5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Board Lighting

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm trying to just hook up 2 small LED light strips, has anybody tried this by using a fuse tap for the interior lighting? I'm guessing the F31 fuse, based off of this, but wanted to see if anybody has tried it already. https://5thgenrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2019-RAM-1500_All_New-OM-3rd_R2.pdf

View attachment 50268

I haven’t but you can test it easily enough in cabin before running and mounting the wires. I would imagine there is a relay to that switch which wouldn’t get you the results you are after by tapping it at the fuse but I could be wrong. I have some led strips. If I find some extra time I’ll test it. If you do it before me post back your results

Gunny1213

Reaction score
I installed LED lights for my running boards and tapped into my footwell lights just under the driver side dash next to the OBD plug. There are actually two lights and three wires Black, Yellow W/purple stripe and a Yellow w/Green stripe. Depending how you want your lights to work. the Yellow W/purple stripe wire is for the door assist any time you unlock or open any of the doors that light comes on and will turn off and fade with the interior dome lighting. The Yellow W/Green stripe will stay on while you are running during night time they are connected to your ambient lighting. The black wire is the negative wire. The connector can easily be removed from its base to make it easier to tap into if you decide that it will work for you. Hope this helps.

Stony0604

Reaction score
I installed LED lights for my running boards and tapped into my footwell lights just under the driver side dash next to the OBD plug. There are actually two lights and three wires Black, Yellow W/purple stripe and a Yellow w/Green stripe. Depending how you want your lights to work. the Yellow W/purple stripe wire is for the door assist any time you unlock or open any of the doors that light comes on and will turn off and fade with the interior dome lighting. The Yellow W/Green stripe will stay on while you are running during night time they are connected to your ambient lighting. The black wire is the negative wire. The connector can easily be removed from its base to make it easier to tap into if you decide that it will work for you. Hope this helps.
Awesome, thank you!!

Rhils39660

Reaction score

About to take on this project using the footwell lights on both sides. Can you explain or provide pics of where you ran the wires on each side out of the footwell area and down to the LED lights above the power steps?

Gunny1213

Reaction score
yes I will take pictures today and post them in this thread.

Gunny1213

Reaction score
The pictures are of the LED light connection I made to the footwell lights - I connected both passenger and driver side together and ran 1 wire to the footwell light and tapped into the wire from the connector. There are three wires associated with the connector a Black wire, Yellow wire w/purple stripe and a Yellow w/green stripe wire. The black wire is the ground wire and the Yellow w/purple stripe is the Dome/door assist lighting. this is the wire to connect if you want the lights to come on any time you unlock your truck or open any door and will fade out with the dome light. The yellow w/green stripe goes to the ambient lighting system - this wire will come on and stay on during night time only due to the sensor. My light LED kit also connected to the park and turn signal lights and will sequential with the turn signals. for the wiring of that option I used by 4-pin tow connector at the back of the truck and ran the wires to the front of the truck where I connected both driver and passenger LED lights in parallel, except the left and right turn signal was connected as a single connection. I hope this helps. By using the park light wire on the 4-pin connector the yellow running LED
strip light does not come on until night or rain basically anytime your regular lights come on and not your running lights. wire pull through.JPG IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0947.JPG IMG_0948.JPG IMG_0949.JPG IMG_0950.JPG The 4-pin tow plug I purchased was a extension plug that you would wire up for a trailer and connected to my LED light strip creating its own plug.

Rhils39660

Reaction score
Thanks for your time in response. I’m familiar with the firewall grommet for wire pass through. That may have to do. Was hoping to go nearly straight down on each side from both footwell lights through interior trim pieces in the footwell corners. This would nearly put me on top of the power steps with a shorter wire run...but I’d need to hear of/find a wire pass through near these locations on both sides.

Gunny1213

Reaction score
I understand - I ended up running a spare wire I had from the footwell light through the grommet and connected to the LED lights under the truck near the driver side.

Gunny1213

Reaction score
I believe there are plugs just under the doors threshold from under the truck that would come through a wire raceway which you would be able to see from removing the trim from the doorway. If you want to go that way. I did not want to take a chance of hitting any wires if I had to drill.

Stony0604

Reaction score
The pictures are of the LED light connection I made to the footwell lights - I connected both passenger and driver side together and ran 1 wire to the footwell light and tapped into the wire from the connector. There are three wires associated with the connector a Black wire, Yellow wire w/purple stripe and a Yellow w/green stripe wire. The black wire is the ground wire and the Yellow w/purple stripe is the Dome/door assist lighting. this is the wire to connect if you want the lights to come on any time you unlock your truck or open any door and will fade out with the dome light. The yellow w/green stripe goes to the ambient lighting system - this wire will come on and stay on during night time only due to the sensor. My light LED kit also connected to the park and turn signal lights and will sequential with the turn signals. for the wiring of that option I used by 4-pin tow connector at the back of the truck and ran the wires to the front of the truck where I connected both driver and passenger LED lights in parallel, except the left and right turn signal was connected as a single connection. I hope this helps. By using the park light wire on the 4-pin connector the yellow running LED
strip light does not come on until night or rain basically anytime your regular lights come on and not your running lights. View attachment 57006 View attachment 57008 View attachment 57009 View attachment 57010 View attachment 57011 View attachment 57012 The 4-pin tow plug I purchased was a extension plug that you would wire up for a trailer and connected to my LED light strip creating its own plug.
When connecting to the trailer plug, do the turn signals come on when you hit the brakes?

Babs

Reaction score
I'm trying to just hook up 2 small LED light strips, has anybody tried this by using a fuse tap for the interior lighting? I'm guessing the F31 fuse, based off of this, but wanted to see if anybody has tried it already. https://5thgenrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2019-RAM-1500_All_New-OM-3rd_R2.pdf

View attachment 50268
I like this Idea of F31 and it is more my level of installation and you do not have to cut a wire. Has anyone had any luck with this ?

Karl1088

Reaction score
Hello to USA,

can you help me urgently? I can't find the wire for the Bed Lights ... Does anyone have a photo of the wire in the door?

The wire from the footwell light does not work with the relay. Is bus controlled

Many Thanks thumbnail_IMG_3174.jpg

Gunny1213

Reaction score
- I hope this link works ,its for the Ram 1500 wiring its what I used to figure out what I needed to do for my own wiring project.

Karl1088

Reaction score
Thank you for your prompt reply. It's very complicated for me. am I correct in this wiring harness (photo)? I just can't find the right cable. MY2021 Limited, LED Bed Light (from manufacturer)

Karl1088

Reaction score
The Power on the light in the footwell has to low Power to Swich the relais

Conundrum

Reaction score
My AMP Steps have been on the truck since Fall/ Winter 2021. I just noticed tonight that even with the doors closed, truck off, and the steps up that the lights are staying on but they are dim. When the steps are down, they are brighter. Anyone else have light issues with the AMP Steps?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread