5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Boards can OEM be add?

0051 MAR

Reaction score
Had Mopar power boards installed at dealer today. $210 minus 10% coupon made it $189 out the door including flash. Flashing gives two options to manually control them. Not sure if I'll ever use that option but having them full warrantied made it worth it in my opinion. View attachment 29647
View attachment 29648
Can you share what dealer installed yours? I'd love to call and find out what they did to integrate your uconnect. My dealer couldn't do it.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Can you share what dealer installed yours? I'd love to call and find out what they did to integrate your uconnect. My dealer couldn't do it.
There is a sales code at the back of the instructions. It tells the installer how to add the code. Your dealer needs to RTFM. Print the instructions and highlight it for them if you have to.:)

Last edited:

0051 MAR

Reaction score
There is a sales code at the back of the instructions. It tells the installer how to add the code. Your dealer needs to RTFM. Print the instructions and highlight it for them if you have to.:)
Thank you. The tech said he definitely added the sales code (I made sure to ask specifically). Problem solved though, the controls showed up about 5 hours later. Maybe the computer needed to reset?

0051 MAR

Reaction score
I have a 2020 and just had the 2019 part number installed. They fit and work great, except the uconnect button isn't there. I'll be researching why is didn't show up. Tech at the dealership said it is only available when factory installed, but the posts above suggest otherwise.
Problem solved (somehow). Just went out to the truck and the functions are now in uconnect. Maybe the computer needed to reset?? Only other thing I can think of is that I emailed Mopar and submitted a help request. I had to include my VIN so maybe they did it remotely? Can they do that? Either way it works and I'm stoked!

timtlu

Reaction score
Problem solved (somehow). Just went out to the truck and the functions are now in uconnect. Maybe the computer needed to reset?? Only other thing I can think of is that I emailed Mopar and submitted a help request. I had to include my VIN so maybe they did it remotely? Can they do that? Either way it works and I'm stoked!
Mine took a few hours as well.

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
my previous 19 Laramie i add the amp pwr steps, was very happy with them. my current Limited has the OEM factory pwr steps, nice to extended them when cleaning . other then that i think my amp steps were better. stronger.

ducannn

Reaction score
my previous 19 Laramie i add the amp pwr steps, was very happy with them. my current Limited has the OEM factory pwr steps, nice to extended them when cleaning . other then that i think my amp steps were better. stronger.
Where yours the regular amp power ones or the XL ones? Thanks.

beanz690

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It's my first post on the forum and wanted to say this place was of great help in gathering info before buying my first truck, a pre owned 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport Crew with only 12k miles on it. So far I'm very happy with it but need to add some running boards.

I stumbled upon some used OEM power running boards that were a take off from a limited crew cab they look to be in good shape and the asking price is excellent. My question is would a dealer install a take off part or could I install them myself and have them work without the added feature in the 12" screen? If I can do it myself and have them work with opening and closing the door that is good enough for me.

Thanks in advance!

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I also want to ad the Mopar steps as well just so it a cleaner install compared to the Amp steps.
Has anybody tried to see if you can turn on the function through Alpha OBD?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Hey everyone! It's my first post on the forum and wanted to say this place was of great help in gathering info before buying my first truck, a pre owned 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport Crew with only 12k miles on it. So far I'm very happy with it but need to add some running boards.

I stumbled upon some used OEM power running boards that were a take off from a limited crew cab they look to be in good shape and the asking price is excellent. My question is would a dealer install a take off part or could I install them myself and have them work without the added feature in the 12" screen? If I can do it myself and have them work with opening and closing the door that is good enough for me.

Thanks in advance!
First check to make sure the wiring harness is included with the steps. If it is you can install them yourself or ask your dealer to install them. I don't know what their option is for installing used parts though.
The boards will work without programming on door opening and closing. You'll be missing the integration of the soft button and evic notifications.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score

beanz690

Reaction score
First check to make sure the wiring harness is included with the steps. If it is you can install them yourself or ask your dealer to install them. I don't know what their option is for installing used parts though.
The boards will work without programming on door opening and closing. You'll be missing the integration of the soft button and evic notifications.
They do not come with the additional wiring harness and module included in the power running boards sold by Mopar. Each step has a short wire and plug near the electric motors but that's it.

Scmil

Reaction score
They do not come with the additional wiring harness and module included in the power running boards sold by Mopar. Each step has a short wire and plug near the electric motors but that's it.
If there isn't a module or wiring harness, you can try to contact the dealer to see if they can provide a part number for the harness and module. Or maybe ask the original seller to see if they have it. I dont have OEM power boards, but I do have the AMP steps and they are able to sell individually

beanz690

Reaction score
If there isn't a module or wiring harness, you can try to contact the dealer to see if they can provide a part number for the harness and module. Or maybe ask the original seller to see if they have it. I don't have OEM power boards, but I do have the AMP steps and they are able to sell individually
Another forum member helped me get the part numbers. Combined they will cost around $350 so I think I'm going to pass on the used running boards which would come out to around $900 for them to work plus any modifications along the way. I might as well just wait a bit and maybe get the new ones for 1200-1300.

Scmil

Reaction score
Another forum member helped me get the part numbers. Combined they will cost around $350 so I think I'm going to pass on the used running boards which would come out to around $900 for them to work plus any modifications along the way. I might as well just wait a bit and maybe get the new ones for 1200-1300.
I'd pass as well if that was the case. You can always see if the seller is willing to come down on his price. Hard to sell boards without the harness and module as most people don't want to have to piece parts together.

beanz690

Reaction score
I'd pass as well if that was the case. You can always see if the seller is willing to come down on his price. Hard to sell boards without the harness and module as most people don't want to have to piece parts together.
Yeah I offered him $400 but he said no so I told him glws. He will most likely message me in a few days but even for $400 it might not be worth the potential headache.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Now why on earth would they sell the boards without the harness and module? That will probably swing me into doing the Amps steps instead.

Users who are viewing this thread