5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Side Step Ripped off

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
Was in a guided car wash and on of their machines ripped the side step off. I had the truck raised to OR2 and the steps deployed so I know it cleared the tire guiding rails. I filed a claim with their insurance.

My question is... does anyone know if just the brackets that connect the step to the deployed can be bought? It looks like that’s all that’s broken was the bracket that connects it. Or at least I hope that’s all that was broken.

geotex1

Reaction score
So they were deployed through the carwash? I know the OE manufacturer of the step used to have a pretty clear warning that they should be stowed through a carwash.

I just purchased the Mopar kit, but haven't received it yet. If there's a parts list, I'll share.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
So they were deployed through the carwash? I know the OE manufacturer of the step used to have a pretty clear warning that they should be stowed through a carwash.

I just purchased the Mopar kit, but haven't received it yet. If there's a parts list, I'll share.
Yeah. Hindsight is 20/20. Shouldn’t have had them deployed. But now just want to get it fixed. Interesting thing is only the driver side came off. The passenger side was completely fine.

RenoRam

Reaction score
The steps deployed with the doors closed?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably to get the steps clean and rockers where the steps would normally be closed against. But yea not a good idea as they stick out pretty far deployed.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Yikes - I do the same in my local car wash and have not had a problem so far. I'll now stop - did not read that in the manual but it must be there.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
Yeah. Was trying to get them clean. Stupid decision, obviously. I’m beating myself up over it. Had the truck 2 weeks and it’s been almost perfect other than me being a dumba**

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I deploy mine when hand washing so I can clean them and the area they cover. I can see why you would do this. I don't use automated brush-type carwashes though. They are destructive to the finish and anything they might snag on.

djwdjw

Reaction score

I searched the pdf Ram manuals and it looks like that warning didn't make it to the factory manuals that I could see.

I'll keep mine stowed from now on.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
Just an update on this...
Went by the dealer this morning and they only sell the assembly. So you basically have to buy the whole running board and motors for one side. $600 in parts.

Learn from my mistake and don’t deploy your running boards during car wash.

jimwjones

Reaction score
I usually deploy mine manually at the start of the wash so the workers can spray the tops of the boards off then retract them. I forgot to retract them at my last wash and the drivers side got ripped off. The cast brackets are obviously designed to snap off, so why the heck wont they sell replacement brackets?!! It would probably take about 5 minutes to re-install with new brackets as there is no damage to the boards. Another disappointing event with this truck. I have a 2015 Tahoe with power running boards and they have been through this same car wash 100 times without issue. I have a feeling there is going to be a big demand for those brackets if they ever come available.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update on this...
Went by the dealer this morning and they only sell the assembly. So you basically have to buy the whole running board and motors for one side. $600 in parts.

Learn from my mistake and don’t deploy your running boards during car wash.

If I'm not mistaken, AMP makes the running boards for Ram, so you may want to contact them directly to see if they provide replacement parts. If its a bracket or something simple, I'm willing to bet its used elsewhere, meaning, on the last gen, or on other trucks, etc, etc. I bet you can find your part for cheap. The custom made part is going to be the length of the board itself (plus the Ram logo), and whatever they use to determine the height of the drop when deployed.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Curious how the boards are getting caught in the car wash and what, design wise, might be done to prevent them getting torn off if one accidentally forgets. Not that I am going to try and test it myself :) Yeah, I know: retract them.

I have gone through a few times with the boards out but have stopped that practice after the first report.

technicholas

Reaction score
My driver side ripped off today. Quite odd. What ever happened with yours?

Users who are viewing this thread