5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible to have power outlet in the bed?

Myk5486

Reaction score
I noticed that the in the Ram box there is a house outlet in one side. I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to put an outlet into the standard bed. I was not able to find a wiring diagram to see if possible. Any help is appreciated.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in something like that too. 12v outlet would work also

REBELmtnbiker

Reaction score
Could you tap into the 12V in the back seat console and run new wires and weatherproof plug into the bed somewhere?

RJS

Reaction score
If you have the 7-pin trailer plug there is both 12v constant on and ground available. You could just tap into them before the plug but I used a Curt 56584 adapter modified to pull the +/- off it so there were no tapped wires on the truck. A standard 7-pin wiring diagram will show which wires to tap.

zlman

Reaction score
If you tap power off the trailer plug it will only be energized in a key on - run situation, fyi.
I'm getting a cap soon. Need power for lights and wanted a 12v plug, I ran directly from the battery (fused) back this wknd.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I would go straight to battery with a fuse and some heavy gauge wire. That way if something shorts or overloads, you don;t also take out something in the cab. Be neat about it and zip tie it to existing wiring bundles and along the frame until you slip it up through a drain hole in a stake pocket. The factory inverter is pretty weak. You can buy stronger ones relatively cheap, but they need more juice than a standard 12v outlet can handle.

Btdpi007

Reaction score
If you tap power off the trailer plug it will only be energized in a key on - run situation, fyi.
I'm getting a cap soon. Need power for lights and wanted a 12v plug, I ran directly from the battery (fused) back this wknd.

I'm not certain this is true. I have tapped into the trailer plug to install led lighting in the truck bed and it is constant/always on.

zlman

Reaction score
I'm not certain this is true. I have tapped into the trailer plug to install led lighting in the truck bed and it is constant/always on.
I checked, key off, no power on mine.

ETA....well damnit, I was wrong, just checked again, constant power. Ugh wasted half a day and money on wiring.

Last edited:

7amada

Reaction score
Where is everyone putting the 12v in the bed?

pics please!

zlman

Reaction score
I like the power box, where did you find that?
I've got this one ordered.
s-l1600.jpg

Myk5486

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the suggestions! Great help.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haven't done it yet but I plan on running a Curt 56584 adapter wire up into the bed and connecting it to the junction box pictured below, so I have power for the bed, bed lights, third brake light on cap, after market reverse lights, and any future additions. I have all the parts just waiting to hook it up.
1675053476657.jpeg

zlman

Reaction score
Did this end up working out? Looks like it would be pretty close to fitting in the OEM bed light spot.
Works great, 3+ yrs now. Not sure if it would fit in OEM spot, I made a bracket, attached to my topper mount.

Users who are viewing this thread