5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power tailgate?

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
So I've tried reading and searching for those that have successfully been able to code the power tailgate to work by adding a new key fob but have not seen a definitive answer. I had leased a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie that had the power tailgate etc.. and when I turned it in for my 2021 Rebel, I just found my second key for the Laramie and was wondering if I can program that fob to work with my current vehicle and enable remote tailgate.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I've tried reading and searching for those that have successfully been able to code the power tailgate to work by adding a new key fob but have not seen a definitive answer. I had leased a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie that had the power tailgate etc.. and when I turned it in for my 2021 Rebel, I just found my second key for the Laramie and was wondering if I can program that fob to work with my current vehicle and enable remote tailgate.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you
No, it has to be a virgin fob. One that is already programmed can’t be reprogrammed to another vehicle.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
No, it has to be a virgin fob. One that is already programmed can’t be reprogrammed to another vehicle.
And once I order virgin fobs, it’s just as simple as enabling it on Alfa and that’s it?

by the way, I’ll be doing the install either tomorrow or Tuesday for the CHMSL and the rearview mirror! I have to take my time taking off the headliner on the driver side and taking out the mirror (without braking anything). I also ordered that rubber stripping piece you told me about to use instead of silicone and I should get it in tomorrow!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And once I order virgin fobs, it’s just as simple as enabling it on Alfa and that’s it?

by the way, I’ll be doing the install either tomorrow or Tuesday for the CHMSL and the rearview mirror! I have to take my time taking off the headliner on the driver side and taking out the mirror (without braking anything). I also ordered that rubber stripping piece you told me about to use instead of silicone and I should get it in tomorrow!
No, there is no setting in AlfaOBD to enable remote tailgate release. That feature is automatically live in all 5th gen RF Hubs, just waiting for the command from a fob that has the button for it. All you have to do is buy the fob that has the remote tailgate release button, and have the dealer program the fob.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
So basically that’s it... I thought I had to get an actual module or something to have my tailgate go down with the remote Neil definitely look into this in the near future!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So basically that’s it... I thought I had to get an actual module or something to have my tailgate go down with the remote Neil definitely look into this in the near future!
No, but you do want to make sure you have the tailgate dampener strut installed so the tailgate doesn’t slam down when you remotely open it.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
No, but you do want to make sure you have the tailgate dampener strut installed so the tailgate doesn’t slam down when you remotely open it.
Yeah my vehicle has the dampener. When I open it, it slowly opens so it doesn’t slam shut

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also if you have tonneau Cover make sure it can drop down. The pressure from my tonneau Cover latched shut doesn't oy for it to drop on its own.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
So I just ordered the fob so the dealer can activate it. Looking at my overhead console since I have the panoramic sunroof etc.. except the tailgate drop, if I order the one that I see online that has it do I need to have it coded as well to work or will it just work once I connect my current harness to it?

Papabear_08

Reaction score
So I just ordered the fob so the dealer can activate it. Looking at my overhead console since I have the panoramic sunroof etc.. except the tailgate drop, if I order the one that I see online that has it do I need to have it coded as well to work or will it just work once I connect my current harness to it?
Did the key do the trick? I have a 21 Rebel that I want to add this too. Also remote start but I know that’s another kit I’d have to buy. I don’t really care about the button on the interior. I also read you can program your own key through Alfaobd as long as you get the 4 digit pin from your dealer to do so.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
Did the key do the trick? I have a 21 Rebel that I want to add this too. Also remote start but I know that’s another kit I’d have to buy. I don’t really care about the button on the interior. I also read you can program your own key through Alfaobd as long as you get the 4 digit pin from your dealer to do so.
Yeah the fob definitely worked after the dealer programmed the key. I heard about that 4 digit pin but I didn’t have Alfa at the time and the dealer basically charged me $60 to program it which wasn’t bad at all. I haven’t bought the overhead console yet but I’m still wondering if it will work on its own or will it need coding....

Evank33

Reaction score
Yeah the fob definitely worked after the dealer programmed the key. I heard about that 4 digit pin but I didn’t have Alfa at the time and the dealer basically charged me $60 to program it which wasn’t bad at all. I haven’t bought the overhead console yet but I’m still wondering if it will work on its own or will it need coding....
The overhead console is plug and play for the tailgate. I've had it about 6 months now and no issues. I just need to get the key now to complete it.

Last edited:

Julio13

Reaction score
I already bought new key fob with uncut key if I have a locksmith program it will the tailgate release work or does the dealer actually have to activate the tailgate release option 2021 ram 1500 big horn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evank33

Reaction score
Once the key is programmed it'll work. The fob has to be brand new. It will not work if the fob was paired to a vehicle before.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I already bought new key fob with uncut key if I have a locksmith program it will the tailgate release work or does the dealer actually have to activate the tailgate release option 2021 ram 1500 big horn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like evank33 mentioned, it’ll just work. Also, it’s been discovered that the circuit for the release button is already on the fob circuit board (and remote start also) for the HD Rams, so I’m guessing they are there on the DT fobs. You could buy some 4 pin buttons, and solder them in place. You won’t have the labeling on the fob overlay, but they will work when pressed. This will eliminate a dealer visit altogether if you have AlfaOBD to enable remote start (tailgate remote release will work no matter what).
Link to the button assortment that was used-

Users who are viewing this thread