5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PPF horror story - don't be like me

cervelo15

Reaction score
I just picked my truck up last night after they installed a full frontal PPF on mine. Amazing results, so I agree with everyone, it does make a difference of who you take it to. I also checked out his FB before hand to see what kind of cars he was doing, so when I was seeing Ferraris, Porsches and Vettes being posted, I knew I'd be in good hands.

LouNY

Reaction score
Damn I'm feeling old, I had no idea what PPF was till reading this thread and researching it a bit.
Seems like an expensive way to get some paint protection.
I thing I've noticed is that nothing I was or read mentioned anything about brush makes,
from trees and shrubs.
And then bird droppings and bugs will etch into the PPF, what are you gaining?
I certainly couldn't see a cost benefit gain for my truck which gets put in some nasty places occasionally.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn I'm feeling old, I had no idea what PPF was till reading this thread and researching it a bit.
Seems like an expensive way to get some paint protection.
I thing I've noticed is that nothing I was or read mentioned anything about brush makes,
from trees and shrubs.
And then bird droppings and bugs will etch into the PPF, what are you gaining?
I certainly couldn't see a cost benefit gain for my truck which gets put in some nasty places occasionally.
PPF would absolutely protect against brush marks, scratches etc. The newer films are "self healing" meaning if they get a scratch they will "heal" with a little bit of heat from an air gun etc.

Think if the PPF as a sacrificial layer for your paint. It will do it's job for 5-10 years and then you can remove and reapply and still have factory fresh/perfect paint under.

The origin purpose of PPF was for military use on the leading edge of helicopter blades.

cervelo15

Reaction score
PPF would absolutely protect against brush marks, scratches etc. The newer films are "self healing" meaning if they get a scratch they will "heal" with a little bit of heat from an air gun etc.

Think if the PPF as a sacrificial layer for your paint. It will do it's job for 5-10 years and then you can remove and reapply and still have factory fresh/perfect paint under.

The origin purpose of PPF was for military use on the leading edge of helicopter blades.
And to add to this, top if off with a ceramic coating (which is getting done on my truck today) and you have an amazing water sheeting and dirt/contaminant resistance on top of the PPF. For instance, imagine driving miles through an area and having the front of your truck peppered with bug guts. With PPF (and even the Ceramic coating), all you need is a wet microfiber to wipe the guts off. 5 mins of work vs. an hour or more with a degreaser and hell of a lot of elbow grease.

I'm all about low maintenance these days to spend more time on the saddle of my bike and with my family.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And to add to this, top if off with a ceramic coating (which is getting done on my truck today) and you have an amazing water sheeting and dirt/contaminant resistance on top of the PPF. For instance, imagine driving miles through an area and having the front of your truck peppered with bug guts. With PPF (and even the Ceramic coating), all you need is a wet microfiber to wipe the guts off. 5 mins of work vs. an hour or more with a degreaser and hell of a lot of elbow grease.

I'm all about low maintenance these days to spend more time on the saddle of my bike and with my family.
Yep. My truck is coated with Cquartz on top of PPF.

Attachments

• 20200620_171639.jpg
    20200620_171639.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 45

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some detailers can do some pretty amazing paint correction.

Have you checked with any?

Rmazzei

Reaction score
Peels off with a heat gun fairly easily. Stuff you're seeing checker and peeling is the old school early stuff.
Modern quality ppf doesn't do that.
I have a rock hit on the panel below the headlight, the paint is fine but the film is damaged (did its job), I may take the panel off and have it refilmed View attachment 96577
If this is SunTeck all you need to do is pour hot water on it. The PPF is self healing

Users who are viewing this thread