5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pop behind dash (screen) and wont start

ktl5005

Reaction score
09A35786-FB1E-4FAD-B1E7-EB364DB06732.jpeg
Multiple cycles and obd2 reader clears the only code it found and these damn MIL lights are all still on. What the heck

ckayak1

Reaction score
So I have this happening this am for the first time. 2019 Limited with extended warranty and no one will answer the phone at RAM. Not sure if I should replace the battery to a Interstate AGM and will that fix my problem. Very troubling hearing a pop through the dash and radio. Sounds like a short type pop

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I have this happening this am for the first time. 2019 Limited with extended warranty and no one will answer the phone at RAM. Not sure if I should replace the battery to a Interstate AGM and will that fix my problem. Very troubling hearing a pop through the dash and radio. Sounds like a short type pop

Its Sunday, they're closed.
Based on the above, replace the battery

rws1944

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my 2019 1500 limited. The popping I heard was coming thru the anc speaker in the roof panel right next to the microphone pickup above the driver. My OEM battery was a lead acid h7 and I replaced it with an Interstate agm h8 for about $250. Haven't had a problem since.

Draconicus Mechanicus

Reaction score
Mine does the radio pop every time I hold the power button for a radio reset, I'm pretty sure that's just the radio/amp being funky when power cycled and not an actual symptom of electrical problems.
That being said, there's still a problem that's causing that radio power cycling, I'm just saying I don't think the actual pop is something to freak out over, at least I wouldn't but I don't 100% know.

Mine had a problem with charging during a drive and said it was in battery saver mode and then refused to do most things on the 12V side after shutdown and opening the door. Cut all power and wouldn't come back to life. Turns out it was a missing nut in the underhood fuse box, second forward from the rearmost stud, must have vibrated off during the drive. I don't think that's what your issues are, but might as well check. My symptoms were no dash activity and no response to key presses or ignition button, no locks, pretty much only had footwell lights and flashing ceiling lights. If you look at the underhood fuse box only one nut should be missing I think, N05, can't remember if the fuse box lid has that labeled or not. I had N02 missing causing my problems which I know is unlabeled, but it is tied to N01 which is battery+ into the box and needs that nut there to function correctly. See attachment for what I'm talking about.

I don't remember if mine had a pop behind the dash or not, it died when I opened the door. But after putting the nut back on there everything worked correctly and I had zero warnings or idiot lights, didn't even loose any settings with all the time the battery was removed from the truck and sitting overnight on charge. I remember seeing someone that had a damaged connector on their firewall passthrough, and another guy that had one of the connectors in the footwell broken from accidental kicking, there's no real protection from your left foot besides just not putting your foot up that high. Probably only an issue for taller people.

Attachments

• RAM1500_5th_Ext_Fuse_Diag.jpg
    RAM1500_5th_Ext_Fuse_Diag.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 14

srh545

Reaction score
I just experienced this. I work from home so have started truck in a few weeks. Went to start her up and got loud pop. **** went crazy. Wont start. Running boards deployed and blower or something under hood keeps recycling.

2020 Ram Night Edition with 11,500

MHS4575

Reaction score
My Ram 2500 diesel with 3,000 Miles has the same problem. When I Push the starter button I hear a loud pop under the hood and the headlights flash and the engine won't start. I tried to jump and then slow charge the battery. Same problem. It is odd that I have an appointment in 2 days. I hope the extended warranty will cover the towing fee. This is an unwelcome aggravation on a truck that isn't yet 1 year old.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey @MHS4575 ,

If you'd like some additional assistance while your vehicle is at the dealership, please DM us. We'd be happy to get you in touch with a case manager.

Callie
Ram Cares

Mizzera123

Reaction score
Does anyone have an update? I just got my truck back from the dealership due to the fuel pump recall and had the truck die on me last night trying to go home from restaurant. I tried to jump start it and hooked up jumper cable to both batteries but just kept getting a loud pop. Dealership is closed today so ill have to get it towed tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread