Maybe a good sign? Or maybe it needs more time to set in...

Guess I'm curious what you guys would do. In reality, my truck looks fine. I'm not losing sleep over the ordeal anymore. Just need to make a decision on how to move on from here.
1) you state Geico? so your car insurance is covering this? that surprises me.
2) did they installer give you a registration card with the job listing the Product family, Master roll Lot # etc? If not you did not use an authorized installer.

3) The cut marks ect. are they in the PPF or in the clear coat or thru pain down to metal? This all matters because if it is in the PPF hot water and a heat gun at a qualified installer will fix it. If it is into the clear the PPF should cover it and be barley noticeable if at all. The Sun-Tek PPF (assuming the Reaction line) is far superior shine to the clear coat. If they are into the paint you need to see a body shop to assess the damage.

How much did you pay for the work originally? You mention $3000 to repair a full PPF should have cost you a lot more than that.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. I wouldn't think this would be covered by insurance at all?
Weird. lol
Why not? Part of why we pay for insurance is to cover against unexpected damage. Comprehensive pretty much covers everything except collisions with vehicles/property. Was a little challenging explaining what happened over the phone to start the claim, but that's it - the adjuster was completely understanding about getting this taken care of when he heard what happened.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Same here. I wouldn't think this would be covered by insurance at all?
Weird. lol
I'm not surprised by this. What did surprise me is when my neighbor's tree fell on my son's car, parked in my driveway. Neighbor's car insurance paid to fix my son's car. She worked as an insurance adjuster for years, and knew all the ins and outs of the insurance game to get them to cover it.

NWRogue

Reaction score
I'm not surprised by this. What did surprise me is when my neighbor's tree fell on my son's car, parked in my driveway. Neighbor's car insurance paid to fix my son's car. She worked as an insurance adjuster for years, and knew all the ins and outs of the insurance game to get them to cover it.
should have been covered by neighbors home owners insurance as well, but way better to use auto if possible. the premium hit is much less painful.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
should have been covered by neighbors home owners insurance as well, but way better to use auto if possible. the premium hit is much less painful.
Nope, her home owners wouldn't cover it since it was considered an act of nature and because the damage occurred on my property. My home owners would have covered it, but either my son, or more likely, I would have had to cover the $500 deductible. I should probably mention that my neighbor is also my aunt, and she felt really bad about it LOL. Her auto insurance rates were not affected by the claim.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
So here's the rub, if you just eat it this s.o.b. will get who knows how many more jobs and probably **** those all up too. Glad you're insurance has got your back, if you go through them they should go after the s.o.b. .... and he can't duck them :D

834k3r

Reaction score
I would have it repaired.

The idea of a "free" $3000 in my pocket is enticing for sure, but if I was in your position I would see the cuts and peeling every time I got in the truck and it would drive me insane. When you go to the paint shop I would specify you're going to put PPF on top of the paint; maybe they can give you a better idea of cure time. Again, I'd have it fixed just to keep me from re-living the horror every time I got in the truck.

#YMMV

Rmazzei

Reaction score
I would have it repaired.

The idea of a "free" $3000 in my pocket is enticing for sure, but if I was in your position I would see the cuts and peeling every time I got in the truck and it would drive me insane. When you go to the paint shop I would specify you're going to put PPF on top of the paint; maybe they can give you a better idea of cure time. Again, I'd have it fixed just to keep me from re-living the horror every time I got in the truck.

#YMMV
2-3 months cure time before applying PPF over bodyshop paint

tones2SS

Reaction score
Why not? Part of why we pay for insurance is to cover against unexpected damage. Comprehensive pretty much covers everything except collisions with vehicles/property. Was a little challenging explaining what happened over the phone to start the claim, but that's it - the adjuster was completely understanding about getting this taken care of when he heard what happened.
That's great news!!!
I'm glad that it worked out for you. This is good to know in case this happens to someone else in the future.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow that's pathetic. I've had all my cars PPFd and it is 100% up to the installer to make the job look good.
The fact he said he could do it in 5 hours is mind blowing. My detailer usually has my cars for about a week to properly prep the paint for PPF.
Even a brand new car from the factory has a lot of contamination in the paint and defects, he corrects all of these before application.

There's nothing wrong with bulking, if the installer is good. My installer prefers to bulk most things as he said a lot of the computer templates don't allow him to properly wrap edges etc.

Glad insurance is taking care of it for you. Don't be hesitant to get it done by a proper shop. The investment is well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread