5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential 5th gen owner

Kidder

Reaction score
I currently drive a 2016 Ram 2500 4x4, long bed Cummins. It's a beast. However, we bought it with intentions on pulling a toy hauler and we have since sobered up. I had a 2011 Longhorn 4x4 1500 that I really liked. So, I started looking at the 2019. The interior is incredible and that has me thinking of the change.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Do it! Traded our 2017 2500 Cummins for a 19 Rebel. Nothing but problems in a year and a half with our 2500. Had a good amount of equity in the 2500 which made the decision to get the Rebel oh so much easier.

Kidder

Reaction score
Do it! Traded our 2017 2500 Cummins for a 19 Rebel. Nothing but problems in a year and a half with our 2500. Had a good amount of equity in the 2500 which made the decision to get the Rebel oh so much easier.

Wow, what problems have you had? My 2016 has had zero one issue with the exceptions of recalls. The one issue I did have when I was on a trip back to Kentucky was when I had a transmiission solenoid pack fail (truck was stuck in 4th or you could reverse or put it in park). Luckily I was fairly close to a dealer. But, since it was a Saturday, I had to wait until Monday for it to get fixed. They gave me a loaner for the weekend. There was a TSB out for the solenoid pack and luckily it was only a day warranty fix (they had to get the part, drain pan, install it, refill). I do my own maintenance and in fact I just changed the fuel filters yesterday before I went 2019 shopping. :cool:

I do like the uconnect voice to text feature on my 2016 better than Android Auto. I guess I would get used to it. I don't know why they took that feature away and you can only send predefined messages. Lame.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome, there are quite a few who have given up there Diesel to get the new 2019 1500. Hope it works out for you. Good luck.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Traded my diesel for a ‘19 1500 also. Had a 2010 3500 Laramie single rear wheel crew cab 6’4” bed I bought new as well. It only had 50,000 miles when traded. Dealer really wanted it ;). It was a very nice and accessorized truck but was no longer practical for me. As you can imagine, did not ride very well at all. Also had a older car as a daily driver. I traded both for this new 1500. It will meet all my towing/hauling needs and it is a daily driver as well.

Kidder

Reaction score
Well, I'm close to owning a 5th gen. I made a few concessions but I was leaning that way (no sunroof and short bed) anyway. The dealer has what I'm looking for which is a Laramie, off-road package, sport appearance group, eTorque, advanced safety, group 2 and 12" screen. All we need to figure out is what they will give me for my trade. That could be a deal breaker but I have a feeling they will come through. More to follow on Friday.

I'm also negotiating with them to add a trailer brake controller and bed lighting.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I'm close to owning a 5th gen. I made a few concessions but I was leaning that way (no sunroof and short bed) anyway. The dealer has what I'm looking for which is a Laramie, off-road package, sport appearance group, eTorque, advanced safety, group 2 and 12" screen. All we need to figure out is what they will give me for my trade. That could be a deal breaker but I have a feeling they will come through. More to follow on Friday.

I'm also negotiating with them to add a trailer brake controller and bed lighting.

Good luck!

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Not that you dont have this well in control, but what kind of trade are you trying to value? I'm the worst at thinking "this is darn near the perfect truck and acting" and then seeing similar trucks nearby not go anywhere for 8 weeks. That was a lot of talking just to be a friendly reminder that YOU have the upper hand here my friend

Kidder

Reaction score
Not that you dont have this well in control, but what kind of trade are you trying to value? I'm the worst at thinking "this is darn near the perfect truck and acting" and then seeing similar trucks nearby not go anywhere for 8 weeks. That was a lot of talking just to be a friendly reminder that YOU have the upper hand here my friend

My 2016 2500 Cummins. They are in high demand so I am expecting top dollar for it. I won't settle for a lowball price as it is a great truck it's just overkill for what I need these days.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a sahara and newer 5.0 mustang as a trade in recently, both had a great resale. The jeep overland I had was pretty much a dime a dozen and worked the same deal on that one. Dealerships will be FINE with you walking out after they figure out they wont make money on the deal, anything before that is fair game. Best of luck my friend

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2016 2500 Cummins. They are in high demand so I am expecting top dollar for it. I won't settle for a lowball price as it is a great truck it's just overkill for what I need these days.

Don’t settle for anything less. You are right, you have a very high demand used truck. I had a 2010 Laramie Cummins in top shape with only 50,000 miles that I traded. Amazing what they are worth still.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Sweet. Hope it works out. Be aware that it doesn't appear that the brake controllers are available yet for the dealerships to order so there may be some wait before they can install it. I've heard 2 months or more...there are a couple of us here and on other forums waiting on them.

Kidder

Reaction score
Sweet. Hope it works out. Be aware that it doesn't appear that the brake controllers are available yet for the dealerships to order so there may be some wait before they can install it. I've heard 2 months or more...there are a couple of us here and on other forums waiting on them.
Yep I heard they're not available yet, I'm in no hurry.

Kidder

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be joining the 5th gen club on Friday!

I'll post up pics when I get it. Highlights:
White Ram Laramie Sport
Off-road
Advanced safety
Level 2
eTorque Hemi
12" display
spray-in liner

I will add the Trailer Brake Controller and bed lighting at a later date.

I'm stoked.

Users who are viewing this thread