5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Boards can OEM be add?

beanz690

Reaction score
Now why on earth would they sell the boards without the harness and module? That will probably swing me into doing the Amps steps instead.
I guess because it’s a take off, they just unplugged the harness closest to the steps and threw them on Craigslist.

RebelChip

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old but you guys that installed these please help me understand correctly. You can purchase the kit from the dealer with the wiring harness and the module corrrect? What kit should I get for my 2021 Rebel Crew cab?
I know I can do the install myself. What I don't understand is do you have to go to the dealer to have them flash your sytem to get the option to show up and operate the steps from my 12" u-connect screen?
I don't have my truck yet, still waiting for it to be delivered hopfully any day now and want to make sure I get everything figured out before it arrives.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old but you guys that installed these please help me understand correctly. You can purchase the kit from the dealer with the wiring harness and the module corrrect? What kit should I get for my 2021 Rebel Crew cab?
I know I can do the install myself. What I don't understand is do you have to go to the dealer to have them flash your sytem to get the option to show up and operate the steps from my 12" u-connect screen?
I don't have my truck yet, still waiting for it to be delivered hopfully any day now and want to make sure I get everything figured out before it arrives.
You can order the steps from any site that sells Mopar parts. Does not have to be the dealership unless they give you the best deal.
If you install them yourself the steps will operate with door open/close. You will need the dealer to program in the sales code that is in the installation instructions or use AlfaOBD to activate 3 options to get full integration.

Titorosas33

Reaction score
Where can I get a new harness for my power steps I can’t find it anywhere call dealer and told me that I have to buy a new set

356super

Reaction score
I just installed the Amp research boards on my 2020 Laramie and am a little disappointed in the drop. They work great but they are so low to the ground, your butt still rubs the seat when you enter the truck. I had them on my old 2005 Gmc Sierra and the height was perfect. How are the factory steps? Was considering changing them.

8baller18

Reaction score
You can order the steps from any site that sells Mopar parts. Does not have to be the dealership unless they give you the best deal.
If you install them yourself the steps will operate with door open/close. You will need the dealer to program in the sales code that is in the installation instructions or use AlfaOBD to activate 3 options to get full integration.
I have a 2020 limited 1500 and I am getting a 2022 2500 - They factory messed up and put chrome running boards on instead of the deployable boards. Can I take the ones off of the 1500 and put them on the 2500?

8baller18

Reaction score
I have a 2020 limited 1500 and I am getting a 2022 2500 - They factory messed up and put chrome running boards on instead of the deployable boards. Can I take the ones off of the 1500 and put them on the 2500?

CaptainJack

Reaction score
No, the 2500’s are pretty much a gen 4.5, they have the 4th gen cab with a 5th gen facelift. Mounting positions will be different

monty1269

Reaction score
No, the 2500’s are pretty much a gen 4.5, they have the 4th gen cab with a 5th gen facelift. Mounting positions will be different
Soooo... that's fun.

CaptainJack, or anyone else, do you happen to know the part numbers needed to add the retractable running boards to a 2022 2500 Laramie CC? or am I somewhere in that part number mixing bin?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Soooo... that's fun.

CaptainJack, or anyone else, do you happen to know the part numbers needed to add the retractable running boards to a 2022 2500 Laramie CC? or am I somewhere in that part number mixing bin?
You'll get the information quicker if you post this on the Ram HD forum. This forum is for 1500's.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
My dealer put power steps on my rebel but said it is not possible for them to enable the controls in uconnect despite that being step 1 in the instructions. Said only factory installed steps can do that. Anyway I got Alfaobd up and running and made the change myself. Problem is the setting showed up in uconnect but I only have 2 options, auto or store. Shouldn’t there be an option to deploy them? Anyone with a 22 running uconnect 5 done this with alfaobd?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
My dealer put power steps on my rebel but said it is not possible for them to enable the controls in uconnect despite that being step 1 in the instructions. Said only factory installed steps can do that. Anyway I got Alfaobd up and running and made the change myself. Problem is the setting showed up in uconnect but I only have 2 options, auto or store. Shouldn’t there be an option to deploy them? Anyone with a 22 running uconnect 5 done this with alfaobd?
No, auto and store are the only settings options. Deployment or retraction of the steps should be under the "Controls" tab at the bottom of your screen.

Your dealer can 100% add the sales code to your truck.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
No, auto and store are the only settings options. Deployment or retraction of the steps should be under the "Controls" tab at the bottom of your screen.

Your dealer can 100% add the sales code to your truck.
There is no controls menu in uconnect 5. Climate has its own screen with the usual controls bit nothing for the steps.

rs2433

Reaction score
Out of curiosity what setting needed to be changed? I have Alfa OBD arriving later today and want to get it programmed into my 2023 with UC5 but having a hard time finding the setting that need changed

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what setting needed to be changed? I have Alfa OBD arriving later today and want to get it programmed into my 2023 with UC5 but having a hard time finding the setting that need changed
Screenshot_20230827_104545_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread