5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power folding mirror broken

Putty56

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been said already but if your mirrors are over rotating/bouncing off the mirror like mine were, I have a minor fix.

Power fold your mirrors out to their normal position, then whichever mirror is messed up push it all the way forward towards the hood. then close your mirrors using the power button.

I say minor fix because when I open and close it still skips a tooth in the rotator gear piece so its like a half second out of sync with the other mirror but its hardly noticeable to me...its the gear is totally stripped I doubt this will work.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My driver's side power folding mirror is now grinding gears. It also won't lock into place, it's very loose. The folding process is taking alot longer than normal. I can also hear the passenger side making noise, maybe because the drivers side isnt finished? I'll try to get a vid of it later. Not sure what the fix is.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Trucks in the shop now for this and the ac tsb

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just had my Passenger side replaced. Was at 36,400 miles when I brought it in but they were nice enough to cover it. I was on a road trip and by the time I got home it was over the 36K warranty expiration.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
They fixed mine. Supposedly the gears were stripped

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my drivers side is acting up now as well, wont lock into place seems very loose and when i close the door it bumps outta position, like
guy above one thing after a freakn another with these trucks, im at 40k 2019 BH CC 5.7

vetto

Reaction score
18600 miles on a 2019 1500.
Yesterday the LH mirror started having the same problem as above. One day left on base warranty. (Close one!) At dealership now and they logged it and are ordering a new mirror under warranty.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
18600 miles on a 2019 1500.
Yesterday the LH mirror started having the same problem as above. One day left on base warranty. (Close one!) At dealership now and they logged it and are ordering a new mirror under warranty.
Man, that was cutting it close. Glad you were able to get it fixed.
Don't worry, though, if this site is anything to by, it could fail again (happened multiple times to a few here).

cw77

Reaction score
Have had both of mine replaced as well. Fortunately, extended warranty covered both. Must be pretty widespread, as I'd barely gotten the words out of my mouth before dealer said he see's this all the time.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it not possible to just replace the motors? I know there's a fix with the metal gears, but for people that are out of warranty wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the motor?

I took apart my mirrors to run the new wiring for the BSM and it was a piece of cake!

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
im at 38k are guys gettinn these replaced
w the 3/36
or the 5/60
power train?

Extended warranty (extra purchase when you bought the truck) or 3/36. Powertrain does not cover the mirrors, as its not part of (or remotely close to) the powertrain.

Is it not possible to just replace the motors? I know there's a fix with the metal gears, but for people that are out of warranty wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the motor?

I took apart my mirrors to run the new wiring for the BSM and it was a piece of cake!

Have not had it happen to me, but busted a mirror (my fault) on my 2014 once. I don't think you can buy just the motor, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong if anyone knows differently. Only new major parts I've ever seen for the mirrors is a complete mirror/housing assembly, or the glass by itself.

If you include used parts at salvage yards or equivalent, then anything may be possible.

mbohos

Reaction score

Please check out this website I have order and replaced the gears and motors on my 2014 Ram Laramine

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please check out this website I have order and replaced the gears and motors on my 2014 Ram Laramine
I got that website. Was just curious if there's any other easy fix apart of changing out the gears. I'm going to buy a used mirror to try it out on. I need it for the glass, but well I'm add it, it gives me something to tinker with :D

Just trying to help people out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/