5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power inverter capacity

Matt_T

Reaction score
Good question... Where is the inverter located?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
If anybody knows the location of the inverter I would like to know.

I have 2019 with rambox and I found that the outlet the rambox has is pretty useless save for charging low end devices.
Small air pumps, vacuums or most other power tools its pretty useless.

skyninja

Reaction score
I tried plugging my drone charger in and overload happened. I have a Duracell 400w inverter that plugs into 12v accessory socket and that charges the drone batteries fine. Is it really a 400w inverter in the 2019 RAM 1500 Rebel?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I tried plugging my drone charger in and overload happened. I have a Duracell 400w inverter that plugs into 12v accessory socket and that charges the drone batteries fine. Is it really a 400w inverter in the 2019 RAM 1500 Rebel?
Doesn't matter which Ram 1500 model you have, the inverters are all the same rating. It doesn't produce a true sine wave so it's likely that's a problem for the charger you're using for the drone batteries. From what I've read, the inverter is located in the center stack below or behind the uconnect unit. I haven't tried to locate it myself yet.

My plan is to eventually install higher capacity inverter and run larger gauge wiring to the rambox outlet to increase the power output for that outlet. I'm not concerned with running anything in the cab requiring higher power so I'll leave the wiring alone for those two outlets.

Tommy R

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been trying to use the 300W AC outlet in the back seat of my truck to charge a power station (Ecoflow River Mini). The issue is that the power output from the inverter keeps cycling on/off. The power station displays input wattage and it will ramp up quickly to well over 100-140W and then immediately return to 0....rinse and repeat. It's as if it's continually tripping a breaker.

I've reduced the current draw on the power station down to 4 amps, but it still cycles. Does anyone know the max current of these outlets? I'd check my manual, but it's currently in storage and I don't have access to it. I'd hate to think 4 amps is too much for it, but who knows?

For what it's worth, I also tried the outlet in the front of the center console and experienced the same issue (not a surprise). I haven't tried the DC outlet in the dash (yet) and I don't have the option to charge off a USB C outlet in the back seat.

Thanks in advance,
Tommy

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been trying to use the 300W AC outlet in the back seat of my truck to charge a power station (Ecoflow River Mini). The issue is that the power output from the inverter keeps cycling on/off. The power station displays input wattage and it will ramp up quickly to well over 100-140W and then immediately return to 0....rinse and repeat. It's as if it's continually tripping a breaker.

I've reduced the current draw on the power station down to 4 amps, but it still cycles. Does anyone know the max current of these outlets? I'd check my manual, but it's currently in storage and I don't have access to it. I'd hate to think 4 amps is too much for it, but who knows?

For what it's worth, I also tried the outlet in the front of the center console and experienced the same issue (not a surprise). I haven't tried the DC outlet in the dash (yet) and I don't have the option to charge off a USB C outlet in the back seat.

Thanks in advance,
Tommy
Well it's been a long time since I studied electrical, but as I recall, V x A = W. So if you have a 300W inverter, and running 115V, then you can probably draw only less than 2A.

That said, the 2021-2022 models have a 400W inverter. Are you sure yours is a 300W inverter?

Tommy R

Reaction score
Yeah, mine’s a ‘19 and shows a max of 300W. Looks like I’m going to max out below 3A. Dangit… Time to do more research.

Camelot

Reaction score
I am late to this but for a 400W / 120 V inverter that equals 3.3 Amps

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like @Camelot said...you might be able to do it if you can reduce the draw to 3A on AC. I see the Ecoflow can draw twice that (6A) on AC and 8A on DC.

Pacifictime

Reaction score
Well it's been a long time since I studied electrical, but as I recall, V x A = W. So if you have a 300W inverter, and running 115V, then you can probably draw only less than 2A.

That said, the 2021-2022 models have a 400W inverter. Are you sure yours is a 300W inverter?
I think it might be 300W / 15V = 20Amps and I think the fuse for the power outlet is a 20Amp fuse.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it might be 300W / 15V = 20Amps and I think the fuse for the power outlet is a 20Amp fuse.
The discussion above was about output in AC, not input in DC.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The discussion above was about output in AC, not input in DC.
Correct. People are confusing AC and DC. The inverter is AC power. 400W is about 3 amps. You can’t plug in much with only 3A. A computer is fine.

P=IV
I=P/V
400W/120V=3.3A

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You know, if Ford can put a 2kW system in a gas truck or 2.4 in a hybrid, even a 7.2 as an option, Ram needs to step up thier game.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You know, if Ford can put a 2kW system in a gas truck or 2.4 in a hybrid, even a 7.2 as an option, Ram needs to step up thier game.
I believe the 7.2 (Lightning) requires engine running at fast idle, using output of the alternator/starter/generator. Not quite the same as an inverter. eTorque might be configured to do something like that with a bit of support circuitry, though I'm not sure you would get 7KW out of it. Food for thought, though. :)

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe the 7.2 (Lightning) requires engine running at fast idle, using output of the alternator/starter/generator. Not quite the same as an inverter. eTorque might be configured to do something like that with a bit of support circuitry, though I'm not sure you would get 7KW out of it. Food for thought, though. :)
I didn't look deep as I really didn't want a Ford. I just saw an option. No matter either of the others still shames the marketing gimmick they put in the Ram.

rst531

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Thanks in advance,
Tommy
I was wondering if the Ecoflow's would work. I found out that Ecoflow Delta 2 requires a pure sine wave with distortion rate 10% or less. So the Ram must have a modified sine wave which would start but then rest to 0, like the problem you have. So i guess Ecoflow's wont work, unless they can firmware update to work with modified sine wave.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the Ecoflow's would work. I found out that Ecoflow Delta 2 requires a pure sine wave with distortion rate 10% or less. So the Ram must have a modified sine wave which would start but then rest to 0, like the problem you have. So i guess Ecoflow's wont work, unless they can firmware update to work with modified sine wave.

It's funny to me when people repeat what others have already posted because they failed to read what other people have already posted in the same thread... 🥴
Doesn't matter which Ram 1500 model you have, the inverters are all the same rating. It doesn't produce a true sine wave so it's likely that's a problem for the charger you're using for the drone batteries. From what I've read, the inverter is located in the center stack below or behind the uconnect unit. I haven't tried to locate it myself yet.

My plan is to eventually install higher capacity inverter and run larger gauge wiring to the rambox outlet to increase the power output for that outlet. I'm not concerned with running anything in the cab requiring higher power so I'll leave the wiring alone for those two outlets.

Users who are viewing this thread