5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your Crew Cab 6’4 bed. (Official Longbed Thread)

skyhawk42

Reaction score
It's been 5 years since I started this thread and I just wanted to check in. So 5 years and 149,000 miles later there she is. Aside from the manifold bolts, brakes and battery she has not been needy, just thirsty. Hope all is well and have a good one!🐏

View attachment 172230
Mine is 2 years old with 40k and I thought that was a lot…

Attachments

• IMG_0929.jpeg
    IMG_0929.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 76

pber1

Reaction score
Danggg man already 149k miles? Thats awesome it’s been reliable haha. If I keep mine til that many miles I hope it stays reliable like that for me! Good to see your truck - yours was single-handedly the inspiration for my original lift and wheels/tires. Now here we are 5 years later I’ve got 25k+ in aftermarket stuff 😂 but you were the one that kinda got the ball rolling for me by posting pics of yours
Your truck hasn’t even been broken in haha! Thanks for the kudos, your truck looks amazing! Thanks for checking in. Haven’t been messing around on social media lately, so I got to get caught up because I’m sure you’ve swapped a lot of parts and added a gang of goodies. Hope all is well brother, take care of yourself!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Your truck hasn’t even been broken in haha! Thanks for the kudos, your truck looks amazing! Thanks for checking in. Haven’t been messing around on social media lately, so I got to get caught up because I’m sure you’ve swapped a lot of parts and added a gang of goodies. Hope all is well brother, take care of yourself!
Haha thanks man! Likewise. Happy new year!

Branko

Reaction score
2019 Laramie

Attachments

• IMG_7364.JPEG
    IMG_7364.JPEG
    240.6 KB · Views: 31

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
what makes you think a 6'4" is a "long bed"

Because unfortunately Ram no longer offers an 8‘ bed on the 1500. According to Ram, the 6’ 4” bed is the new long bed and the 5’ 7” is the new regular bed. I’m sure there are plenty of Ram 1500 owners that would love to have an 8’ bed. I’m assuming Ram didn’t sell enough to support future sales.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because unfortunately Ram no longer offers an 8‘ bed on the 1500. According to Ram, the 6’ 4” bed is the new long bed and the 5’ 7” is the new regular bed. I’m sure there are plenty of Ram 1500 owners that would love to have an 8’ bed. I’m assuming Ram didn’t sell enough to support future sales.
Plus it is still the Gen4 Body Style.

Malodave

oledirteh

Reaction score
2021 big horn 2500 w/ 38ft toy hauler behind it.

88k miles.
35 inch cooper at3's
Banks monster intake with heater grid delete.
Banks cold air intake
Firestone ride rite air bags
BD Diesel throttle sensitivity booster

Attachments

• 20220831_191230.jpg
    20220831_191230.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 32

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello dear 6'4" bed fans! Would one of you kind folk mind taking two width measures of your bed for me, please?

One nearest the cab, and one nearest the tailgate.

Why not do this myself, you may ask? Well, I've got two reasons. One is that I have a Retrax cover on it which makes it trickier to do so. The other, I'll be better able to explain once I get measurements from another bed.

Thanks!

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@JF19Longhorn @Threesuns1 Either of you (or anyone else) mind helping me out with the above measurements? I'm basically looking for the width from inside rail to inside rail, in two places: near the bulk head (orange line) and near the tailgate (blue line).

Attachments

• ram bed.jpg
    ram bed.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 16

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a bedcover with rails that go onto the top rails (BAK MX4). I'll see if I can get a good measurement point with them installed.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Best guess I can do is 61 7/8ths.

The rail interferes with an exact measurement, but that should be pretty close.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Best guess I can do is 61 7/8ths.

The rail interferes with an exact measurement, but that should be pretty close.
Thanks! I guess you’re in the same boat I am: the cover interferes with the measurement. The main thing I’m looking for is to see if there’s a difference between the bulkhead and tailgate measurement; the difference is what matters more than the precision of the measurement.

The reason I want to know is when I ordered my bedrack from Xtrusion Overland, they asked if my bed is straight (bed width same at bulkhead and tailgate) or tapered (bed narrower at tailgate). The bars are custom cut to fit a particular truck model, year, and bed size, rather than being an adjustable, one-size-fits-all design. The picture below may help picture this.

I answered straight, knowing that the 5’7” bed is straight, and that the Classic/4th Gen is tapered. I assumed, as perhaps incorrectly, that the 6’4” bed on the 5th Gen is also straight.

But a few things led me to question that assumption. First, when the rack is fully loaded with rooftop tent and other gear, the tailgate can sometimes not latch properly. This is especially true of my wife and dogs are in the tent.

Then, I removed the rack recently, and it kind of popped out of the brackets that hold it to my Retrax cover.

So I think my bed rack may be an inch or two too wide. Thus, it may have been pushing the bed sides out a bit, especially at the tailgate. Had I specified tapered bed, I would have gotten shorter crossbars that properly fit my bed.

This, aside from the cover, is why I didn’t simply take the measurement myself: my bed may have been forced wider at the tailgate that it would normally be. So my measurement would be wider than what it should be.

No big deal; I just need to disassemble the rack, cut the aluminum crossbars (easy to do with a metal cutting blade on a miter or chip saw), retap the bolt holes, and reassemble. (And maybe, if necessary, use a ratchet strap to bring the bed back into alignment at the tailgate end; I’m probably making this sound worse than it is).

But I first want to confirm the bed is indeed tapered, and by how much. That’ll give me a guide as to how much to trim the crossbars.

I may try to find a 6’4” bed on a dealer lot nearby (probably easier to find a quad cab) and take the measurements myself.

IMG_1760.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread