5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor sound quality on HK

Boutte2015

Reaction score
I purchased a 2019 ram 1500 Longhorn 5 months ago with the harman karden sound system and for the most part I have been pleased with it. But today on the way home from work the sound quality all of a sudden disappeared. It happened very suddenly and it sounds very staticky. I’ve tried turning it off and back on a few times but with no results. It has very poor quality on every media FM, AM, seriusXM, and Bluetooth. I never listen to audio on more than 50% so I don’t think it is likely that something is busted. I also have the 12” Uconnect system I’m not sure if that factors in. Thanks in advance for the responses!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a 2019 ram 1500 Longhorn 5 months ago with the harman karden sound system and for the most part I have been pleased with it. But today on the way home from work the sound quality all of a sudden disappeared. It happened very suddenly and it sounds very staticky. I’ve tried turning it off and back on a few times but with no results. It has very poor quality on every media FM, AM, seriusXM, and Bluetooth. I never listen to audio on more than 50% so I don’t think it is likely that something is busted. I also have the 12” Uconnect system I’m not sure if that factors in. Thanks in advance for the responses!
Warranty time!

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds like a loose connection, antenna? Best to just bring it in and they will pull the unit and check all the harnesses. While you’re at it make sure you ask them to apply the TSB for the HK system if it applies to your vin. They issued a major software update for the HK

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry this is happening to you. Please feel free to PM us your VIN and I would be happy to look into this for you.
Alison
RamCares

Czcon12

Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry this is happening to you. Please feel free to PM us your VIN and I would be happy to look into this for you.
Alison
RamCares
I have that system in my 17 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 19 Laramie with 12 in screen. The Jeep sounds much better and louder than the Ram. I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong, the door speakers have hardly any sound coming from them. In my Jeep you can feel the bass hitting your leg. I just bought the truck this week so I have to play around with it otherwise I'll have to bring it in, I do have something to compare it to.

spinxt

Reaction score
I have that system in my 17 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 19 Laramie with 12 in screen. The Jeep sounds much better and louder than the Ram. I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong, the door speakers have hardly any sound coming from them. In my Jeep you can feel the bass hitting your leg. I just bought the truck this week so I have to play around with it otherwise I'll have to bring it in, I do have something to compare it to.
Just had the TSB applied...it’s now one of the best audio systems I’ve ever heard in a vehicle

DSmith1178

Reaction score
Is there a new TSB after the original tsb back in 18 that Ive read about? I just bought my 19 Ram (build 2/19)with the HK and although its loud the bass is muddy and I have it set low. Also seems like I have to adjust it song by song. The highs dont sound as if they blend with the rest of the system. For 19 speakers im not impressed at all. Im using high quality audio as well, not sirius. The bose in my 2016 silverado was much better.
Dave

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had UAX and UCX Radio Enhancements - #008-009-19 REV. B. #008-009-19 REV. B (issued in Sept, 19) completed last week and no issues so far. I am not an audio expert but my HK system sounds better than ever. I am unsure if there were any improvements to the equalizer settings but it seems like it. I had the TSB applied due to distortion and radio and bluetooth playing over one another.

spinxt

Reaction score
Is there a new TSB after the original tsb back in 18 that Ive read about? I just bought my 19 Ram (build 2/19)with the HK and although its loud the bass is muddy and I have it set low. Also seems like I have to adjust it song by song. The highs dont sound as if they blend with the rest of the system. For 19 speakers im not impressed at all. Im using high quality audio as well, not sirius. The bose in my 2016 silverado was much better.
Dave
As far as I know, the only HK is for early build 2019 (mfg in 2018). All I can say is I have had Bose and other high end systems in my Grand Cherokee and Acura, the HK absolutely blows it away....

DSmith1178

Reaction score
As far as I know, the only HK is for early build 2019 (mfg in 2018). All I can say is I have had Bose and other high end systems in my Grand Cherokee and Acura, the HK absolutely blows it away....
I dont know if its me then but all I can say is the bass is sloppy and boomy, theres zero bass in the front doors and the highs can be ear piercing at times. I wish I knew somebody else near me with the same system I could compare it to. Im sure I have the latest tsb as the volume levels are good. I rented a grand cherokee early this year that had an outstanding system and i dont even think it was HK. I was excited as I thought id get something similar.

DSmith1178

Reaction score
I will try to do that in the meantime can anybody with the newest updates/firmware and are very happy with their HK system post a pic of their hardware system info page so I can compare to mine which I will also attach. Im especially interested in the EQ version, mine is 4.1. Thanks!

Attachments

• C2D7CF67-9766-473F-B796-0783A581C7F8.jpeg
    C2D7CF67-9766-473F-B796-0783A581C7F8.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 38

bigjake77

Reaction score
This also happened out of the blue to me last night on a long road trip. 2019 12” HK. Was looking forward to listening to the radio on long trip too.
All media sounded hollow tinny distorted and muffled, so not an antenna issue. Would like to know about TSB...what’s the deal there? Seemed to remedy itself this morning I did do a radio reset midway through the trip yesterday to no avail on the radio settings. Yet seemed to work this morning. Disconcerting , kind of the heart of the vehicle. Starting to think I should I trade in Ford...yikes.

Jimhl

Reaction score
Did your problem get fixed? I bought a 22 ram 1500 and the radio sound quality sounds like the speakers are blown. My single dash speaker from the 70’s sounded better

jljbtm

Reaction score
Mine is out of warranty but would love to hear about updating with a TSB

Users who are viewing this thread