5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power side step issues

illucid

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced these issues with the power running boards? Sometimes when pulling out from parking, as I'm driving away, the driver and passenger sidesteps will randomly deploy and then retract. Sometimes just driver, sometimes just passenger. Sometimes only does it once (up and down), sometimes multiple times. Kind of embarrassing as I'm driving away and my steps are randomly going up and down on their own lol. And yes I have cleaned them and there is no mud or anything in the brackets. PFA 20190305_170404.jpg

CMENT

Reaction score
No that issue. But sometimes in cold weather they will take a couple more seconds to retract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kntoys

Reaction score
Mine wont extend in drive and even if deployed by the touchscreen, always retract as soon as put in drive

tuner1129

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced these issues with the power running boards? Sometimes when pulling out from parking, as I'm driving away, the driver and passenger sidesteps will randomly deploy and then retract. Sometimes just driver, sometimes just passenger. Sometimes only does it once (up and down), sometimes multiple times. Kind of embarrassing as I'm driving away and my steps are randomly going up and down on their own lol. And yes I have cleaned them and there is no mud or anything in the brackets. PFA View attachment 17977
I have the same issue, alway do a double take to check if anything got caught but seems just random. Took it to the dealer and of course since they cant reproduce the problem nothing was done.

illucid

Reaction score
I have the same issue, alway do a double take to check if anything got caught but seems just random. Took it to the dealer and of course since they cant reproduce the problem nothing was done.

Yup I'm assuming that's what they'll say to me too. So there's no recalibration or anything they can do?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced these issues with the power running boards? Sometimes when pulling out from parking, as I'm driving away, the driver and passenger sidesteps will randomly deploy and then retract. Sometimes just driver, sometimes just passenger. Sometimes only does it once (up and down), sometimes multiple times. Kind of embarrassing as I'm driving away and my steps are randomly going up and down on their own lol. And yes I have cleaned them and there is no mud or anything in the brackets. PFA View attachment 17977
Nope. Actually the one thing that works flawlessly on my rig.

CityHicks

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced these issues with the power running boards? Sometimes when pulling out from parking, as I'm driving away, the driver and passenger sidesteps will randomly deploy and then retract. Sometimes just driver, sometimes just passenger. Sometimes only does it once (up and down), sometimes multiple times. Kind of embarrassing as I'm driving away and my steps are randomly going up and down on their own lol. And yes I have cleaned them and there is no mud or anything in the brackets. PFA

I too have this problem. It seems to only happen on the driver side about once or twice a week. Always when backing out of a parking space then when switching to drive and moving forward for about 5-10 seconds. I've been taking note of waiting to make sure I hear the power step retract before I start the truck or take off. It doesn't happen frequently enough to take it to the dealer. Must be gremlins.

IAMKEENINKS

Reaction score
I believe I have the same issue with my power running boards. It's concerning because I park in my garage at home ... and the garage door support is really close to my truck when I back out. I'm worried that I'm going to run into the pillar while the boards are deployed. 80% of the time they retract as expected... within a couple seconds after i close the door. But then 20% of the time, I will notice them retracting about 10 or 15 seconds after I begin to move. I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer ... but I will soon

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I havwe had a set on each of my last 3 trucks, my 03, mt 12, and now my 19.. never had an issue, other than not retracting. and that was a connection problem.. and the grounds on the new truck, you need to make sure it is grounded properly. I did all my own installs myself.

hellmans

Reaction score
does any of your boards make creaking crunching when stepped on??? dont know if this normal or not...almost like body type flex noise

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
does any of your boards make creaking crunching when stepped on??? dont know if this normal or not...almost like body type flex noise
I have had my truck since February and not a single issue with my steps or creaking/crunching noises

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi hellmans,

We certainly understand why this would be concerning! If you end up addressing this with your Ram dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Laramie_2019

Reaction score
I noticed this happens when starting the car during the cycling of the step to close. There must be a slight power disturbance and then when you go to drive off the system wants to make sure they are fully closed so they cycle them down then up.

Users who are viewing this thread