5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Boards

moparleo51

Reaction score
I'll add that I am in Wisconsin. We get roads/buildup like shown in the picture above.

It would be nice to know if the running boards can be disabled if needed (either stay up or stay down), or even taken off so I could sell them and put on a pair of normal nerf bars.
if you decide to take them off and sell them let me know, might be interested i live in ohio.

EJSTX

Reaction score
My passenger side step often deploys slightly and then retracts. Has been doing it since I bought it a couple months ago. Figure I will have it looked at when it goes in for the first oil change

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Word of caution if you buy takeoffs....you must have the wiring harnesses and control box also. They are NOT plug and play.

OP - re your original question...I love mine, and had no issues in the snow.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Word of caution if you buy takeoffs....you must have the wiring harnesses and control box also. They are NOT plug and play.

OP - re your original question...I love mine, and had no issues in the snow.
My dealer told me that if you add the Mopar power running boards to a truck that didn't have them installed at the factory, you wouldn't be able to stow/deploy them with the Unconnect screen. Not a deal breaker but I was concerned about not being able to turn off the automatic deployment of the boards.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
My dealer told me that if you add the Mopar power running boards to a truck that didn't have them installed at the factory, you wouldn't be able to stow/deploy them with the Unconnect screen. Not a deal breaker but I was concerned about not being able to turn off the automatic deployment of the boards.
Your dealer is only giving you a half truth. The installation instructions include the sales code that the dealer is supposed to program in that integrates the steps in to your truck. If they do not do that then you lose some items. But, the boards will still work with opening and closing of doors.
The soft keys, settings, and gauge cluster notifications can all be added by AlfaOBD as well.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your dealer is only giving you a half truth. The installation instructions include the sales code that the dealer is supposed to program in that integrates the steps in to your truck. If they do not do that then you lose some items. But, the boards will still work with opening and closing of doors.
The soft keys, settings, and gauge cluster notifications can all be added by AlfaOBD as well.
I suspected they might be wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I suspected they might be wrong. Thanks for the clarification.
If you use AlfaOBD, like I did, yes you will have all theUconnect controls and cluster notifications, etc. However, only a dealer can program in the sales code. As I understand it, this means that in the unlikely event that your BCM would ever need to be replaced or reprogrammed the PRB settings would be erased, so you'd have to reset them with Alfa.

Users who are viewing this thread