5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Boards can OEM be add?

Ajr

Reaction score
I’m close to pulling the trigger on these at my dealer and have a tech buddy that works there who’s gonna install and flash for me

Stuck between these and just getting Amp Research Xtreme with dual motors on em would hate to be out of warranty and have a motor go bad and for $300 extra in cost I think it would be worth having the peace of mind of the boards still working in case a motor on either side ever goes bad in the future

timtlu

Reaction score
I’m close to pulling the trigger on these at my dealer and have a tech buddy that works there who’s gonna install and flash for me

Stuck between these and just getting Amp Research Xtreme with dual motors on em would hate to be out of warranty and have a motor go bad and for $300 extra in cost I think it would be worth having the peace of mind of the boards still working in case a motor on either side ever goes bad in the future
Had Mopar power boards installed at dealer today. $210 minus 10% coupon made it $189 out the door including flash. Flashing gives two options to manually control them. Not sure if I'll ever use that option but having them full warrantied made it worth it in my opinion. 29647

SP1772

Reaction score
Hey just curious what the total price of the power running boards install was. I saw $189, but I’m assuming that was just labor. Thanks!

Had Mopar power boards installed at dealer today. $210 minus 10% coupon made it $189 out the door including flash. Flashing gives two options to manually control them. Not sure if I'll ever use that option but having them full warrantied made it worth it in my opinion. View attachment 29647
View attachment 29648

timtlu

Reaction score
Hey just curious what the total price of the power running boards install was. I saw $189, but I’m assuming that was just labor. Thanks!

Yes $189 was labor. I have a close friend from high school that works in the service department at another Ram dealership. He gets x number of friends/family discounts annually. I believe it was invoice minus 25%. Can't give you an exact price on power running boards because I got both them and the hard trifold tonneau on same ticket, but can guess pretty closely. The running boards are MSRP $1500 while the tonneau is $1050. My receipt shows invoice for running boards at $1200 and tonneau at $710. Then a bulk $611.75 discount on top of those two combined. After taxes on the pre-discounted total, the out the door price for both was $1646.

Working the percentages, that comes out to roughly $1034 for the power boards and $612 for the hard trifold tonneau after tax, shipped.

All of that to directly answer your question (sorry, I like math). But if you don't have a friend in the same place it doesn't help you. To better answer your question, lowest I could find online for the running boards shipped was $1375 through ebay or $1400 through an online dealer site.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had Mopar power boards installed at dealer today. $210 minus 10% coupon made it $189 out the door including flash. Flashing gives two options to manually control them. Not sure if I'll ever use that option but having them full warrantied made it worth it in my opinion. View attachment 29647
View attachment 29648

Thank you so much for posting these pictures!

I had the PRBs installed at my dealer yesterday. From what I had read on here before, I thought there was supposed to be a separate app in Uconnect for manually deploying the PRB. When I picked up my truck, I looked for the app, it wasn't there, and I went back in to talk to the service writer about it. Long story short, I brought the truck home and she was researching how to get the app for the PRBs to show up.

Now that I see where to look (the Steps button in the Controls app), I see that the new button is there and my steps work just like they should. I also have the new setting in Settings for the PRB for Auto or Store. I reckon I am all good.

I'd say you made out like a bandit on the install cost. My dealer quoted me $435 (and I bought the PRBs from them, too). I asked a buddy about it who is the body shop manager at a different Dodge dealer. He checked with his service guys and they told him that $435 was a bargain and I should jump on it because they could not do it for nearly that cheap! They figured the other dealer had never installed a set and had no idea what a PITA it is. I don't know. I just know I'm very happy with them now that I know how to work them manually! :D

Helish1

Reaction score
Thank you so much for posting these pictures!

I had the PRBs installed at my dealer yesterday. From what I had read on here before, I thought there was supposed to be a separate app in Uconnect for manually deploying the PRB. When I picked up my truck, I looked for the app, it wasn't there, and I went back in to talk to the service writer about it. Long story short, I brought the truck home and she was researching how to get the app for the PRBs to show up.

Now that I see where to look (the Steps button in the Controls app), I see that the new button is there and my steps work just like they should. I also have the new setting in Settings for the PRB for Auto or Store. I reckon I am all good.

I'd say you made out like a bandit on the install cost. My dealer quoted me $435 (and I bought the PRBs from them, too). I asked a buddy about it who is the body shop manager at a different Dodge dealer. He checked with his service guys and they told him that $435 was a bargain and I should jump on it because they could not do it for nearly that cheap! They figured the other dealer had never installed a set and had no idea what a PITA it is. I don't know. I just know I'm very happy with them now that I know how to work them manually! :D
That’s a pretty good price for install. My dealer quoted me $660 to install. I’m thinking just buying parts online and installing myself. Then take it to dealer for flash. Can’t be they hard if it’s plug and play.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s a pretty good price for install. My dealer quoted me $660 to install. I’m thinking just buying parts online and installing myself. Then take it to dealer for flash. Can’t be they hard if it’s plug and play.

That is what I was thinking, too... until I downloaded the install instructions that come with the PRB and looked at what all was entailed. It was a lot more work than I was expecting. That plus the fact of being covered by my factory warranty if I had the dealer install it convinced me to just pay them.

jme21

Reaction score
Agreed, thanks timtlu for posting those pictures as I wasn't sure where to look to see if they added the sale code for the power running boards after I had them installed.

I was given a price of $1680 on the power running boards and $195 in labor (3 hrs). Also bought the trailer brake controller and installation and sale code flash. Those were the only two things that I wanted on my Laramie that it didn't come with - had a 15% coupon and they applied it to both parts and labor so I figured it was a good time to get the remaining items done.

Astromere

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with 12” nav and was looking at getting the power running boards installed. Apparently Mopar isn’t officially offering a kit for the 2020. Anyone have experience installing the 2019 part number on the 2020? Is there really a difference or will it work?

Helish1

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with 12” nav and was looking at getting the power running boards installed. Apparently Mopar isn’t officially offering a kit for the 2020. Anyone have experience installing the 2019 part number on the 2020? Is there really a difference or will it work?
I would think they will be the same as the 19. No real changes to the truck that I’m aware of.

Whtscorpion

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn with the 8.4 screen. At the dealer and could not get the factory ones installed. This was after contacting the FCA customer support to verify that the 2019 part number above would work. They said it would. Evidently, there was something already plugged into the control module slot where the boards were supposed to connected and flashed. They have no clue what is plugged in there. Dealer is offering a workaround for now meaning they will operate with the door but not work with the UConnect. At this point they will work the same as the AMP Researched ones so what the heck. Tired of the kids struggling to get in the truck.

I am getting disappointed in the accessory availability for the 2020. Can't get a trailer brake until November, all weather mats were 2019 part number (glad the service guy knew they would fit), and now this B.S. I will keep an eye out and see what changed if they release a 2020 system. Sure it will be a part I can install later to fix it HA!

Jtorres

Reaction score
I have a buddy that that came across a set of PRBs that came off a truck with minor scratches from transportation damage. I ended up with the steps for a $100 but now I’m trying to figure out the part number for the wiring harness. The dealership said he couldn’t find the number. I have a 2019 crew cab with an 8.4 screen. Thanks

Jtorres

Reaction score
I just bought a set and thought Id save few bucks and install myself, not a good plan. Parts guy failed to tell me (probably didn't know) that after install it has to be flashed and configured through mopar website as an add on, of course only dealers can perform this most important step. Brought it to dealer they said it was done but boards would not work. They said it was probably something I did when pinning the supplied plugs and correct MY mistake it would work...wrong. Got the truck home and proceeded to check my wiring and noticed the power wire in the plug hanging a bit so I tried to push it back in the plug and the special proprietary crimp just snapped in half and found another wire severely chafed and it broke as soon as I touched it. I am very careful and checked those wires a couple times on the original install to make sure there was no mistakes and all of a sudden after the dealer does their thing I have two broken wires. Had to make a trip to another dealer an hour away because they are the only ones in the south that had a spare wiring harness to fix the problem. I can't prove it but I have a real good suspicion that the original dealer unplugged the harness under the dash when it didn't work and bugered up my harness. Oh and by the way after the second dealer fixed the issue they had to flash the computer and do the add on in the Mopar website, wasn't done by original dealer that claimed they took care of it. Sorry for the long story but pay a dealership to do the install, not worth the aggravation.

Do you happen to know what the part number for the harness is. I got a set from a buddy that came off a truck with transportation damage ( one scuff) but I have a 2019 crew bighorn. My dealership can’t find the harness. Thanks

hellmans

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn with the 8.4 screen. At the dealer and could not get the factory ones installed. This was after contacting the FCA customer support to verify that the 2019 part number above would work. They said it would. Evidently, there was something already plugged into the control module slot where the boards were supposed to connected and flashed. They have no clue what is plugged in there. Dealer is offering a workaround for now meaning they will operate with the door but not work with the UConnect. At this point they will work the same as the AMP Researched ones so what the heck. Tired of the kids struggling to get in the truck.

I am getting disappointed in the accessory availability for the 2020. Can't get a trailer brake until November, all weather mats were 2019 part number (glad the service guy knew they would fit), and now this B.S. I will keep an eye out and see what changed if they release a 2020 system. Sure it will be a part I can install later to fix it HA!
directions are wrong for wiring that connects at power distribution center..you need a good tech that can read a wiring diagram ,like i had too

Jtorres

Reaction score
I just bought a set and thought Id save few bucks and install myself, not a good plan. Parts guy failed to tell me (probably didn't know) that after install it has to be flashed and configured through mopar website as an add on, of course only dealers can perform this most important step. Brought it to dealer they said it was done but boards would not work. They said it was probably something I did when pinning the supplied plugs and correct MY mistake it would work...wrong. Got the truck home and proceeded to check my wiring and noticed the power wire in the plug hanging a bit so I tried to push it back in the plug and the special proprietary crimp just snapped in half and found another wire severely chafed and it broke as soon as I touched it. I am very careful and checked those wires a couple times on the original install to make sure there was no mistakes and all of a sudden after the dealer does their thing I have two broken wires. Had to make a trip to another dealer an hour away because they are the only ones in the south that had a spare wiring harness to fix the problem. I can't prove it but I have a real good suspicion that the original dealer unplugged the harness under the dash when it didn't work and bugered up my harness. Oh and by the way after the second dealer fixed the issue they had to flash the computer and do the add on in the Mopar website, wasn't done by original dealer that claimed they took care of it. Sorry for the long story but pay a dealership to do the install, not worth the aggravation.
directions are wrong for wiring that connects at power distribution center..you need a good tech that can read a wiring diagram ,like i had too
my dealership here in town has a brake controller in stock. I put one in my 2019 and the parts guy said it wasn’t available till November 2020 but I bought this one and put it in took about 30mins. I had the have the service manager flash the computer and activate the brake controller feature in the truck. Total cost $250

RichM1983

Reaction score
Do you happen to know what the part number for the harness is. I got a set from a buddy that came off a truck with transportation damage ( one scuff) but I have a 2019 crew bighorn. My dealership can’t find the harness. Thanks

Did you ever find your part number? I went a similar route to you. I found a set of boards on ebay and they didn't come with any wiring. The dealer acted like they couldn't help me. Luckily my father in law had a connection at another dealer and they helped. Go to this link and scroll down and you'll find the part number and help you need. The dealer I called was Dutch Miller in Charleston, WV. If your local won't help maybe they can.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Would you guys consider the factory add on better than the amp aftermarket ones?

timtlu

Reaction score
Can't speak to the AMPs but I can tell you the Mopar ones have been flawless since I put them on a year ago. I couldn't be happier with them.

0051 MAR

Reaction score
I have a 2020 and just had the 2019 part number installed. They fit and work great, except the uconnect button isn't there. I'll be researching why is didn't show up. Tech at the dealership said it is only available when factory installed, but the posts above suggest otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread